Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-12-2014, 02:01 PM #1
RunNgunRandy
Sarge kit Scout

RunNgunRandy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RunNgunRandy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RunNgunRandy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Post which barrel will work better for range and accuracy?

im running a tipx with a remote line and wondering which barrel will work better. Maybe some of you might own these barrels and could tell me.

option 1
http://www.rockstartactical.com/Mils...sig-ba-026.htm
rifled milsig marksman barrel .689 10"

option 2
http://www.lapcopaintball.com/store/...roducts_id=687
lapco 8" .684 non rifled

thanks for the help!!
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2014, 03:16 PM #2
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
These are a couple of threads I started but both talk about barrels and what they add to accuracy and precision.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4239865

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4207753

Some questions to help decide on a barrel.

Are you shooting First Strike Rounds (FSR)? If you are, and only shooting FSRs, the Lapco FSR .683 Rifled barrel is fantastic. If you want to shoot both FSR and regular paint, the Hammerhead rifled barrels with different sized fins is a better choice. If you're running just regular paint, the Dye Ultralite barrel is a great choice but any quality barrel will provide the same level of accuracy/precision regular paint. The rifled barrels mentioned will improve long range precision of the FSR rounds. Rifled barrels do NOTHING for regular paint accuracy.

A quality barrel from a reputable manufacturer (Dye, Lapco, Hammerhead, etc) will provide the same benefit to accuracy/precision one to another. So the real choice becomes which barrel do you like best? Do you like the looks of one over another? A threaded end to add whatever tip you want? Is weight an issue for you? Sound profile of the barrel? A one piece or two piece? A barrel where you can change it's bore size for different sized paint? These are the things that will help you choose one of these quality barrels over the other.

You'll note that I have not mentioned a thing about range. Your paint should be leaving the barrel at whatever your field velocity limit is. If the limit is 285, then the ball should be leaving your barrel at that velocity. Unless your barrel is putting a backspin on the ball like a Tippmann Flatline (which I don't think they make for the TipX) or an Apex equipped barrel (many options here) then the barrel will do nothing to change how far that ball leaving at 285 fps will travel. A FSR will fly further than a regular paintball because of the shape of the round, not the barrel it is fired from. Barrels have an affect on accuracy/precision but not on range except for the two mentioned above.

Last edited by Robotech : 07-12-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:20 PM #3
Kapyrna

There are a ton of great threads on this, Robotech's are some of the best-worded I've found online. Searching either here or even on Google will yield you an entire day's wroth of reading.

I ran the stock barrel from my A5 in my TiPX, I believe it was 8", smoothbore. Again, rifling does nothing to help you with standard rounds, only with First Strike. If you want quiet, look into carbon fiber like Deadlywinds. I'm not sure if inserts for sizing will cause issues with the bolt, I have heard of one guy who couldn't use smaller than .685 otherwise the bolt would jam. If you really want longer range, First Strikes are the way to go, so that you retain precision out to the edge of your longer range. Otherwise you're just throwing rounds to the winds.
Kapyrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:01 PM #4
RubinOnRye

RubinOnRye is playing at Living Legends VII
RubinOnRye has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RubinOnRye has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I just ordered myself another barrel, barrel whore here, and it's Deadlywind Carbon Fiber Barrel - Null. I will tell you how it goes later. I am putting it on my M17 CQC soon. Mine is a 10 inch but with my adapters it should measure out to be about 11.5 in the end roughly.
RubinOnRye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:31 PM #5
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapyrna View Post
rifling does nothing to help you with standard rounds
This cannot be repeated enough.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote