Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-02-2014, 09:17 PM #1
PBGriff

Spyder Fenix vs ?? Help

I'm turning 30 in August. I played paintball a ton from 16-19 and havent set foot on a field since.

Budget $250.
Need: Gun/Mask/Pods/Belt/Oil etc.
Preference: Woodsball/Scenario

I was set on getting a new Spyder Fenix... until I read about it on the forums here and they got lit up.

I'm going to my local paintball store tomorrow... Both which are 45 minutes away. I'm in Libertyville, North of Chicago.

DiscountPaintball or PBexplosion is where I'm heading. I havent decided.

Should I wait for a used Proto to pop up? Used Ion? I'd really like a gun that I can slowly mod over time.

I really didn't want a gravity fed gun. US Army?

I've done some searching here, but I really need a direct answer. Thank you!

Please don't reply "Spyder sucks" or "Get Empire"... a small explanation will help out a resurrecting noob that can't wait to get back into this.
PBGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2014, 09:31 PM #2
PBGriff

Ok I just found a thread that helps me out.

Used seems to be the way to go,

Mini or Empire? Over Fenix?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:33 PM #3
Grapher400
No flex zone!

get the mini of anything, but you need bhp a with that if not it'll break, and a motorized hopper with that
Grapher400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:42 PM #4
PBGriff

I'm having trouble finding used minis in my price range. Ebay sucks to sort through and I don't trust it too much for a mark.

Hopefully one of the stores will have a decent selection!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:58 PM #5
PBGriff

The Azodin looks like a decent gun new around $170.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:36 PM #6
inferno2inferno

From a long series of bad experiences, stay away from spider or azodin. If you are willing to settle, I hear the tippmann chronus is pretty solid and can get after market mods to make it look beast.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 PM #7
tyronejk
titular

tyronejk is an NCPA player
tyronejk plays in the APPA beginner division
Ions are fun guns to mod and can be found for super cheap

Theoretical max efficiency of a marker
Automated paintball turret
tyronejk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:08 AM #8
PBGriff

Thanks for the tips! I'm definitely staying away from Spyder. I think I'm going to give Azodin a shot.

Turns out I have 0 paintball stores near me. Closest one GPS says 55 minutes... I do have 2-3 fields within 20 minutes, but they only sell paint.

A little frustrating. I'll be purchasing my gun online, but I will have to make time to go buy a mask and extra gear etc.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:33 AM #9
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Do NOT cheap out on your mask whatever you do. It is your most important piece of gear, so try all the high end ones on and pick the one you like best regardless of price
Old 07-03-2014, 02:02 PM #10
PBGriff

Thanks Burning Playdoh. I didn't go all out on a $90 mask, but I did get a $55 JT mask that will work for now. So amazing the differences in all the masks...

needless to say.. I'M ADDICTED.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:10 PM #11
BigGordo
BigBallz

I've played with spyders since the late 90's. I my self just got back into the game last year after being out for about 10yrs. The first thing I looked for was a spyder. I bought a used fenix and upgraded everything I could. Also did the same with a Azodin Blitz. They both work great. No complaints.
BigGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:44 AM #12
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGordo View Post
I've played with spyders since the late 90's. I my self just got back into the game last year after being out for about 10yrs. The first thing I looked for was a spyder. I bought a used fenix and upgraded everything I could. Also did the same with a Azodin Blitz. They both work great. No complaints.
Agree
Bro you have to learn how to separate the fan boys and the (PROs) on this forum site. There are people that are here to spread knowledge of their own experiences. Then you have the rest of PBN, those who just repeat what they have heard or viewed on youtube but never actually shot/held/maintenanced any of the markers that they are so quick to bash.

Any marker that you buy should work with proper care. Some companies have poor quality control and ship out lemons that need some servicing to get them up and running. Not saying that you should have to do that at all, when you buy a marker it should just work. This is the main reason you have people hating some of these companies. It's just that they hate them forever from one bad experience. I have had issues with every marker I own from leaks out the box to boards failing. I own Empire, Tippmann, Azodin and Dangerous Power and they have all had issues.

When someone tells you to stay away from this brand and go for this brand it's mainly because they have biased opinions. Spyders when shot have kick like Tippmanns. Azodin markers do not have this shot feel especially when they have the Zero-D system. Empire makes great markers (little overpriced) but great markers and they are much smoother than the STBB platform. You just have to remember that we all don't like the same thing when we are buying our markers.

Tactical, Speedball, Poppet, Spool, STBB you have to pick what you like and research it. If you are a person that enjoys feeling kick and vibrations while shooting then grab a Tippy or Spyder. If it's a smoother shot your after then trust me Azodin is a very nice place to look. If you need smoother than that then I would recommend trying a used Empire axe/mini. Also use this site to your advantage, search the Manufacturers threads and read up on what people have to say about the markers you are looking at. Just be sure to know a fan boy from a PRO.

This is all my own opinion and also my honest thoughts on what people have told you so far. I am also trying to keep your budget in mind. The last thing I want is for you to buy something that I recommend and then you buy it and hate it.

Good luck to you bro, iPS
iPaintSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:45 AM #13
p8ntballr68059
Post whore since 08

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
people steering you away from spyder probably never owned one. they are a solid marker and do the same thing all others do. fire a paintball at 300 fps. the Fenix is a great marker to start with. i would suggest the electra for a little better board and weight reduction. just keep it oiled and a battery in her and she will shoot for you. plus if you have any problems they are usually an easy fix. the kingman/spyder section on here will be more than happy to help you with any issues that pop up. the guys that lurk in there know their stuff as well.
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Insight,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:03 AM #14
GetGogd
Wish I could play more

GetGogd is playing at Living Legends VII
GetGogd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Based off of my personal expierence I would stay away from the Fenix. It was the first gun I had, and the first time I took it to the field it leaked, and a beginner me had no clue how to fix it. I'm sure that not all Spyders have issues, but mine did, and that's why I'd rather go with an Azodin or a used Mini.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:46 AM #15
p8ntballr68059
Post whore since 08

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
if i were to suggest a marker for a new person to learn on and have a good experience with.. Gog eNMey. it is a mech but shoot very good and surprisingly fast for a mech gun. if you can spend the extra the tippmann crossover is a great choice gives you electro when you need speed and mech when you want to save paint. i will be picking up one of each soon
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Insight,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:04 AM #16
MangoPhett

I too would rather go with the eNMEy or an eXTCy over the fenix or Azodin line of markers. They are much smoother and faster(in terms their mechanical markers) than the STBB style markers that the Fenix and Azodin is. Plus, they operate at a lower operating pressure, making softer with paint. I've shot evil through my eNMEy on multiple occasions with zero problems. Also, every single one of the GoG line of markers come with a regulator, which is huge.
#2sexeh4u
MangoPhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:46 PM #17
seedubs1

Get something from smart parts/gog. Find an old upped ion if you can. They're probably going to be your best bet in your price range.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:25 PM #18
Collin71

The azodin blitz is a great gun for the money and I highly recommend it.
Collin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:30 PM #19
DRAXX
www.muddhillspaintball.tk

^ This
Old 07-14-2014, 04:26 PM #20
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Considering your stated budget it might be best to forgo anything more expensive than the eNMEy for now.
Pick up one of those and don't skimp on your mask or tank and you'll be all set when you have enough money/interest to buy a very fast gun... assuming you'll want to.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:41 PM #21
liverlip

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I would go with the eNMEy too. So much fun to shoot.

][nvert User IS A THIEF
liverlip is offline   Reply With Quote