Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-09-2014, 03:51 AM #1
XD8Xbox

Rotor vs spire

List witch one you personally like better and why.
Example: I personally like the rotor better because just how simple it is. You throw three double A's in it and when you click that button it's going to work. It doesn't feel weak and easy to break like the z2 and if u play pump it's going to feed when u stroke the pump, unlike the spire so when u pump u have to make a noise. Not to mention when you get a spire out of the box u have to fiddle with the setting and get it perfect to your gun. Sure the spire won't jam and the rotor will occasionally if u over pack it but I still like the rotor over the spire. So over all is just like the rotor more
What's your opinion?
XD8Xbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2014, 10:52 AM #2
floods
Ph 4:12

Annual Supporting Member
floods plays in the PSP
floods owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
floods plays in the APPA D4 division
I prefer the Spire due to it's capacity (260, play back), Crown SF, weight/size, and Virtues customer service, which has been stellar.

Rotors are fine, they're a trusty standard for many people and I don't have an issue with them, they're just becoming antiquated with the new hoppers that have hit the market.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:53 AM #3
XD8Xbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by floods View Post
I prefer the Spire due to it's capacity (260, play back), Crown SF, weight/size, and Virtues customer service, which has been stellar. Rotors are fine, they're a trusty standard for many people and I don't have an issue with them, they're just becoming antiquated with the new hoppers that have hit the market.
Good point but ya that why people basically use then because there trusty.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:13 AM #4
Mr. Stealthy

has been a member for 10 years
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by floods View Post
I prefer the Spire due to it's capacity (260, play back), Crown SF, weight/size, and Virtues customer service, which has been stellar.

Rotors are fine, they're a trusty standard for many people and I don't have an issue with them, they're just becoming antiquated with the new hoppers that have hit the market.
How are they antiquated? It uses one of (I would argue the most) consistent feeding drive mechanisms out there and has absolutely insane battery life. I do feel they are a bit on the heavy side and the more complicated drive system can be a little more jam prone than some of the more simple designs though.

The Spire is a great loader too don't get me wrong, but it isn't really any more advanced technologically than the rotor. It still gets just OK battery life, uses a very simple drive mechanism (which is a good thing from a reliability stand point, and uses an accelerometer that often runs the motor when it doesn't need to (probably my biggest qualm with the loader). I do like the huge capacity for the size though and until the fingers wear out, they are awesomely reliable.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:14 AM #5
BMJoker

has been a member for 10 years
BMJoker donated to help Peyton Trent
BMJoker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
BMJoker has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Really just preference. They both hold paintballs, and feed reliably for 12.5 BPS.
Neither is superior
Old 07-10-2014, 11:23 AM #6
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
dreadmuppet is BST Trusted
dreadmuppet owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Rotor. Simple on/off (no programming is a good thing!). Simple dis-assembly for cleaning. Batteries last a year. Rock solid. My oldest one I have had for three years, before me it had at least two other owners. It has only jammed once, and that paintball was so malformed it would not have rolled through a paper towel roll.

The only negative is the capacity, and hell, I could solve that if I was not too lazy and/or cheap to buy the high cap shell.
REC BALL AND SCENARIO TEAM
IF I DO NOT SHOOT YOU
MY TEAMMATE WILL
eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:02 PM #7
floods
Ph 4:12

Annual Supporting Member
floods plays in the PSP
floods owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
floods plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stealthy View Post
How are they antiquated? It uses one of (I would argue the most) consistent feeding drive mechanisms out there and has absolutely insane battery life. I do feel they are a bit on the heavy side and the more complicated drive system can be a little more jam prone than some of the more simple designs though.
Weight and size to capacity, and the ability that most board-based hoppers have to adjust settings if needed. Spire is really the only hopper that "changed the game" lately, but the Prophecy is probably the closest thing to a middle ground between a Rotor and a Spire, it's just more complicated than it needs to be. The RDR is... well, aside from heavy I don't know what it is because I haven't gotten mine yet...

I love my Spires though and can admit my bias.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:52 PM #8
XD8Xbox

Wow these are all goods points but with the rotor you don't need to change your settings, it's just on and off that's it.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:50 PM #9
tomc727
TommyC

Annual Supporting Member
tomc727 is BST Trusted
tomc727 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tomc727 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tomc727 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
tomc727 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I own both.

They both have pros and cons.

Rotor:

Pros - Very Simple. Simple to clean. Simple to use. On/Off and that's it. No other settings. Feeds like no other. Very consistent with feeding. Extremely durable. I think they are bulletproof. Very well built. Complete workhorse. Hold value quite nicely. Very easy to take apart to get the inner parts clean.

