PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-13-2014, 02:37 PM #1
ruckus09

Looking for some PB advise.

Back Story:
Hey guys so I am new to PBN and I am looking for a bit of advise. SO ive been playing PB casually for about a couple years now and I am looking to buy a new marker. Ive bought a few ok ones from ebay and got an old one from my older brother. The one that I got from him is a smart parts Ion but is old as hell very used. I went playing with it and it was not accurate at all. I would shoot the same shot not moving at all and the shots would go all over the place. I have an alpha black but its heavy and I have a Spyder Sonic that is also old. I am really interested in scenario woodsball, but I like to play speedball from time to time.

Advise Part:
I am looking to buy a new marker. I saw a buddy of mine recently got an eclips etha. I fired it a few times and its a real good entry level marker BUT there are like no customizations for it. (scopes and the like.) So my question is what marker should I look at purchasing with all of that taken into consideration.

Also if I put this in the wrong section I apologies in advance if I posted this in the wrong section. thanks
ruckus09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2014, 03:30 PM #2
ttkvpr
Friendly Fire is ON

ttkvpr has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
It really depends on what type of playing you want to do. The ion and etha are geared more towards speedball as far as function and ergonomics. If this is what you play, Im a fan of bob long and empire. Check out the invert mini for a solid entry level gun. If you're looking for woodsball and scenario, tippmanns are great and I recommend an A5 if you have the money. It will take abuse and have a ton of upgrade options. One thing you definitely want to do is to get to a local field and test a bunch out. The bottom line is if it feels good to you and will shoot paint, it will do the job on any field. Just take care of it!
ttkvpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:44 PM #3
gamer565
Place ran by hypocrites

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
Accuracy is largely based on paint quality and ability to aim.

Scopes, red dots, and optic sight is nothing more then added weight and won't help when actually playing. Paintballs to are not like bullets with a predictable flight path.

gamer565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:42 PM #4
ruckus09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttkvpr View Post
It really depends on what type of playing you want to do. The ion and etha are geared more towards speedball as far as function and ergonomics. If this is what you play, Im a fan of bob long and empire. Check out the invert mini for a solid entry level gun. If you're looking for woodsball and scenario, tippmanns are great and I recommend an A5 if you have the money. It will take abuse and have a ton of upgrade options. One thing you definitely want to do is to get to a local field and test a bunch out. The bottom line is if it feels good to you and will shoot paint, it will do the job on any field. Just take care of it!
im really looking at SpeedBall. I have a tippy alpha black that I use for woods. bur i am looking fore somethin in the $500 range. Im just not a fan of the etha
Old 07-13-2014, 09:31 PM #5
ttkvpr
Friendly Fire is ON

ttkvpr has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus09 View Post
im really looking at SpeedBall. I have a tippy alpha black that I use for woods. bur i am looking fore somethin in the $500 range. Im just not a fan of the etha
You can get a lot for $500 if you're just buying the gun. Gamer565 definitely has it right in the accuracy department, so you might want to go with something a little cheaper (opt for an LED instead of OLED) and pick up a barrel kit if you already have a HPA tank and loader. If you don't, get those before your barrel. A used high end hopper can run around $80 if you're patient. I use a prophecy V2 that was $40 used. Find a good balance of function and cost for that works for you. Tanks are not really cheap, used or new, and I prefer to buy new just for the peace of mind. A decent one will run ~$120 new. That leaves about $300 for the gun. I'm sure you can find a pod pack that the velcro isn't worn out too bad for pretty cheap if you have the cash leftover. Don't worry about pants, cleats, jersey, etc... for a long time. Just focus on playing and having fun!

All of the guns do the same thing in different ways, so try some out from friends/ at a local shop. Also look for benefits for buying from local shops. Mine offers free lifetime maintenance on all guns they sell, so if something goes wrong with it I can take it in and only have to pay for parts (by my understanding, haven't had to use it yet). Definitely research, here's a few links to start that are stickies in this forum.

The Official Equipment Setup Review/IS THIS A GOOD DEAL Thread v2
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2679763

The "Which marker should I buy?" thread(The VS thread)
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3606494

Hierarchy Of Buying Paintball Stuff v2.0 (Looking to Get Into Paintball?) <--- Really good
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3655911

TL;DR

Research. Budget. Be patient. Go play.

