PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-03-2001, 05:32 PM #1
Kaewon

has been a member for 10 years
Silcened Barrels

I don't see these often, so I was wondering how many of you have used or use a silenced barrel?

Those of you who have used them, Do you know any good ways to make one?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2001, 08:47 PM #2
CockerMan86

CockerMan86 is a founding member
Silenced barrels are illegal, so you aren't going to find any.
Old 06-04-2001, 02:53 PM #3
Predator
10+

Predator is a Supporting Member
Predator is a founding member
Predator has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
altho they are Tourney illegal all the fields i have played at let me use mine, i have a BOA concealor, which they dont make anymore, and there is another org that makes them, they just go on the barrel you already have, and are in different sizes. they work well, and are accurate as well. they are good in rec ball. thats just about it, heavily wooded area's that u play in where if u cant see or hear them u have a great chance in taking lots of people out.

if u want to make your own go for it, sometimes homemade ones arent as good but they are fun to make, just find stuff and try it yourself, then u can see for yourself what u like to use and what works best.
Old 06-05-2001, 05:09 PM #4
CockerMan86

Silencers aren't tournament illegal, they are illegal by LAW, you aren't allowed to have a silencer on a gun.
Old 06-05-2001, 05:19 PM #5
hothead2

hothead2 is a founding member
ITS NOT A GUN it is a MARKER

gun (gun with squigly thing over the top of the u) n . 1. A weapon that fires BULLETS thru a metal tube, usu. by the EXPLOSION OF GUNPOWDER .
ping-pong

Last edited by hothead2 : 06-05-2001 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:23 PM #6
Predator
10+

ok settle down now, Silencers on Paintball guns/markers, or whatever u choose to call them are not illegal by law in certian places, some spots of the world and even in the US have restrictions on Silencers, now i live in PA and i talked to many law enforecment officials as well as lawyers and there is no such law that anyone knows of restricting Silencers on Paintball guns/markers. now there may be legislature in some parts of the US that u arent allowed to use them. you just have to do the research and find out. Hmm maybe a good idea for research paper for school. but like i said i have one and never was told it was illegal or that i couldnt use it, and i walked about 3/4 a mile (to my friends house) with my paintball gun out in the open many times, and only once got stopped for doing that. and i wasnt arrested.
Old 06-05-2001, 08:04 PM #7
CockerMan86

Really, then go here. I'm sure you'll mind will change really fast.
Old 06-06-2001, 01:54 AM #8
Pointed Stick

This is a subject I have more then a little interest in. The simple answer is that ANY object that can be used to silence a firearm below certain expectable levels (as determined by the BATF) is illegal to own. Theoretically, this means that if you can develop a silencer that will work ONLY for a paintball gun, you would be ok. Permanently attaching it to a paintball marker is not enough, though. For practical purposes almost all barrel silencers would be illegal. Modifications made inside the gun would be perfectly ok, though.

The most important thing to keep in mind is this: The BATF are not nice people. Never for one minute think that they are on your side, or that they want to help you out. Read the article that Cockerman86 linked to and youíll get some idea of what Iím talking about.

Cheers!
Old 06-06-2001, 02:22 AM #9
Predator
10+

CockerMan86

ah ok i read the article u linked me too, it didnt change my mind at all, unless i missed something it said Silencers arent illegal, they are ok to me! like it said check just to be sure tho, with your local aft person.
Old 06-06-2001, 01:27 PM #10
CockerMan86

http://www.corin.com/bill/paintball/silencer.html - Read That

Obviously you aren't reading cause the guy from the BATF, says that since the silencer used on a paintball barrel can be used on a real gun, it is illegal. You need to read the whole thing.
Old 06-06-2001, 04:03 PM #11
Predator
10+

who said that the silencer on a paintball gun can be used on a real gun?
Old 06-06-2001, 05:59 PM #12
Rival
Jedi Master

There are many people who can without much trouble at all **modify** a paintgun silencer to fit a real gun.

For this apparent reason all silencers on any kind of a firearm have been declared ILLEGAL.

There shouldn't have to be any more debate on this subject unless you'd prefer to take it to your local law enforcement.
From Cockerman86's website

Quote:
So there you go. The BATF thinks paintball marker silencers could be used to silence traditional firearms, making a paintball silencer ILLEGAL as provided by US law.
Old 06-06-2001, 07:02 PM #13
CockerMan86

That isn't my website, it is just one I found.
Old 06-06-2001, 07:35 PM #14
fogbow

fogbow is a Supporting Member
They're not illegal if you call them "barrel exestions." I beleive they were/are for sell at: http://www.willypete.com/ which the site was down with I posted that link so I can't tell you for sure.

I'm not sure if it's really worth the money for one and how much of a purpose it would really serve.
Old 06-07-2001, 01:38 PM #15
Tag_Scott

Tag_Scott is a founding member
OK
Here a few thing i want to clear up from experience

1. Silencers are not illegal, unregistered ones are. Your could sell them but that means paper work background checks and $200 fees.

2. ATF angets arent out looking for silencer toting paintball players but if you get in thier face they will nail you to the wall.

3. What is a silencer? by written law it is any "device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm" By precedent they must also have that familar form (excluding pillows etc) and must only reduce the noise levels so that an ordinary human with average hearing can tell the difference.

thank you
Old 06-12-2001, 12:21 PM #16
evildevine

like the other guy said up towards the top. a paintball "gun" is not a gun. it's a marker. not a firearm. a marker.
Old 06-12-2001, 12:58 PM #17
CockerMan86

evildevine-
We know what a paintball gun can be reffered to as.
However, if your trying to say that you can use silencers: you should have read the text, in the links I posted above. Basically the guy from the government agency says that it could be taken off a paintball barrel and but on a real gun. Therefore it is illegal.
But as Tag_Scott said you can sell them but it requires a lot of money. And owning one also costs a lot, because of all the paper work.
Old 06-12-2001, 09:17 PM #18
evildevine

no i understood the phrase, and i read the article and understand it all, it's just ridiculous. i'm not aiming anything at anyone here. sorry if it came off like that. gov't is ridiculous sometimes. just fit the silencer tol your paintball gun so that it doesn't work on a gun. just because it works for a paintball gun doesn't mean it HAS to work for a gun.
Old 06-12-2001, 09:59 PM #19
sorisko

im just wondering why all of these owner groups are posting how to make them and all if they are illegal, wouldnt they post somthing saying its illigal?
Old 06-12-2001, 11:35 PM #20
CockerMan86

Probably becasue they don't know. And it isn't every owners group. Usually the newbie gun's groups. M98s, spyders, pirahnas, f4s, etc.

I'M NOT FLAMING THOSE GUNS IN ANY WAY
Old 06-20-2001, 09:12 AM #21
sorisko

Actually I havent seen it in those guns owner groups... I have only seen it in like Talon OG, but oh well.....

If your wondering how to make it check out TOG here:

http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/talong...ods/index.html

(that isnt the direct address for the sinlencer.... scroll to the bottom and click on teh silencer thing.... Sorry I couldnt get you the direct address.... server is acting wierd...)