PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-08-2014, 06:14 PM #1
BoyBrizz
I one ball with my eNMEy

Spyder's Reputation

This thread goes out to all of the people hating on Spyder!

I know in the past Spyder hasn't had the best reputation. But recently, Kee Action Sports (Owner of Empire and JT), purchased Kingman (Creators of the Spyder line). But recently, Spyder has made great products like the MRX and Hammer 7!

So why is it that Spyder still gets all of our hate?

"Originally posted by conscript37 it is one thing to paint check me and another to rape my leg while fondling my groin to see if I've been hit."
BoyBrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2014, 07:40 PM #2
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Kingman's reputation mainly stems from being a manufacturer of very cheap, very common paintball guns. These types of markers tend to get sold in great numbers at big box stores and end up in the hands of players as often as not have no idea how to maintain them. By the time they figure out how to get a paintgun running they've often saved up enough money to buy something more expensive, and devote all their attention to the new gun. The end result is that they attribute to the Spyder their inexperience as a new player.

All that said, Spyders historically have been made less durable and less reliable than the other major family of common starter guns- Tippmanns. A Spyder will wear out its hammer O-ring several times over before the average Tippmann needs any parts.

Of course, noawadays Tippmann's reputation for reliability isn't exactly deserved. Just this past Saturday I ran into a player at the field who had a brand-new out of the package 98 Custom that was DOA. Fortunately, another player at the field had some spare Tippmann trigger guts and I was able to get the gun running.

I would point out that the new designs you mentioned aren't exactly the most encouraging signs of a quality tournaround for Kingman. All the players I've talked to who have used the MR series of guns report poor performance from the guns' magazines, especially with first strikes. The Hammer-7 especially has all sorts of weird fitment issues and design flaws, particularly around the grip frame.

As for the KEE acquisition, Kingman hasn't introduced any new products since that change, so who knows what effect that will have on their designs or quality control.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:41 PM #3
SearTripper
Digging on the Santose

I still have the first Spyder I ever bought, and that was 20 years ago. The thing is a tank. All metal construction, even the trigger is metal. It is a decent piece of machining. My son is looking at a starter marker, and I won't buy him the Spyders I see for sale now. they look plastic and flimsy. I may be wrong, though. Hope to see others' opinions in this thread.
SearTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:56 PM #4
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearTripper View Post
I still have the first Spyder I ever bought, and that was 20 years ago. The thing is a tank. All metal construction, even the trigger is metal. It is a decent piece of machining. My son is looking at a starter marker, and I won't buy him the Spyders I see for sale now. they look plastic and flimsy. I may be wrong, though. Hope to see others' opinions in this thread.
I've got an original Spyder here from 1995 and overall, the new ones are actually much, much better. Disassembly for cleaning is far easier and they now come with a really clever high-efficiency valve.
I know that the Xtra, which is still under $100 (The original Spyder was a $200 gun when released) has an aluminum body, frame, and feedneck. Some of the others, including the MR-100 use a bit more plastic.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:26 AM #5
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
My second marker was a Spyder. It was the Electra DX

When I bought it I honestly could not have been happier......until I used it. Worked as it should at the beginning of the day. But not even half way though I noticed it would double or triple fire almost uncontrollably. Wasn't till later that I noticed that the vibration from the marker was literally shaking my grip frame loose. At first it was relatively unnoticeable. However it was enough to prevent the sear from engaging the hammer. By the end of the day it was very visibly loose. I could actually shake it.

So while a nice low end marker for beginners, there is no denying that they do make some poor out together markers. Perhaps that's changed. I don't know. But that's how it was. My very first time using a brand new marker....that should not have been my experience. Me isn't even keep it long enough to get to the potential issue of a chipped sear tip. I sold it and bought an A-5

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:42 AM #6
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

That's probably nothing that couldn't have been fixed by adding a dab of loctite to the grip frame screws and re-tightening them.
Not a big deal at all for an experienced player, but something the Electra's usual user, a newer player, wouldn't have any idea to do.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:07 AM #7
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
That's probably nothing that couldn't have been fixed by adding a dab of loctite to the grip frame screws and re-tightening them. Not a big deal at all for an experienced player, but something the Electra's usual user, a newer player, wouldn't have any idea to do.
Oh I'm well aware. However it turned me off to the marker immediately. As I saw it a brand new marker should not have been falling apart like that after only half a days use. Thought, "if this is happening after just 4 rec games of light usage imagine what may happen down the road. Nope.......sell. Buy something new"

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:30 AM #8
DRAXX
www.muddhillspaintball.tk

My spyder pilot owned! Sure it was a battery hog, and air hog, and had really bad consistency issues,

BUT! It was fun ;D
Old 07-09-2014, 04:55 PM #9
BoyBrizz
I one ball with my eNMEy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAXX View Post
My spyder pilot owned! Sure it was a battery hog, and air hog, and had really bad consistency issues,

BUT! It was fun ;D
Hah! Yeah, the new "classic" line of Spyders (Opus, Fenix, Pilot, Victor) aren't the greatest, but I definitely am having a lot of fun with my Hammer 7. I think they're really stepping up their game, because the whole new mag-fed/milsim line is blowing my mind.

"Originally posted by conscript37 it is one thing to paint check me and another to rape my leg while fondling my groin to see if I've been hit."
BoyBrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:21 PM #10
HillbillyG5

I use a mr100 as a woodsball marker. Its not the best but it can lay down a steady stream off paint and the eko valve is amazing. I can use a 48/3000 steelie the whole day and not worry about refills. I still have several older spyders including my acs.
HillbillyG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:16 PM #11
Pyrate Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyBrizz View Post
This thread goes out to all of the people hating on Spyder!

