Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2014, 04:08 PM #1
yourPBfriend
Your Paintball ProShop
 
yourPBfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Fransico Bay Area
Annual Supporting Member
yourPBfriend is BST Legit
yourPBfriend is playing at Living Legends VII
yourPBfriend has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
yourPBfriend owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
NEW Bob Long Insight Soft Shot Bolt Upgrade

The New Bob Long Insight Soft Shot Bolt is out! They Retail $69.95 (MADE BY BOBLONG)


The Bob Long Soft Shot bolt is a drop in replacement for the Insight only. The new brass ram design slows down the speed of the bolt. This in-turn allows you to turn down the pressure. Lower pressure provides less kick, more efficiency and combined with the new soft tip bolt the ability to shoot the most fragile of paint. Used by the yourpbfriend paintball team this has been proven to be a very worthwhile upgrade.

Although this upgrade does slow the bolt cycle down it is still the fastest spool on the market. After using this bolt neither I nor my team have noticed really any difference in the responsiveness of the marker. Personally I feel this is a must have for the insight.

Features:
Softer on brittle paint
Softer shot with less kick
Quieter sound signature
More efficiency

Because everyone has asked me. Here is a quick video about the new Insight Soft Shot Bolt. Video of it will be done monday.

Last edited by yourPBfriend : 07-19-2014 at 11:05 PM.
yourPBfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2014, 05:13 PM #2
Chad1Sable
 
 
Chad1Sable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oregon
 has been a member for 10 years
Chad1Sable supports DLX Technology
Would like to see a side by side video of this and a stock setup.
__________________
MARQ CLAN
Take One
Chad1Sable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:43 PM #3
imped4now
BTFU
 
imped4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Indianapolis
 has been a member for 10 years
x2 on a video.

What problems were you guys actually having with the stock setup? After studying the bolt a bit more and using my new to me Insight last weekend, the design doesn't seem to be as 'hard on paint' as some make it out to be. The forward bolt pressure is extremely low (stick your finger in the breach and see for yourself) and only the return speed is faster than most. As long as the bolt delay setting is used with an appropriate time, I just don't think paint breakage will be an issue. But then again, I'm new to the platform so I could be missing something. Regardless, I'd like to see some actual results and tech brought to the table.

Additionally, the stock gun is already smooth, quiet and efficient. I understand how slowing the bolt return will aid in smoothness but I fail to see how it will aid in efficiency, given the fast return is a big reason for the Insight's excellent efficiency. Lowering the pressure doesn't automatically always = improved efficiency.

Educate me please.
__________________
OLD FEEDBACK>>40+ 0-
OlllllllO
I only argue with intelligent people.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:50 PM #4
gamer565
*****es love cannons!
 
gamer565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OK
Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
Will it still eat thru lube like a fat kid on Halloween?
__________________
Jolly Green (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

gamer565 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:52 PM #5
Carlos_Is_King
 
 
Carlos_Is_King's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: CT
Carlos_Is_King has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1Sable View Post
Would like to see a side by side video of this and a stock setup.
Yea a vid comparing sound sig and efficiency would be great


Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer565 View Post
Will it still eat thru lube like a fat kid on Halloween?
Fat kids eat lube on Haloween?
__________________
Marq Clan
Insight Owners Group

Last edited by Carlos_Is_King : 07-18-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Carlos_Is_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:10 PM #6
imped4now
BTFU
 
imped4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Indianapolis
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer565 View Post
Will it still eat thru lube like a fat kid on Halloween?
Have you tried using Lurker lube in your Insight? That lube sticks around.
__________________
OLD FEEDBACK>>40+ 0-
OlllllllO
I only argue with intelligent people.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:38 PM #7
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado
 
Big Papa Pink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NoCO
Annual Supporting Member
Big Papa Pink is BST Legit
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Big Papa Pink has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Big Papa Pink supports DLX Technology
I'll need to see a side-by side efficiency test before I believe this will increase efficiency. Slowing the bolt down would seem to eliminate the return to battery advantage the Insight has which is the reason it is efficient.
I don't see a need for a smoother shot, the Insight is already smooth enough for me.
A quieter shot, not something I need,
More efficient, prove it i guess. I'll believe it when I see it.
Who makes this? Is it a Bob Long shop upgrade or was it designed by someone different?
I'll pick one up to test with, but we'll see beyond that.
__________________
Domination through Saturation
Old and Slow
MARQ CLAN
INSIGHT OWNERS GROUP

Current Dark Side Markers:
Active: Several Markers
Active Reserve: Many, Many More
Retired from Active Service: A Few limited edition yet fully functional markers

Trade/Sale Threads:
None Currently
Big Papa Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:53 PM #8
JL1988
 
 
JL1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: So cal
JL1988 plays in the APPA D5 division
Big Papa- It was posted on BLAST's Facebook.

