PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-16-2014, 09:18 PM #1
XxDustyxxSnipesxX

XxDustyxxSnipesxX is playing at Living Legends VII
Question Beginner Woods Ball vest

I need a Beginner woods ball vest to hold 3 or 4 pods and possibly an extra HPA tank don't need it to protect me or any thing but need it to be camo so no speed ball stuff either. I am 14 years old and on the larger side. 50-100$? any recommendations or web sites that sell a decent one
XxDustyxxSnipesxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 PM #2
cz0013

cz0013 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
cz0013 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
With that budget get the dye tactical vest. You can either get the gtg one which has some attachments or you can attachments and the vest separately. Not really a beginner vest, but you wont have to upgrade the other one.
cz0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:16 PM #3
cz0013

cz0013 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
cz0013 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You can buy them on ans gear, or hustle paintball. There are probably other sites that sell them but those are the main two that you can buy them on.
cz0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:28 PM #4
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
martix_agent is playing at Living Legends VII
martix_agent is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
I'd like to pm you but you need to make a few more posts first
martix_agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:38 PM #5
OTTO13

OTTO13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I wouldn't give up on "speedball" packs/vests. I've used a black/grey NXe pack for woodsball for years and it's served me good. Not too flashy/noticable and serves me well.

Honestly, I've also found that camo is also slightly over rated. Now I wouldn't wear my bright blue/black college X-Ball jersey and I would shy away from brightly colored things (metalic and polished markers stick out) but camo doesn't seem to add anything other than "tacticool" factor. "Neutral" colors (beige, brown, green, grey, etc.) and black without a dediacated "camo" pattern I found to be just as effective as the patterned counterparts.

Also, I've seen more tactical vests fall apart after a summers use than a "speedball" pack bought at a similar price range.

Allegheny College Paintball - Founder and Alumni
ΔTΔ Fraternity Alumni - TCFP

Old Feedback/Old Account:Ottosmagic13: My Feedback
OTTO13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:13 AM #6
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO13 View Post
I wouldn't give up on "speedball" packs/vests. I've used a black/grey NXe pack for woodsball for years and it's served me good. Not too flashy/noticable and serves me well.

Honestly, I've also found that camo is also slightly over rated. Now I wouldn't wear my bright blue/black college X-Ball jersey and I would shy away from brightly colored things (metalic and polished markers stick out) but camo doesn't seem to add anything other than "tacticool" factor. "Neutral" colors (beige, brown, green, grey, etc.) and black without a dediacated "camo" pattern I found to be just as effective as the patterned counterparts.

Also, I've seen more tactical vests fall apart after a summers use than a "speedball" pack bought at a similar price range.
Same here.
While today they're associated with speedball, belt-type harness packs were the dominant way to carry paint in all types of paintball until the current MOLLE vest caught on with the milsim crowd.

I've tried a couple different paintball vests over the years but found all of them to be far more restrictive and far less comfortable than my old Diablo harness, and have sold them all.

Take a look at the Valken Sierra line of harnesses. For being under $40 they have a lot of features (elastic endpockets, a nice wide belt, big chunky pulls for the pocket straps), and are available in several different patterns. It comes in both 3+6 and 4+7 sizes.

You mentioned that you're a big dude, and I'm not sure what the fit is like on these Valken harnesses since everything is made to one size these days, but if you need it they sell an extender for the belt that sizes it up for larger people.

The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:05 PM #7
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Personally being a scenario player, a good vest is worth investing in. I have a Dye Tactical GTG vest and love it. It is comfortable, breathes nicely, and carries everything I need. I added a four mag pouch and a radio pouch to it on the front and a water bladder to put in the existing water bladder back pouch but it had everything else I needed.

Before that I wore a standard MOLLE vest that was plain and then added the items I needed. It wound up being more than the GTG vest, was heavier, and didn't breathe at all so using it in 114 degree summer weather here in SoCal sucked.

As Otto mentioned, camo makes very little difference but choosing the right colors for your surroundings can help. Personally, I like camo and, if you understand how people "see" things it can make a difference. I've had people almost step on me while laying in very light weeds. Had I been in one solid color other than maybe Coyote tan I would have been seen easily.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:16 PM #8
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Honestly, unless you're playing long games, a speedball harness will work best. Wearing anything hard on the front of your body increases your odds of being shot out. That's why all harnesses (until vests caught on) had the pods and pouches behind your body.

Now that being said, if you're playing long scenario games and such where you may have to carry paint, water, or even clips for clip fed guns you're going to want/need a good vest of some sort. Camo not so important but it never hurts as long as it matches your environment.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:41 PM #9
ionizedwarhead

I purchased a Valken Tango II vest and have been perfectly happy with it. It is a MOLLE vest so you can add what you see fit for your purposes.

From ansgear they run about 70 bucks so it is in your price range and they come in a few different styles to pick from camowise.
ionizedwarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:08 PM #10
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If you don't need the extra pockets then don't get the extra bulk and hassle of a vest. get a 4+1 pack. I had an NXE pack for years, loved it. The only reason I used a vest was for really long games where i carried my hydration bladder and a first aid kit.
Lover of All Things Paintball

Buy my airsoft gear
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:47 AM #11
p8ntballr68059
Post whore since 08

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
for a beginner the gxg ones are great you can also shop used in the bst. one of the best i have seen is the spec ops vests or the tippmann broadsword
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Insight,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:37 PM #12
prone2wander

Check out the BT Static Vest at ansgear.com. It's on clearance and dirt cheap. This is what I chose for OK D-Day because you need to carry hydration. Plus it is minimalist on the front so less restrictive and its mesh so not as hot. Plus I can change what I carry since there are no sewn on pod pouches. The Molle pouches for them are also on sale.
prone2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:24 PM #13
sobersteve323
Budget Baller

sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_crunch View Post
The only reason I used a vest was for really long games where i carried my hydration bladder and a first aid kit.
Same here and I went with a vest with a hydration pouch since it was cheaper than buying a small backpack style one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prone2wander View Post
Check out the BT Static Vest at ansgear.com. It's on clearance and dirt cheap. This is what I chose for OK D-Day because you need to carry hydration. Plus it is minimalist on the front so less restrictive and its mesh so not as hot. Plus I can change what I carry since there are no sewn on pod pouches. The Molle pouches for them are also on sale.
The clearance BT vests are a great buy. I bought my BT Merc last year and it still looks great. Can't beat the prices either for the molle attachments. Thinking about picking up the Static vest myself since I'd prefer just a pod pack but still like having the option of molle up my back.
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote