Community Focus

Old 07-10-2014, 11:11 AM #1
smalltownkaos
Azodin Fan

smalltownkaos has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
smalltownkaos has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
smalltownkaos has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I stole this

but I feel it fits pretty well with Azodin's focus of the stbb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Spyders/Tippmanns are horrible shooting guns

Really these markers get a bad rap. They are inexpensive and more expensive guns may shoot better, but that doesn’t mean these markers are horrible or cannot be made to shoot much better than how they come out of the box. Most however feel that even with a better barrel, HPA and good paint, these markers are still hopelessly bad shooters.

The biggest reason for this myth isn’t the design or quality necessarily of the guns themselves but rather their reputation for being markers requiring very little maintenance to operate. Most Spyders and Tippmanns that I’ve come across where the person is complaining about how poorly it is performing display a severe lack of proper maintenance. While Tippmanns are known for “taking a couple drops of oil in the ASA, pull the trigger a couple of times with no paint in the gun to get the air to blow the oil through it, then throw it in the closet” maintenance routines, the fact is that this is not properly maintaining even these nearly indestructible markers.

While sure, this is all that’s needed for the gun to always fire a paintball, more maintenance is needed to have the marker fire the paintball well. Dirt, grime and, most importantly, paint will get into the insides of a marker and cause it to shoot poorly. Leaving it in there over time will deteriorate o-rings causing them to harden, leak, tear and eventually fail. Dirt, oil and paint can get blown onto each ball causing them to travel erratically upon leaving the barrel. Dirt and debris can scratch the fine surface of the barrel and cause it to produce more friction against the ball as it travels down the barrel making the marker less efficient.

Also, many Spyders and Tippmanns fall into the hands of beginning players that don’t understand the value of purchasing quality paint. They buy inexpensive paint which isn’t consistently round, consistent in size or shape, and then blame their “cheap gun” for not shooting straight. Good paint shoots better than bad paint. Then they get a “better” gun and start shooting better paint and come to believe the other marker was their main problem.

A properly taken care of Spyder or Tippmann with a good, clean barrel and properly regulated can shoot just as well and as accurately, if not as quickly, as some of your higher end markers. I have seen a Spyder clone with cleaned and polished internals shoot good paint over a chrono at +/- 1 fps that could stack paint one on top of another at 90 feet…and that was on double regulated CO2.

Now, does that mean we should all be shooting inexpensive guns? No. Higher end guns tend to shoot smoother, weigh less, have devices to prevent ball breaks in the marker, have higher rates of fire, and generally come apart quickly and easily to make them simple to maintain. These are all features Spyders and Tippmanns usually do not have going for them. Also, when you get into the very expensive high end markers like your Dye DM line, they include all the bells and whistles that most players upgrade on lesser markers such as grips, barrels, bolts and the like straight from the factory.
Capt. American Blitz Evo
w/ matching zero
DP: Green G4...Green F8

LOOKING FOR A BLUE AZODIN ZENITH...PM ME
smalltownkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2014, 08:30 PM #2
dbroncosman42
They Call Me "Spyder"

dbroncosman42 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
This is a great explanation, i need this handy whenever someone has crap on this style of gun