I know in the past Spyder hasn't had the best reputation. But recently, Kee Action Sports (Owner of Empire and JT), purchased Kingman (Creators of the Spyder line). But recently, Spyder has made great products like the MRX and Hammer 7!

So why is it that Spyder still gets all of our hate?
Actually, when Kingman first introduced the Spyder it was considered just below the "high end" markers like 'Mags & 'Cockers dominating the tourney scene before electronics were incorporated.
Here's a little bit of History that few remember:
When Kingman first made the Spyder, they were only producing about 2,000 a year, and the trigger/sear combination were machined steel.
Then around '96 they started getting popular and they had to increase production tenfold to meet demand. In order to speed things up they went to stamped-out triggers & sears which continued through all the later series.

It was this change from a machined part with a very snappy trigger to a sloppy stamped out piece that began all the hate some 15 years ago, and with all the different versions of the Spyder that Kingman has put out there, none compare to the original that earned them a reputation.
So we hate on Spyders because they no longer live up to I should delete this
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
http://www.paintball-pti.com/
Pyrate Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:52 PM #12
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Doesn't mater what gun it is, often the problem is that the gun committed the unforgivable sin...

...it cost less.

Really. I've seen two nearly identical reviews that claimed a new gun had an issue out of the box, was sent back to the manufacturer for service free of charge, and came back working fine. On the $1000+ gun it was praised for the impeccable customer service and support, on the below $150 gun it was a piece of crap that broke right away.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:56 PM #13
nerve2030

I still have a couple old school spyders. Most fond recent memory of them was laneing my buddy with a geo2 off the break. Because moments before he was ragging on me for bringing this on the speed ball field.

but first a big sale
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...3#post85159673
nerve2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:00 PM #14
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Really it's a bit of all this...thrown in that I'm sure people who are buying a cheap gun aren't buying the best paint either. Cheap gun + little maintenance + cheap paint = a really bad experiance.

The reason so many people hate on them though, I feel, is tradition. Some folks have a right to gripe. Soul's experiance is a prime example. Now I had the same thing happen to me with my Warsensor but for me, I understand a gun that vibrates when fired like these do will cause screws to loosen and while you would expect the manufacturer to know this too and locktite them from the factory, you may have to do it yourself. However, you have enough experiances like that and those people start to tell others, pretty soon you have this reputation for being a crap product.

Get a reputation like that and pretty soon it perpetuates itself. RAP4 is another company that has a real bad rap. Even worse than Spyder.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 PM #15
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
RAP4 is another company that has a real bad rap. Even worse than Spyder.
For good reason, too.
Every product of theirs I've owned or worked on has suffered from serious design or manufacturing flaws.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:08 PM #16
lew
Timebomb Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearTripper View Post
After an eight year intermission, I aired up my '97 Spyder and kicked some *** on the field. I would have used my Autococker, but the HPA tank needs to be tested. The Spyder was smooth and accurate (for unregulated CO2, of course). It's built like a tank and maintenance is a breeze. A light polish on the bolt, adding a volumizer, Smart Parts barrel, and removing the venturi are all that's been done. The later models got way too cheap for my taste, though.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:36 PM #17
BuiltforBoost

Annual Supporting Member
BuiltforBoost owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BuiltforBoost owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
BuiltforBoost plays in the APPA D4 division
I still have my original Spyder TL. Bought it new(1998 maybe?) still shoots great. I have one of the original run CP barrels for it too. I remember seeing it and the store owner telling me its a "new company trying to make a name for itself". I've had great luck with my spyder, maybe I'm one of the lucky few though.
BuiltforBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:07 PM #18
happykillmore19
Travelin Man

happykillmore19 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
happykillmore19 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
happykillmore19 supports Empire
i still have my xtra from when i was a teenager and every time i air it up whether its months of years, it for some reason keeps working lol

i've seen some of the newer models and they "appear" to have more plastic on them which isn't for me but i haven't seen any real problems on the field and the people who play with them seem to enjoy em
happykillmore19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:10 PM #19
sobersteve323
Budget Baller

sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
The first marker I owned was a brand new Compact 2000. My only regret was selling that thing as it never gave me any problems, it just worked! I picked up an Electra DX back in 2003(?) when it first came out and I still own it. It sat for 8 years while I was on a break from playing and just recently aired it up and still works fine after replacing a few orings.

When my wife got into paintball last year I picked up a Fenix for her. I was actually really impressed with what you got for an entry level marker... granted my familiarity with new tech at the time was 8 years behind. The reg did leak out of the box but it was nothing some lube and 10 minutes of my time fixed.

Because of issues like the Fenix leaking out of the box I can totally understand why some people would be turned off to the brand. Like others have posted it leaves a bad taste in your mouth especially if you're newer and not as comfortable performing maintenance on your equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
I've seen two nearly identical reviews that claimed a new gun had an issue out of the box, was sent back to the manufacturer for service free of charge, and came back working fine. On the $1000+ gun it was praised for the impeccable customer service and support, on the below $150 gun it was a piece of crap that broke right away.
Haha I've noticed reviews like that too. Glad you pointed it out.
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:29 AM #20
Jwink18

spyder sucks
Jwink18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:01 PM #21
PBBlastah

Annual Supporting Member
The biggest beef I have with Spyder isn't their construction, its their use of proprietary EVERYTHING.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4521561

"being broke isnt fun
but being broke because of paintball is"
PBBlastah is offline   Reply With Quote