MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
I wouldn't worry about that. Every bolt that uses an Axe tip has a flush straight transition between the aluminum body and rubber tip. Axes are arguably better with fragile paint than anything else. I wouldn't worry about the lack of a taper.
Axes have a beveled tip It's not the body milling, it's the transition of the bolt through the paintballs in the stack. Not all paint is the same size or strength. That second ball in the stack can hang lower or higher depending on size. The bevel just helps the bolt transition smoother without smacking that second ball in the stack so hard. It's the exact same reason you don't want roll back.

It just blows my mind they would go to all the trouble of designing a soft tip, and not include that one obvious feature. Maybe there just wasn't enough room between the breech, the fastening point on the bolt and the nearest oring to make it work. Who knows.

Either way it's still an improvement.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" critical .680 barrel and cure 3 + bolt F/S

DM12 red with matching Boomy F/s
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2014, 03:53 PM #86
imped4now
BTFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
Axes have a beveled tip It's not the body milling, it's the transition of the bolt through the paintballs in the stack. Not all paint is the same size or strength. That second ball in the stack can hang lower or higher depending on size. The bevel just helps the bolt transition smoother without smacking that second ball in the stack so hard. It's the exact same reason you don't want roll back.

It just blows my mind they would go to all the trouble of designing a soft tip, and not include that one obvious feature. Maybe there just wasn't enough room between the breech, the fastening point on the bolt and the nearest oring to make it work. Who knows.

Either way it's still an improvement.
I'm well aware about what's going on between the bolt and loader but thanks for the review.

You're right, the stock Axe tip is beveled and the Exalt tip is not.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:46 PM #87
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2thousand4 View Post
Correct. I never said the efficiency would increase. From my experience testing it, the efficiency dropped by a pod or so. The ability to handle fragile paint definitely outweighs the benefit of another pod.
Lost about half a pod but the sound signature has gone way down.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:59 AM #88
G-Hottest

I need one of those!
G-Hottest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:13 AM #89
smokefools66
Overkill is underrated

smokefools66 supports Team VICIOUS
smokefools66 supports Team VICIOUS
smokefools66 supports Empire
Definitely happy with my new bolt with the little big of paint I've put through it so far. I can't can't wait to take it to the field today!
smokefools66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:22 PM #90
Carlos_Is_King

New bolt is well worth the money I've put a bit over a case through my Insight with it and it's smoother/quieter and handles fragile paint perfectly not a single break shooting ultra evil. I was shooting between 290-295fps with the stock bolt/ram I put the new bolt/ram and shot a few pods and went to chrono and I had an fps increase shooting between 305-310fps. I lowered my pressure until I was shooting about 295 again and played for awhile shooting a case of Ultra Evil then when I checked my fps after I was done playing I was shooting at 305 again I lowered the pressure a bit and it shot 299 299 297.

Marq Clan
Insight Owners Group
Carlos_Is_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:10 PM #91
juggernaught_lives
Mowing Fools Since 1987

juggernaught_lives plays in the PSP
juggernaught_lives is for the Gunfight
OK, so I was ****ing around with the new Bolt and what I found was when you place the ball on the end (if you are standing the bolt up) it sits on it no issues if you just touch/tap the ball ever so lightly it recess into the bolt face. IMO, this works out great for the ball stack, so there is no real gap for the next ball to get "clipped" to create the dreaded chop. This explains why it is gentler on fragile paint as well.

Just picture the ball in the breech, ready to be shot, sitting in front of the bolt and when it you shoot the marker the detents hold the ball in place while the bolt move forward until it is cupped in to the bolt then gets pushed forward. This help relieve ball distortion entering the barrel and close the gap between the bolt face and the Ball In Breech creating a smoother transition for the next ball to ride on.

