Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-22-2014, 11:12 AM #1
rgenerals19

Etek 4 vs Drone DX

I'm am confused on which marker to buy.... I don't really mind maintenance as long as it's not a lot, I'm not interested in any used gun and I'm a fan of planet eclipse because of there guns durability! But I've heard that the drone is also durable. Help if you can
rgenerals19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2014, 11:26 AM #2
BatmanLiera

the axe is better in my opinion it is smoother and quieter also more people have them i see truck loads of axes in my fields cpx badlandz pb explosion ohare they are everywhere and in the time i have playing i have seen 1 drone dx

if you can afford a geo or lv1 thats the only pe guns i would buy

etek is extremely loud and etha is loud aswell and vibrates alot in the hand i have shot both the first oones and the ones with the springless poppet upgrades
BatmanLiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:29 AM #3
rgenerals19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanLiera View Post
the axe is better in my opinion it is smoother and quieter also more people have them i see truck loads of axes in my fields cpx badlandz pb explosion ohare they are everywhere and in the time i have playing i have seen 1 drone dx

etek is extremely loud and etha is loud aswell and vibrates alot in the hand i have shot both the first oones and the ones with the springless poppet upgrades
I'm not really interested in the axe because of how it feels I felt one and didn't like it but I am either going to get a etek 4 or the drone. The axe doesn't really fit on my hands that great either

Last edited by rgenerals19 : 07-22-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 AM #4
BatmanLiera

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgenerals19 View Post
I'm not really interested in the axe because of how it feels I felt one and didn't like it but I am either going to get a etek 4 or the drone. The axe doesn't really fit on my hands that great either
well if you are dead set on those two i would check out an axe lol JK!!!

drone because it is not as loud and kick like the etek have you shot an etek and drone before?
BatmanLiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:38 AM #5
rgenerals19

Quote:
well if you are dead set on those two i would check out an axe lol JK!!!

drone because it is not as loud and kick like the etek have you shot an etek and drone before?
Haha..... I have felt a etek and loved the feel..... Haven't felt a drone but heard it is a great for for big hands..... But I forgot to mention that I don't really give a sh** about the loudness and as Long as it doesn't kick a lot, but i just want to know which gun is best for accuracy and consistency. If you can help me with that
Old 07-22-2014, 11:38 AM #6
Mr. Stealthy

Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Drone would be my pick out of those two. Has a nice shot feel and is also quieter than the etek.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:40 AM #7
rgenerals19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stealthy View Post
Drone would be my pick out of those two. Has a nice shot feel and is also quieter than the etek.
Ok but does it need a lot of maintenance and does it have a lot of problems??
Old 07-22-2014, 11:42 AM #8
PaintballinBanana
Paintball DUH

PaintballinBanana supports Pev's Paintball
PaintballinBanana plays in the APPA beginner division
PaintballinBanana supports Empire
I have a drone and the maintenance is isn't bad, takes like 5 to 10 minutes max. Only problem, if that's what you want to call it, is having to replace orings, but you have to do that with every gun.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 AM #9
rgenerals19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintballinBanana View Post
I have a drone and the maintenance is isn't bad, takes like 5 to 10 minutes max. Only problem, if that's what you want to call it, is having to replace orings, but you have to do that with every gun.
That is the truth! Is the drone accurate and consistent?? And how consistent do you have to repair it?
Old 07-22-2014, 11:46 AM #10
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgenerals19 View Post
That is the truth! Is the drone accurate and consistent?? And how consistent do you have to repair it?
Accuracy amd consistency is almost completely dependent on your cleaning and maintenance of the marker and the quality of yoyr paint. (Also your own aiming)

The only only time you ever really have to "repair" electronic markers is when an oring wears out after dozens of cases.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:48 AM #11
rgenerals19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningPlaydoh View Post
Accuracy amd consistency is almost completely dependent on your cleaning and maintenance of the marker and the quality of yoyr paint. (Also your own aiming)

The only only time you ever really have to "repair" electronic markers is when an oring wears out after dozens of cases.
Do you have to clean it consistently or just sometimes? The etek 4 needs barely any maintenance
Old 07-22-2014, 12:50 PM #12
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Drone does require consistent cleaning and relubing to avoid bolt stick. However, it does only take like 5 minutes once you learn your way around the insides of the marker.