I was thinking the price was going to be around $40....would have jumped right on it for that price...but for $70...I'll have to give it a little more thought.
JL1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:43 PM #9
LunarEclipse02
 
 
LunarEclipse02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kentucky
To me it looks like a crappy Exalt bolt. It uses the exact same Exalt rubber tip which are crappy. I have owned two Exalt bolts one in my Geo 2.1 and one in my Axe and both bolts were inferior compared to stock due to that rubber tip design. The rubber tip would rub too much and cause bolt stick on both markers. But since the bolt is attached to the ram maybe it won't be an issue. But I believe the stock bolt is a better bolt by view of function alone. I am also wondering if the ram in this kit can work with the stock bolt? Does it use the same threads? I know the only reason this kit would do any benefit is the ram has more weight compared to stock. So what's everyone else's thoughts?
LunarEclipse02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:46 PM #10
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity
 
martix_agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Indiana
Annual Supporting Member
martix_agent is playing at Living Legends VII
martix_agent is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
If you don't like the bolt tip, you could always use the stock one instead.
martix_agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:50 PM #11
LunarEclipse02
 
 
LunarEclipse02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kentucky
I didn't know if the threads were the same to use the stock bolt.
LunarEclipse02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:23 PM #12
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado
 
Big Papa Pink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NoCO
Annual Supporting Member
Big Papa Pink is BST Legit
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Big Papa Pink has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Big Papa Pink supports DLX Technology
I would be surprised if the new shaft will work with the current bolt ... I guess we'll see. I picked up a couple of these from Tim to test. We'll see what they bring to the Insight package.
__________________
Domination through Saturation
Old and Slow
MARQ CLAN
INSIGHT OWNERS GROUP

Current Dark Side Markers:
Active: Several Markers
Active Reserve: Many, Many More
Retired from Active Service: A Few limited edition yet fully functional markers

Trade/Sale Threads:
None Currently
Big Papa Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:31 PM #13
LunarEclipse02
 
 
LunarEclipse02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kentucky
Big Papa Pink please inform me all your conclusions. I appreciate all you have done for us fellow Bob Long owners.
LunarEclipse02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:41 PM #14
yourPBfriend
Your Paintball ProShop
 
yourPBfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Fransico Bay Area
Annual Supporting Member
yourPBfriend is BST Legit
yourPBfriend is playing at Living Legends VII
yourPBfriend has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
yourPBfriend owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1Sable View Post
Would like to see a side by side video of this and a stock setup.
We will get one out monday for you guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
x2 on a video.

What problems were you guys actually having with the stock setup? After studying the bolt a bit more and using my new to me Insight last weekend, the design doesn't seem to be as 'hard on paint' as some make it out to be. The forward bolt pressure is extremely low (stick your finger in the breach and see for yourself) and only the return speed is faster than most. As long as the bolt delay setting is used with an appropriate time, I just don't think paint breakage will be an issue. But then again, I'm new to the platform so I could be missing something. Regardless, I'd like to see some actual results and tech brought to the table.

Additionally, the stock gun is already smooth, quiet and efficient. I understand how slowing the bolt return will aid in smoothness but I fail to see how it will aid in efficiency, given the fast return is a big reason for the Insight's excellent efficiency. Lowering the pressure doesn't automatically always = improved efficiency.

Educate me please.
To my understanding from Bob the insight has a preset shut off the the air like the GSL. That is why dwell tuning dosent save air aswell why the lower pressure dosent effect the efficiency negatively. Being able to turn down the pressure of the gun allows it to use less air. The purpose of this kit is NOT mainly to give better efficiency but rather for the softer shot. You will be surprised, it did make a difference you can fill. That is one of the complaint I see people give about the insight. Myself I love it either way.

Also the insight is harder on paint then most guns are. We still dont have issues with me team but slowing it down going forward has made a differance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer565 View Post
Will it still eat thru lube like a fat kid on Halloween?
We have found that using monkey poo has helped us and the 100s of people that have purchased insights from us to have the guns last so much longer with it. I shot 6 cases this past tournament without relubing my insight. Any high quality lube of Dow33 mixed with a high quality oil will have that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Is_King View Post
Yea a vid comparing sound sig and efficiency would be great
Fat kids eat lube on Haloween?
For sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Have you tried using Lurker lube in your Insight? That lube sticks around.
True that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papa Pink View Post
I'll need to see a side-by side efficiency test before I believe this will increase efficiency. Slowing the bolt down would seem to eliminate the return to battery advantage the Insight has which is the reason it is efficient.
I don't see a need for a smoother shot, the Insight is already smooth enough for me.
A quieter shot, not something I need,
More efficient, prove it i guess. I'll believe it when I see it.
Who makes this? Is it a Bob Long shop upgrade or was it designed by someone different?
I'll pick one up to test with, but we'll see beyond that.
This Soft Shot Bolt has been made by Bob Long. They have tested it for awhile.

What the majority of people who dont fully appreciate the insight want is a smoother/softer shooting gun. This will give that. I myself loved the insight the way it was BUT after using the upgrade, I wont not be using it haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1988 View Post
Big Papa- It was posted on BLAST's Facebook.

I was thinking the price was going to be around $40....would have jumped right on it for that price...but for $70...I'll have to give it a little more thought.
Ill give it to you that its pretty simple and that makes the $70 hard to swallow. It is made out of brass which is more costly then aluminum. Either way I think after shooting the marker with the upgrade you will probably fell its worth while. If you would like the softer shot though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarEclipse02 View Post
To me it looks like a crappy Exalt bolt. It uses the exact same Exalt rubber tip which are crappy. I have owned two Exalt bolts one in my Geo 2.1 and one in my Axe and both bolts were inferior compared to stock due to that rubber tip design. The rubber tip would rub too much and cause bolt stick on both markers. But since the bolt is attached to the ram maybe it won't be an issue. But I believe the stock bolt is a better bolt by view of function alone. I am also wondering if the ram in this kit can work with the stock bolt? Does it use the same threads? I know the only reason this kit would do any benefit is the ram has more weight compared to stock. So what's everyone else's thoughts?
The ram does work with the stock tip. The first prototype I tested I broken the tip. They went back and beefed it up. To my understanding these ones are stronger then before and shouldnt break like the other ones did all the time. I didnt have any issues of bolt stick or drag while using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
If you don't like the bolt tip, you could always use the stock one instead.
True that!
yourPBfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:15 PM #15
soccerstud_2009
I LIKE TURTLES
 
soccerstud_2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Springfield MO
Annual Supporting Member
soccerstud_2009 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerstud_2009 plays in the APPA D4 division
As long as the bolt tip holds up then im game, the exalt bolt tips in the past haven't been the best
__________________
AC: 101

Last edited by soccerstud_2009 : 07-18-2014 at 09:22 PM.
soccerstud_2009 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:20 PM #16
LunarEclipse02
 
 
LunarEclipse02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerstud_2009 View Post
As long as the bolt tip holds up im game, the exalt bolt tips in the past haven't been the best
That's how I feel. I will wait and Big Papa Pink test it out for me. But as of now I am pretty happy with my Insight. But I haven't used it in a cold winter yet.
LunarEclipse02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:45 PM #17
Carlos_Is_King
 
 
Carlos_Is_King's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: CT
Carlos_Is_King has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
As long as it does what's advertised I'll be getting this bolt and the $70 price tag seems fair considering a replacement stock tip is $45
__________________
Marq Clan
Insight Owners Group
Carlos_Is_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:29 AM #18
soccerstud_2009
I LIKE TURTLES
 
soccerstud_2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Springfield MO
Annual Supporting Member
soccerstud_2009 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerstud_2009 plays in the APPA D4 division
Mines ordered
__________________
AC: 101
soccerstud_2009 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:33 AM #19
rkenders
Northern Colorado
 
rkenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarEclipse02 View Post
Big Papa Pink please inform me all your conclusions. I appreciate all you have done for us fellow Bob Long owners.
I know the girl in your pic is hot...don't know about the bolt tho. The Insight is one of my very favorite guns and that's bone stock. I have a Clone Gti, LV1, Ripper and G6r and the gun that comes out to mow faces almost all the time is the Insight.

This bolt looks like a techt bolt with a tail on it and some metal removed off the bolt to reduce weight. I have to wonder how the air passes down that small passageway and then to the bolt face. Is it venturi inside the bolt? Does the soft face act like a front o-ring too? The last thing I want is the problem that people have had with breach wear in their Insights. The entire assembled bolt looks like the original bolt except for the metal removed on the bolt head. So I'm uncertain where the gain is.
__________________
Insight NG and DP Threshy for sale
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4417953
rkenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:43 AM #20
yourPBfriend
Your Paintball ProShop
 
yourPBfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Fransico Bay Area
Annual Supporting Member
yourPBfriend is BST Legit
yourPBfriend is playing at Living Legends VII
yourPBfriend has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
yourPBfriend owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
I think your missing it bud. The point to the engine is the brass shaft. Brass is heavier then the original aluminum ram. The weight is what allows the Bolt to move slower. The air travel a through the bolt face like normal.
yourPBfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:03 AM #21
rkenders
Northern Colorado
 
rkenders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northern Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourPBfriend View Post
I think your missing it bud. The point to the engine is the brass shaft. Brass is heavier then the original aluminum ram. The weight is what allows the Bolt to move slower. The air travel a through the bolt face like normal.
True the shaft is heavier, but if they take metal away from the bolt head isn't the overall weight going to be close to the same? I'm still wondering how this is going to be better. I do understand paintball engines and why they work.
__________________
Insight NG and DP Threshy for sale
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4417953
rkenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump