PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-16-2001, 11:07 PM #1
xvmdgvx

has been a member for 10 years
epic....good or bad? help

ok, i just was wondering is anyone here has actually shot an epic or has seen one in action. to me, it seems like a cool gun, but i have never shot one or seen one. what are the good sides or this marker, and what are the bad sides about having this marker? also where can you buy one? i havent seen then anywhere for sale. thanks
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2002, 11:13 AM #2
Spartan X
Unbanned

Spartan X is a Supporting Member
Go to www.icepaintball.com for just about all the info you can find on the internet. I have had the chance to talk to Jim (creator) and he is a cool guy. I am at the moment waiting for the electro version of the epic to come out this spring, but if you do not like electro's I found the best price on the internet for the gun here:http://www.generaljoes.com/Search/sh...3?idnumber=361

At $599.95 that is $150.05 less then the MSRP.($750)
Old 12-07-2002, 11:33 AM #3
Meph

Meph is a Supporting Member
Good...
- Light weight
- Compact
- No upgrades necessary, stock fine
- No bolt, chops eliminated
- Unique design (outside the box thinking)
- Electronic version coming in near future

Bad
- Pricey
- No upgrades at all!
- Balance is poor. You put a tank on the end, and it's very odd
- Very few places to get them, and even fewer places to get replacement parts.
- Decent, but still slow ROF

Indifferent
- Has quite a kick to it. There's no bolt or hammer or none of that, I don't know where the kick comes from.
- The looks, it's like basically one long tube on a grip frame. Not my style.

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
And my newest Sponsor.... Charmin!
Old 12-07-2002, 06:02 PM #4
Spartan X
Unbanned

Pricey? It's about the same as a dark-cocker.

No upgrades? No upgrades needed, but if there is somthing new on the newer models, you will get it upgraded for free.

Balance is poor? How can this be when it is so light and there is basicly no wieght at all.(2.3 lb.s)

True, hard to find, will have to get off the internet if you do not live in south california. Not hard to find on the internet, even PB gear.com has them. You can get full parts kit from ICE's website.

ROF is the same as a autococker (9 bps), they are shooting for the Electro to do 16 bps.

Personaly I did the look, but that just me. Very low profile, smaller then a automag.

(Random thoughts)
Beeing so small this gun would be cool with a 6 in. barrel, 50rd hopper, and a 1.5 oz co2 tank(or a 12gram). Subdefided, just a thought.
Also with only air comming out, with a silencer I bet it would be very quiet.
Old 12-07-2002, 07:47 PM #5
Meph

Pricey? It's about the same as a dark-cocker.
Yeah, and I'm not buying that, either!

No upgrades? No upgrades needed,
You don't understand, having something unique and customizing it yourself is a big selling point for me and thousands of others. I don't like things that I can't tinker with!

Balance is poor? How can this be when it is so light and there is basicly no wieght at all.(2.3 lb.s)
You don't know what balance is then, do you? Ever have a full hopper plus an 88ci tank on it? You give it a try and tell me it's not got a bad balance. Not to mention that the tank will get in your way since you can't get a DF on it. Very bad for tight situations.

ROF is the same as a autococker
Okay, so what. That's autococker. For 150 bucks I can get a 98Custom and double trigger and outshoot both. Or spend another 100 (250) with the RT and shoot 15! So yes, the mechanical Epic has a slow ROF.

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
Old 12-07-2002, 08:07 PM #6
Spartan X
Unbanned

Meph please do not turn this into a debate just like it was at pbreview (although you did not seem to care about making a point there).

You pay for what you get.

The Epic will work with most drop forwards, right from the mouth of the creator!

Seeing how many people like cockers I would say 9 bps is enof. besides, you can not chop balls, you will just fire a blank if you go to fast on the trigger.

The ballence on the gun is not poor, adding all that other stuff to it makes it poor. I guess a heavy gun has a advantage here.

Ok the Epic is not for Tinkers, just for people that like the gun how it is stock. (The epic is unique in its own self)

If I had my own choice on how to mill a cocker, I would have the thing milled to that max, down to the bare bone to what could safly be taken off without it compromising performance. The epic is like this, there is no waisted space, even the grip is used as the regulator.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:45 PM #7
Ov3rmind
Banned

Quote:
Seeing how many people like cockers I would say 9 bps is enof. besides, you can not chop balls, you will just fire a blank if you go to fast on the trigger.
An AutoCocker is capable of doing well over 15 bps, 9 is no way in Hell it's limit. If you have atleast a half decent hinge frame, an electro conversion, or can shoot a well setup slider with skill, you will reach and even surpass 9 bps on a Cocker.
Quote:
The ballence on the gun is not poor, adding all that other stuff to it makes it poor.
Are you saying you intend to play without a tank or hopper?
Old 12-07-2002, 10:39 PM #8
Spartan X
Unbanned

No I do not intend on playing with out a hopper and tank. But I will be getting the vertical feed version of the gun, so that takes care of the hopper being balenced, as for the tank, I am a rec-player at the moment, and I use a remote, so the unbalenced tank does not concern me. But this summer me and some friends are starting up a novice 5-man team, so I will just get a drop forward to combat the tank problem.
True on the autococker. But again alot of people play with stock autocockers and I have not heard any bad feedback on the bps ratio. My old cocker had a new shocktech trigger on it, and I could rip, but my gun had lightend upgrades so it was able to do 11-13 with out chopping. They SAY cockers can only do 9 bps, they also SAY the Epic can only do 9 bps, so maybe the epic can be faster then this.
Remember the electro will do 16 pbs, requirering you to use a halo or evo 2 loader. Fast enough?
Old 12-07-2002, 10:48 PM #9
SquiDDy
1337status

dont buy that gun,

i would explain but it would take waaaayyyy to long

.+Artwork.Photography.+

I Kill Threads

I Cant Spell
Old 12-07-2002, 10:48 PM #10
Meph

Quote:
Originally posted by Spartan X
Meph please do not turn this into a debate just like it was at pbreview (although you did not seem to care about making a point there).
Hey, blame yourself for picking apart my post.

You point the finger, you have 3 others pointing back!

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
Old 12-07-2002, 11:37 PM #11
Spartan X
Unbanned

ok, ok meph sorry for that.
SquiDDy: Why not buy that gun? Is it because you think imps rules the world and that no one should have a gun that is Dare I say BETTER then yours?
It may be long, but you have to list it because I will not take your word for it.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:29 AM #12
Timmay

i wouldn't get one they'll be out of business in a year or 2
Old 12-15-2002, 11:23 PM #13
Spartan X
Unbanned

And who are you to say they will go out of biss...?
Old 12-16-2002, 05:12 PM #14
Timmay

i can say for sure but it is common sense....

u got a 400-500 piece of crap that can't preform with other guns in it's price range imo. I don't think i ever seen any epics at any fields ever. Look at a gun like a nova it was a nice gun not the most popular but i still saw alot more of them then epics but b/c it wasn't popular/no one knew about them/no upgrades . The epic is the same way
Old 12-20-2002, 08:31 PM #15
Spartan X
Unbanned

You are baseing the your statement on the fact that YOU do not like it. It is not $400-$500, it's $600-$750 range. You have seen more novas because they have been out for a while, plus you live on the eastern sea board, you would not see many epics because they are a southern californian company. The only real way to find out about them is if you sall it in a magazine, or on the internet. Just because the company is small does not mean they are going under. Small can be good in many ways, better customer servise in some cases, Jim (creator) answers the phone most the time, and is far more experianced them most paintballers.OK more then most. He has been playing paintball since stock class was all there was. He knows is guns, and is always improving the epic day by day. He comes up with a upgrade, you get it for free.
Your gun may be best for you, angel, cocker, imp, dragon......They are all good, but some people preffer one to another, and the other to the other.
My first gun was a '97 cocker rebuilt. It was a great gun, mint condition. The guys are the shop loved it, but some how I did not like it as much. every one around me was telling me COCKER COCKER COCKER! so I got one..oopps not for me. was always calling up the shop and asking the questions about it, and it had timing issues. So I sold it for what I paid and ended up with a rainmaker witch I LOVE. In in my opinion is better then a cocker, in lots of ways...or it just suits me better. This gun will be a good educational gun to help me learn the works of a PB gun. You can do so many homemade and promade jobs to this gun! Sweet!
Got it for $99.

Hightlight Reasons why it fit me:
Low price, leaves me with money to save for the Epic.

Great performance, rainmakers come with the same barrel as pre-'99 Angel because WDP owed brass eagle lots of money and threw in the patent for the jakol barrel with it. true electro pnumatic gun open bolt. (so is the angel)

You can totaly remake the gun into a peice of art, just as the cocker you can basicly buy every part of this gun sepretly upgraded. Good project gun.

It can take a beating, once you get a front block upgrade(which I am) and place the battery in the frame of the gun it's like rock(feals like it too).

Looks like a cocker, kind of.

Takes cocker barrels, great so does the epic! now I can swipe barrels!

............................more but these are the highlights.

Now the e-epic, for me.

No matenence, Well they say to lube the trap door and add some drops in the air source, every so many game days.

No chopped balls, No more autochopper! brrel break are very few and quicker to clean then chopped balls.

Light(2.3lb.s)! I use a remote with a t-stock so the wieght should stay light. I have a dream with this thing with a 4oz co2, 6" sub-barrel, 50 round hopper, and no fore gip. Small huh!

Cocker barrels, Barrel swopping with my rainmaker!

Can take a beating, the trigger is the only external moving part, and it is unlikely you will break that.

Virtical feed, no elbos!

16bps rate of fire, well may not turn it up this fast but it is nice to no it will keep up with any one.

........................Oh price is good for what you get..............................there is more these are just the highlights.

Sorry for the spelling, it's to long to read back over, but you get what I am saying right?
Old 12-20-2002, 10:19 PM #16
CaptCocker
Your mom loves me!

CaptCocker is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Spartan X
So I sold it for what I paid and ended up with a rainmaker witch I LOVE. In in my opinion is better then a cocker, in lots of ways

theres reason enough not to listen to this guy
Old 12-20-2002, 11:06 PM #17
Spartan X
Unbanned

read the rest idiot.

...or it just suits me better.

I am not saying it is better then a cocker I am saying it fits me better then the cocker I had. Every one has a gun that fits them better then another gun.
For me I like the rainmaker over the cocker I had.
And also like the e-epic though I will not know till I get it.

Altghough there are many cockers out there I would take some of those custom cockers over a rainmaker anyday (like a e-blade or dye, kapp...), but they do not cost $99 do they........................

Last edited by Spartan X : 12-20-2002 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:56 PM #18
Timmay

u wrote a 6 paragraph response to my 2 sentence remark...wow

anywho my guess is they will go under, yeah personal prefence is important but as a company u have to make it the prefence of alot of people. Epics are WAY over priced though and that is the main reason why i think they will go under
Old 12-21-2002, 09:57 AM #19
Spartan X
Unbanned

Do you think angels and excaliburs are over priced? No you get what you pay for. Research the epic online, call them ask questions about what is in the gun. with every thing you get it is well worth $600-$750 to me.
BTW what kind of gun do you have?
Old 12-21-2002, 10:11 AM #20
AutocockerGuy
Damn Im good

AutocockerGuy is a founding member
Angels and Excals are over priced, why you ask? BECAUSE WDP AND AKA CAN SELL THEM FOR THAT MUCH! They know people believe in there product and will dish out the money for them, angels are performers (even though I hate them) but many tourney players live by them. WDP could charge what ever they wanted for an angel, and people would still buy them.

The Epic looks like the biggest pos i've ever seen, I've never shot one so It could be a somewhat ok marker, anyway now days alot of people go for looks than performance.

600-700 for a gun no one has ever heard of, no pro team or AM team uses them, I've never seen a review for them.... Not much out there about them, and they are so pricey.

Also, only 9bps that will not cut it, you couldnt sweet spot for ****. MAYBE if they had a higher bps they would be a nice tourney marker. Who knows, I hope the Epic will be at MGO I want to fire one of these now :-D

Last edited by AutocockerGuy : 12-21-2002 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:31 AM #21
Spartan X
Unbanned

Thank you for YOUR OPINION, it has been noted, filed and shreaded. But unless you have fired one shut up.
I will not say any thing more on the Epic till I get my Electro Epic this spring.
Looks over performence...what is this guy smoking.
Good-day mates.........

Last edited by Spartan X : 12-10-2004 at 04:35 PM.