Now, I'm not sure if that was intentional or just a happy side effect.
Dye i4 LENSES and MASK BAGS F/S/T
Disruptive Custom Anodized Full Barrel Kit with 15" Carbon Fiber Tip and Barrel Case

Last edited by juggernaught_lives : 08-04-2014 at 08:17 PM.
juggernaught_lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:55 PM #92
MstrKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaught_lives View Post
OK, so I was ****ing around with the new Bolt and what I found was when you place the ball on the end (if you are standing the bolt up) it sits on it no issues if you just touch/tap the ball ever so lightly it recess into the bolt face. IMO, this works out great for the ball stack, so there is no real gap for the next ball to get "clipped" to create the dreaded chop. This explains why it is gentler on fragile paint as well.

Just picture the ball in the breech, ready to be shot, sitting in front of the bolt and when it you shoot the marker the detents hold the ball in place while the bolt move forward until it is cupped in to the bolt then gets pushed forward. This help relieve ball distortion entering the barrel and close the gap between the bolt face and the Ball In Breech creating a smoother transition for the next ball to ride on.

Now, I'm not sure if that was intentional or just a happy side effect.
That's why the exalt bolts have the cross piece. It's the same as the pillow on bob long bolts. It keeps the ball from rolling back into the face, which helps keep the stack straight.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:09 PM #93
juggernaught_lives
Mowing Fools Since 1987

juggernaught_lives plays in the PSP
juggernaught_lives is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
That's why the exalt bolts have the cross piece. It's the same as the pillow on bob long bolts. It keeps the ball from rolling back into the face, which helps keep the stack straight.
But the Original BL tip does not recess as much when the bolt moves forward, causing a gap between the ball being fired and the bolt and the next ball in the stack falls into that gap getting clipped by the bolt. This is why the bolts have that little bit of ramping on the edges of the bolt, to prevent that clipping.
Dye i4 LENSES and MASK BAGS F/S/T
Disruptive Custom Anodized Full Barrel Kit with 15" Carbon Fiber Tip and Barrel Case
juggernaught_lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:15 AM #94
MstrKey

bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaught_lives View Post
But the Original BL tip does not recess as much when the bolt moves forward, causing a gap between the ball being fired and the bolt and the next ball in the stack falls into that gap getting clipped by the bolt. This is why the bolts have that little bit of ramping on the edges of the bolt, to prevent that clipping.
Yup. It'll still happen though. Paintballs are obviously round so when one moves forward the one above it drops, plus they come in different sizes. A smaller ball will still hang down into the breech and get clipped regardless of rollback. That's why I still wish there was a larger taper on the front of this bolt.

You're right though, the springiness combined with the resistance of the detents will certainly help close that "gap" a lot better. It's almost as though the bolt can still move forward a bit while the ball is being held under the stack, assuming the tensile strength of the rubber is where it needs to be. It's a pretty good idea. I have no clue what the durability factor on that rubber cross piece is though.

It makes me want to mod some other open face bolts with a simple spring inside to achieve the same effect. Too bad I have no tools of any kind

Old 08-06-2014, 01:45 PM #95
RyanR
accuracy by volume

RyanR is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
why bother attempting to use other bolt tips?

IOG
RyanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:41 AM #96
MstrKey

bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
why bother attempting to use other bolt tips?
I meant for other guns in general. Not this one.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:49 AM #97
Mr. Stealthy

How does this bolt effect the efficiency? I assume slowing the bolt down some would have an impact.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:23 AM #98
IBleed Arbor
vtec just kicked in, yo!

IBleed Arbor plays in the PSP
IBleed Arbor owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
IBleed Arbor is reppin' sidebar 4 life
IBleed Arbor is Boss
IBleed Arbor supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stealthy View Post
How does this bolt effect the efficiency? I assume slowing the bolt down some would have an impact.
It makes it less efficient. Not by much.
IBleed Arbor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:10 AM #99
tim2thousand4
Breakout Action Sports!

Annual Supporting Member
tim2thousand4 is BST Legit
tim2thousand4 is playing at Living Legends VII
tim2thousand4 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tim2thousand4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tim2thousand4 supports DLX Technology
I found about a pod less efficient. So again, not much

These guns are cleaner than bleach! LOOK!
tim2thousand4 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.