2014 Vapor FST

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:07 PM #13
rgenerals19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller View Post
Drone does require consistent cleaning and relubing to avoid bolt stick. However, it does only take like 5 minutes once you learn your way around the insides of the marker.
Ok so it isn't like all the other spools when you have to maintain it like 20 times in one day? lol but that sounds reasonable to me
Old 07-22-2014, 02:01 PM #14
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

I would pass on the Etek... I haven't shot the Drone, but my goodness is the Etek loud and kicky. So take the Drone. lololol
iPaintSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:06 PM #15
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Most spools don't need cleaning through the day if PROPERLY lubed. I've owned many many spools and the key is learning how to lube them. Most like a VERY light coat of lube after every day of play, and a good wiping off of all the old lube before said lubing. There are some you can get away with lubing less frequently, or overlubing, but they won't be as consistent shot to shot as they can be.

Learning proper lubing technique is 90% of the key to using spools. I personally am a GIGANTIC fan of spools, currently owning a NXT Shocker, VX'd & GTi'd V2 Clone, GTi's GT Clone, Demon, V1 + VCOM engine, VCOM (currently with VIS engine however), Rogue v2, 2012 Vapor, and 2014 Vapor.

2014 Vapor FST

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:23 PM #16
NargofWoV
Ole Cocker.. user

NargofWoV is playing at Living Legends VII
I like my drone, use it as a back up to my LV1. Sometimes just flat out play with my drone over the lv1 as they are different markers and sometimes I just feel like a spool. The drone performs at a high level, to me, much higher than their price point. As I won't let me kid take both our LV1's to tournaments, he uses the drone as a back up. Team mates have used it in both d5 and d6 tournaments and he has had rave reviews from team mates on how it shoots.

For what its worth. I would buy the drone before I would by an etek4. Maintenance wise, it doesn't matter to me as everything gets cleaned and lubed after each round of play. None are more difficult than the others, at least to me.
NargofWoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:47 PM #17
redfury1187

redfury1187 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
redfury1187 supports Team VICIOUS
redfury1187 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i would say drone. the shot is comparable to my geo 3 if that means anything to you.
Ninja tank SL
redfury1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:17 PM #18
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Maintenance really isnt that different on most markers. Blow forward spools like the Drone are actually very dependable even if people dont keep up well with maintenance amd even poppets like the Etek should be maintained between each day of play if you want proper performance.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:25 PM #19
p8ntballr68059
Post whore since 08

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
Quote:

i think you are in love with the axe. you tell everyone looking for a budget gun to buy one.

okay now that we have that out of the way..
go with the drone it is very efficient for a spool way more quiet. it may not feel the same in the hands but i prefer the macdev guns over an pe anyday.
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Insight,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:20 PM #20
rgenerals19

But what about the photo reflex rail..... I heard it needs loads of maintenance and that is a spool
Old 07-22-2014, 08:33 PM #21
floods
Ph 4:12

floods plays in the PSP
floods owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
floods plays in the APPA D4 division
Don't be afraid of maintenance. Be afraid of repair.

I shoot a Luxe, which most people say is ZOMG MAINTENANCE: Remove engine, take 4 pieces apart, wipe, lube, reassemble, cotton swab the detents & eyes, swap the barrel and body... done.

Sure there are occasional things like rebuilding a reg, but in the age if the interwebs you can find tutorials on anything. The only thing that can be difficult on markers is locating leaks if/when you get one. If you have a modicum of mechanical aptitude and responsibility then paintball markers are extremely easy to maintain.

TL;DR - Maintenance is largely over-exaggerated