Cons - Heavier than most. Small mouth for reloading. Can jam easily (i've never had any issues but have seen other players have jamming issues). The high capacity shell has a higher profile than the Spire. Higher profile compared to Spire. Sometimes will not fit an entire pod using a speed feed.

Spire

Pros - Lowest profile of all the hoppers, including the 260. Lighter than Rotor. Wide mouth for easy reloading. Changing from rain lid to speed feed takes 10 seconds with no tools (unlike Rotor). Extremely rare to jam (I've used mine multiple cases without a single jam). Better looking (completely an opinion, some people say they are ugly). Easily fits an entire pod when using a speed feed (No leftover paintballs on top of speed feed).

Cons - Overly complicated with the sensitivity settings. If the settings are off, the hopper can popcorn paint and have an extremely annoying spinning feeder inside. Not as durable as a Rotor. The shell isn't nearly as solid as the Rotor. The inner workings are much more difficult to clean compared to the Rotor. Also, there are some durability issues with the fingers of the hopper breaking down.

Conclusion - It's really a personal opinion. I really love the look of the Spire and the low profile along with the wide feed mouth and quick change speed feed but I dislike the complicated g-force settings. I find the Rotor to be extremely simple to use but annoying sometimes when reloading using the speedfeed with leftover paintballs sitting on top.

I currently use my Spire 200 and Rotor for Speedball and my Spire 260 for Woodsball. I recently bought a Rotor and high capacity shell and see how it feels. If I don't mind the higher profile, I may sell my Spire.

I hope this helps.

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.

Planet Eclipse LV1
Planet Eclipse Geo 3.1

GEAR BAG SALE!!!!!

Last edited by tomc727 : 07-10-2014 at 04:52 PM.
tomc727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:41 PM #10
XD8Xbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc727 View Post
I own both. They both have pros and cons. Rotor: Pros - Very Simple. Simple to clean. Simple to use. On/Off and that's it. No other settings. Feeds like no other. Very consistent with feeding. Extremely durable. I think they are bulletproof. Very well built. Complete workhorse. Hold value quite nicely. Very easy to take apart to get the inner parts clean. Cons - Heavier than most. Small mouth for reloading. Can jam easily (i've never had any issues but have seen other players have jamming issues). The high capacity shell has a higher profile than the Spire. Higher profile compared to Spire. Sometimes will not fit an entire pod using a speed feed. Spire Pros - Lowest profile of all the hoppers, including the 260. Lighter than Rotor. Wide mouth for easy reloading. Changing from rain lid to speed feed takes 10 seconds with no tools (unlike Rotor). Extremely rare to jam (I've used mine multiple cases without a single jam). Better looking (completely an opinion, some people say they are ugly). Easily fits an entire pod when using a speed feed (No leftover paintballs on top of speed feed). Cons - Overly complicated with the sensitivity settings. If the settings are off, the hopper can popcorn paint and have an extremely annoying spinning feeder inside. Not as durable as a Rotor. The shell isn't nearly as solid as the Rotor. The inner workings are much more difficult to clean compared to the Rotor. Also, there are some durability issues with the fingers of the hopper breaking down. Conclusion - It's really a personal opinion. I really love the look of the Spire and the low profile along with the wide feed mouth and quick change speed feed but I dislike the complicated g-force settings. I find the Rotor to be extremely simple to use but annoying sometimes when reloading using the speedfeed with leftover paintballs sitting on top. I currently use my Spire 200 and Rotor for Speedball and my Spire 260 for Woodsball. I recently bought a Rotor and high capacity shell and see how it feels. If I don't mind the higher profile, I may sell my Spire. I hope this helps.
Wow. ya it did. You really take your time to write posts and be as helpful as possible thank u
Old 07-10-2014, 06:46 PM #11
tomc727
TommyC

Annual Supporting Member
tomc727 is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by XD8Xbox View Post
Wow. ya it did. You really take your time to write posts and be as helpful as possible thank u
Glad I can help.

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.