Last edited by ttkvpr : 07-13-2014 at 09:36 PM.
ttkvpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:40 AM #6
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Scenario guns can be very cool but don't forget that when it comes to attachments and modifications, you're still firing an imperfect projectile with atrocious ballistic characteristics. Optics are good for figuring out if you're looking at a leg or a branch 100 feet away but they're only a distraction when you're actually shooting. Learn to aim down the side of the barrel and you will almost always hit your target faster than an opponent trying to use optics. Until you get more experience, what you should be doing is looking at tournament markers, as they're equally effective in the woods. You will be at a disadvantage using a woodsball gun on speedball fields due to their size and bulk. Spend as little money as possible on equipment and put everything else toward field time to build experience.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 AM #7
paintball_FST (Banned)
Poison

I haven't read any of the posts above but I would go with either a DAM or a Dfender. There is a big price difference and I'm pretty sure if your getting into high ends you won't want to go for a $1299 gun. So I would go with the defender which costs $9999 new. I almost never play rec ball unless I'm just going to mess around with friends so I don't know much about guns. Goodluck!
paintball_FST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 AM #8
BatmanLiera

You need to look at a used axe. Maybe 300. And you have 200 for a badass NEW mask and a USED tank. Don't get it mixed lol. New mask. And used tank and gun.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 AM #9
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Even tho that Etha shoots like crap, it can be upgraded to be a badass woodsball marker. There is an optional rail kit called the EMC kit which basically puts rails all over the place so you can mount "scopes" and such. If not buy a used Axe which can also be equipped with the EMC kit with a little modifications here and there. Good luck Bro

iPS
iPaintSlinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:08 AM #10
paintball_FST (Banned)
Poison

Oh yes!! I forgot about EMC kits. Ipaintslinger is right you should get an etha and buy an EMC kit. I actually have an etha for sale pm me for details.
paintball_FST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:14 AM #11
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

I would bet that with a clean barrel, a fresh Energizer, and some good paint, that Ion would be much more accurate.
In fact, there isn't any reason why it couldn't be as accurate as any other gun in the world.

Honestly, paintguns haven't gotten that much better since the Ion came out.
Some are easier to take apart and a little lighter, but overall paintgun technology plateaued quite a bit after 2005.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:06 PM #12
my1moose
VELOCIMOOSE

my1moose owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
check out the
  1. empire axe
  2. reflex rail
  3. etek 4
Black Spire 200/260
Ninja 77/4500 SL
my1moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:28 PM #13
ruckus09

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaintSlinger View Post
Even tho that Etha shoots like crap, it can be upgraded to be a badass woodsball marker. There is an optional rail kit called the EMC kit which basically puts rails all over the place so you can mount "scopes" and such. If not buy a used Axe which can also be equipped with the EMC kit with a little modifications here and there. Good luck Bro

iPS
I think I'm looking more for a dope budget speedball marker
Old 07-16-2014, 04:34 PM #14
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus09 View Post
I am looking to buy a new marker. I saw a buddy of mine recently got an eclips etha. I fired it a few times and its a real good entry level marker BUT there are like no customizations for it. (scopes and the like.) So my question is what marker should I look at purchasing with all of that taken into consideration.
You said that you would like to mount "scopes and the like" on your new marker. You also said that you want a budget speedball marker. You mentioned the Etha which just so happens to match your exact description. I then recommended it to you. If you do not want the EMC kit then do not buy it, but the Etha is definitely a budget speedball gun. Even if you decide that it's not one then I assure you that the Axe is in fact the best "dope budget speedball marker" on the market. Unless you don't find reliability, great stock parts and ease of use to be not dope then idk what to tell you except for good luck bro.

iPS
iPaintSlinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:29 PM #15
LunarEclipse02

Any speedball marker will do the exact same as any scenario marker will do, but a speedball marker will be faster and lighter. Sights, scopes and any tacticool will not aid you in anything in the paintball sport. Just get you a empire axe. You can find them used very cheap and that company has the best warranty and customer service around. They run amazing out of the box and needs no customization but there are tons for it for your liking. They shoot like a high end marker with a low end price, you cant ask for more.
LunarEclipse02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:25 PM #16
Milky19
Young Gun

Milky19 is playing at Living Legends VII
Milky19 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Milky19 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Milky19 supports Empire
Drop the tacticool if you want to play better, go with speedball gun, I'd say a mini GS, used Etek 4lt or a used Axe.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:58 PM #17
MaG Adrenal1ne
#PlayforPride

MaG Adrenal1ne is playing at Living Legends VI
MaG Adrenal1ne plays in the APPA D4 division
MaG Adrenal1ne supports DLX Technology
ETHA is a great option. It has the EMC kit so you can give your marker that tactile feel. I wouldnt recommend loading you gun up with BS options like scopes and the sorts, it will just weigh you down.
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
***ONE OF A KIND G6R***
MaG Adrenal1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:36 AM #18
ruckus09

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPaintSlinger View Post
You said that you would like to mount "scopes and the like" on your new marker. You also said that you want a budget speedball marker. You mentioned the Etha which just so happens to match your exact description. I then recommended it to you. If you do not want the EMC kit then do not buy it, but the Etha is definitely a budget speedball gun. Even if you decide that it's not one then I assure you that the Axe is in fact the best "dope budget speedball marker" on the market. Unless you don't find reliability, great stock parts and ease of use to be not dope then idk what to tell you except for good luck bro.

iPS
LOL yea the more that I look into it the more I realize that the ETHA would probably be the best but however I was also looking at the etek 4 which looks pretty good as well but a bit more expensive. Not by A LOT but enough to make me slow down and try and weigh my options