Planet Eclipse LV1
Planet Eclipse Geo 3.1

GEAR BAG SALE!!!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:35 PM #12
ironyusa
reappropriating resources

After jumping over to a spire from a rotor for no real reason other than I wanted to... I found the spire wasn't for me. With super smooth guns it seems like the sensitivity needed to be adjusted and when I did running and diving would make the sensor go berserk. I didn't have the pulsing issue and the spire was a perfectly competent and capable loader, but I went back with a rotor. If you take the time to set the tension correctly, then it's really not prone to jamming. All said, it really is preference and I like the rotor with a crown sf.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:39 PM #13
paintball_FST (Banned)

Spire 200 > rotor
Spire 260 < rotor
paintball_FST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:42 PM #14
tomc727
TommyC

Annual Supporting Member
tomc727 is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
After jumping over to a spire from a rotor for no real reason other than I wanted to... I found the spire wasn't for me. With super smooth guns it seems like the sensitivity needed to be adjusted and when I did running and diving would make the sensor go berserk. I didn't have the pulsing issue and the spire was a perfectly competent and capable loader, but I went back with a rotor. If you take the time to set the tension correctly, then it's really not prone to jamming. All said, it really is preference and I like the rotor with a crown sf.
I'm sort of in the same boat as you, except I haven't gotten to use my Spire 200 enough to really comment on if I like it more than my Rotor. Currently I really enjoy the simplicity of my Rotor above the g-force sensor crap of the Spire.

Planet Eclipse LV1
Planet Eclipse Geo 3.1

GEAR BAG SALE!!!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 10:39 PM #15
team_xile
Midwest Whiteout

team_xile plays in the PSP
team_xile plays in the APPA D4 division
team_xile is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
team_xile is Legendary
team_xile supports DLX Technology
I use my rotors over my spire unless it's raining. I use my spire because of the big mouth for filling, and because changing a speed feed out on a rotor is time consuming if you don't do it ahead of time. My spire is always in my gear bag just in case a rain shower rolls through, that's the only time it gets used though.

The battery life is better on the rotor, and it's much more consistent. I've been using rotors since day one and haven't really felt the need to make a permanent switch to anything else.
team_xile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:11 AM #16
XD8Xbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by team_xile View Post
I use my rotors over my spire unless it's raining. I use my spire because of the big mouth for filling, and because changing a speed feed out on a rotor is time consuming if you don't do it ahead of time. My spire is always in my gear bag just in case a rain shower rolls through, that's the only time it gets used though. The battery life is better on the rotor, and it's much more consistent. I've been using rotors since day one and haven't really felt the need to make a permanent switch to anything else.
Ya good point
Old 07-14-2014, 04:22 PM #17
jsgnado1996
jsg_nado

jsgnado1996 plays in the APPA D5 division
jsgnado1996 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I've used z-2's, prophecy v1/v2s, spire, vlocity, halos, and 3 different rotors. I always go back to the rotor because of how reliable it is and how fast it feeds. Yes, the capacity isn't the greatest when compared to a spire. If you play back all the time, get a spire 260. It's the right choice. For an all-around hopper, however, there hasn't ever been and probably never will be a competitor to the rotor. Rotor 100%. And despite what other companies say, I have never seen any other hopper let me shoot 30bps (the rotor did).

want to see a rotor feed 30bps? watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Ux..._NGLDsc5En1kYQ
Old 07-15-2014, 03:51 AM #18
XD8Xbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgnado1996 View Post
I've used z-2's, prophecy v1/v2s, spire, vlocity, halos, and 3 different rotors. I always go back to the rotor because of how reliable it is and how fast it feeds. Yes, the capacity isn't the greatest when compared to a spire. If you play back all the time, get a spire 260. It's the right choice. For an all-around hopper, however, there hasn't ever been and probably never will be a competitor to the rotor. Rotor 100%. And despite what other companies say, I have never seen any other hopper let me shoot 30bps (the rotor did). want to see a rotor feed 30bps? watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Ux..._NGLDsc5En1kYQ
Haha that's awesome and wow u have a lot of experience with loaders and thx
Old 07-19-2014, 08:32 AM #19
slowpoke94133

slowpoke94133 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
slowpoke94133 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
slowpoke94133 supports Empire
Played Camp Pendleton for a week. Everyone with Rotors were jamming all week. EVERYONE. The guys with Spires had no issues at all.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:54 AM #20
paintball_fanatic123

Honestly, both are great loaders, the spire just feeds more brittle paint and doesn't jam with bad paint. The rotor isn't finicky at all, so it's all about personal preference.

Marker Tune Ups Here!!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...497&highlight=

Deals on Dye Markers! Come Look!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...9#post85797489
paintball_fanatic123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:10 AM #21
CodSack03
Typical face mower

CodSack03 is playing at Living Legends VII
CodSack03 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
CodSack03 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CodSack03 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit