Annual Supporting Member
ScottQ is a Moderator
ScottQ is a Supporting Member
ScottQ is a founding member
ScottQ works for a Paintball manufacturer
ScottQ plays in the PSP
ScottQ supports Team VICIOUS
Nice! Where did you play in NC?

I first started playing at Heart of Darkness and Bunkers Paintball in Durham. Eventually started playing at OCP (Orange County Paintball) for a while when the Coastal Breakers had a central NC team. After I moved away we still traveled to play in the CFOA with Cross-Eyed Paintball.

If you get confused just listen to the music play.
ScottQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2014, 03:33 PM #44
Twaltz628
newb for 8 yrs & counting

Annual Supporting Member
Twaltz628 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Twaltz628 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Twaltz628 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottQ View Post
Nice! Where did you play in NC?

I first started playing at Heart of Darkness and Bunkers Paintball in Durham. Eventually started playing at OCP (Orange County Paintball) for a while when the Coastal Breakers had a central NC team. After I moved away we still traveled to play in the CFOA with Cross-Eyed Paintball.
All over NC really. When I'm at school I play at LOF in Asheville. However, I usually play at Black River in Angier but have played XK in durham, Predator, PBC-Greensboro, BR in Fayetteville, Command Decisions and a few others that I can't remember the names of. Basically, most of the fields along I-40 from mountains to coast
Old 07-14-2014, 07:14 AM #45
imped4now
BTFU

has been a member for 10 years
The Impulse came alive this weekend.....it was shooting +/- 2-3 over the chrono, was a piece of cake to tune and just shot incredibly all weekend throughout the scenario game. Using the Spire and Boss bolt/pin, I had no issues whatsoever. After switching between it and the Insight (was also excellent) a couple times, I prefer the Impulse's slightly lighter weight and more favorable balance point. And call me crazy but I swear the Impulse is smoother.

Also, I messed with the settings a little bit and had it shooting very nicely @ ~220 psi HPR, 10ms dwell with the LPR adjusted for velocity. I didn't gauge the efficiency but I had no problem shooting 7 full pods and a hopper, which was all I carried on me.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:27 AM #46
superman3043
Zero Kidz

superman3043 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Nice! Ya know, this is the most on topic OT thread I've ever been a part of lol.

I ran a couple of pods over the clock in my back yard because they canceled our tourney and I was itching to play. Used some left over garbage field paint that I had from practice the prior weekend. It shot decently consistent (+ or - 6), but definitely didn't fly straight. This paint was so bad. Came out of the bag greasy and was literally stuck together in the pods when I dumped it in. But the Rotor and Impulse had no problem with it, so I'm quite impressed.

I'll get to play Saturday in a little 3-man tourney with some of my new player buddy's. Should be fun.
The Zero Adultz 2014

Rare Ego for Sale
superman3043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:33 AM #47
imped4now
BTFU

Nice man....and yeah, it is fairly on topic but oh well....it's a thread to talk about anything we want. The Impulse got some serious compliments from guys that have never seen one or closely checked one out....definitely lighter than an LV1 with similar shot quality and awesome ergos was the general consensus.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:02 AM #48
superman3043
Zero Kidz

Yeah I agree, the grip frame feels nicer, but if I could have something off of the LV1, it'd be the big rubber reg cover. Not everyone cares for them, but I like the way they look and feel. Hmm....
The Zero Adultz 2014

Rare Ego for Sale
Old 07-14-2014, 08:17 AM #49
imped4now
BTFU

Could throw an Exalt cover on it. I threw the one I had on my G6R on my Insight and like it a lot.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:18 AM #50
superman3043
Zero Kidz

Yup, I'm looking at them right now. Thanks!
The Zero Adultz 2014

Rare Ego for Sale
Old 07-14-2014, 10:57 AM #51
ScottQ
lefty scissors

Annual Supporting Member
ScottQ is a Moderator
ScottQ plays in the PSP
I prefer the ole' sports tape method myself.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:16 AM #52
imped4now
BTFU

I'm thinning out the herd if any of you guys see anything you like.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4259065
Old 07-17-2014, 08:33 AM #53
superman3043
Zero Kidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
I'm thinning out the herd if any of you guys see anything you like.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4259065
Didn't you JUST pick that Insight up? Don't care for it? Pretty sexy though.
The Zero Adultz 2014

Rare Ego for Sale
Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 AM #54
imped4now
BTFU

Yep, and this weekend was the tryout. I like the Impulse just a little better so having two high ends doesn't really make a lot of sense. At the same time, I don't really care about making sense and really like the Insight so if it doesn't sell for close to my asking price then I'll just hold on to it.

I would still rather sell the Insight than the Angel and Angel parts but realistically, I don't need either one of them. But my prices are fairly firm so if they don't sell then I'm a happy camper. I did use the Angel this weekend for about an hour (5 pods and a hopper) and it was absolutely fantastic. I love that gun and I've got enough parts to keep it going until the end of time.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:54 AM #55
superman3043
Zero Kidz

Yeah, I feel the same way about my Ego. Honesty it shoot's just as good as the Impulse and in some ways feels a little better. I prefer the ego trigger and balance point, but prefer the Imps grip and reg position. I've offered it up for sale (reluctantly), but refuse to take a low offer on it. I'd rather keep it. But for the very same reason; I just don't need them both. Plus I could use that money for something else.

I've owned a few Angels in my day and have never found one I loved. Just not for me I guess.
The Zero Adultz 2014

Rare Ego for Sale
Old 07-17-2014, 08:55 AM #56
ScottQ
lefty scissors

Annual Supporting Member
ScottQ is a Moderator
ScottQ plays in the PSP
I wish I had the motivation to get my camo karni and 98 sto up and running again.

Paintball occupies 50+ hours a week, so when I get home from work I'd rather not tech guns.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:12 PM #57
imped4now
BTFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman3043 View Post
Yeah, I feel the same way about my Ego. Honesty it shoot's just as good as the Impulse and in some ways feels a little better. I prefer the ego trigger and balance point, but prefer the Imps grip and reg position. I've offered it up for sale (reluctantly), but refuse to take a low offer on it. I'd rather keep it. But for the very same reason; I just don't need them both. Plus I could use that money for something else.

I've owned a few Angels in my day and have never found one I loved. Just not for me I guess.
Yeah, Ego 11's are pretty comfy. If the Insight had the Impulse's frame it'd be game over....hell, if the Axe for that matter had that frame and weighed a bit less it would be nearly perfect. If only the Imp had a flat face below the barrel (no or internal LPR), it would be ergonomic perfection. Regardless, I love this gun.

As for Angels, I've owned a few 06 Speed/GATs and A1 Fly's. I've loved them all but this one now is special--I bought it new and it works fantastically well. Unless someone really wants it then it's staying with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottQ View Post
I wish I had the motivation to get my camo karni and 98 sto up and running again.

Paintball occupies 50+ hours a week, so when I get home from work I'd rather not tech guns.
Damn, I wish paintball could occupy that much of my time every week.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:39 PM #58
superman3043
Zero Kidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Yeah, Ego 11's are pretty comfy. If the Insight had the Impulse's frame it'd be game over....hell, if the Axe for that matter had that frame and weighed a bit less it would be nearly perfect. If only the Imp had a flat face below the barrel (no or internal LPR), it would be ergonomic perfection. Regardless, I love this gun.

As for Angels, I've owned a few 06 Speed/GATs and A1 Fly's. I've loved them all but this one now is special--I bought it new and it works fantastically well. Unless someone really wants it then it's staying with me.

Damn, I wish paintball could occupy that much of my time every week.
I guess you got into Angels after I did, so they probably were better. I got into them when they were still regarded as the "best" marker, but were starting to lose ground to Timmy's and Matrices were the new kid on the block. Cyborgs and Vikings were small time players but were always solid. My first "tourney" marker after my Spyder was an Angel LCD, which I loved but it was absolutely garbage. Had an old Air America Armageddon tank on it. Talk about a heavy beast. My brother had in IR3 which was garbage. Then he bought A4 which was garbage and his teammate bought an 05 speed which was... wait for it.... garbage. I bought my DM3 brand new after my Angel and never looked back. I still had it till a few months ago. I owned the DM3, 2 dm4's, a DM5, and a EM6 back in the day.

Axe never felt good in my hands. It wasn't just the grip frame, it was that foregrip. I put some glock grip tape on it and liked it a lot better right before I got rid of it.

I do like to grip high on the gun with my front hand as well, but those protruding LPR's never really bothered me that much.

You started a cool game though. So the perfect gun? And go:

- To me probably an LV1 or Geo 3.1/GSL with a Dye UL Frame or JT Impulse frame

- Or a Clone GTI with either aformentioned contoured frame.
The Zero Adultz 2014

Rare Ego for Sale
Old 07-17-2014, 01:42 PM #59
imped4now
BTFU

Oh no, I've been around the game since before the Angel existed. I owned a couple LCD's (and AA tanks ), 05 speed, and G7. I didn't love them until 'more recently', like the last 5 years. This is the best Angel I've ever owned and is, therefore, the hardest to part with. It's probably staying put.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:00 PM #60
superman3043
Zero Kidz

I got ya... Yeah I figured you'd been around longer. My experience with Angels was just not good. I really could say the same about the Axe. The previous owner really did a number on it. I put in enough time, effort and money to make it perfect... Then sold it lol. But it definitely didn't turn me off of Kee guns (obviously). The customer support was absolutely phenomenal. I don't remember Dye's being as good back when I was a fan-boy.
The Zero Adultz 2014

Rare Ego for Sale
Old 07-17-2014, 02:59 PM #61
imped4now
BTFU

Here are my thoughts on the Axe:

Buy a good stock one and keep it that way (aside from barrel). Obviously you can change the trigger, feedneck, etc for preference but internally they are fantastic.....much better than they get credit for. I bought my Axe brand new, played with it a while, and replaced the stock trigger with a Violent and feedneck with the nice Vanquish-style clamping unit. I purchased a Lurker bolt and had nothing but issues (blowback and massive inconsistency) with it regardless of what I did and the oring sizing I used. To me, that's beyond comprehension since I consider myself very well versed on the operation of the marker. I picked up a Boss bolt and had it working much better but the marker still wasn't as consistent as I would like it to be and it was just barely 'smoother' when dry firing.....Axe's are already glassy smooth out of the box so trying to make it better is just silly IMO, and that's coming from someone who tried.

I then purchased the Lurker poppet and while I can get the marker to function with it, the results aren't nearly what I would like. After all of this tinkering, trying different oring fitment and materials, etc for weeks to get the gun to perform well with the aftermarket parts, I swapped back to the stock bolt and poppet and did some direct comparisons. With M11x1.5 bolt guide orings and standard sized bolt (016 and 017) and poppet (012) urethane orings, my Axe can shoot 300 fps @ 6ms dwell, 1.25 turns out and 170 psi. It's +/- 2-3 and very smooth, quiet and efficient. It doesn't require anything at all. It never needs to be lubed and it consistently performs awesome and shoots every bit as smooth as my Insight.

Long story short: Leave the stock internals alone aside from reducing friction with some simple oring swaps.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:51 PM #62
superman3043
Zero Kidz

Yeah I definitely agree. I've never really been sold on aftermarket parts anyway. The one I bought actually came with a Boss Infamous bolt only and no stock bolt. Come to find out it was the root of all of my issues. It had a nano feedneck on it which was nice.

First time out, it had crazy blowback and was + or - 20 over the chrono when it wasn't making milkshake in my loader.

So in learning about the gun and coming back to paintball after a long time off, I threw a slew of parts at it in an attempt to fix it. Replaced all the o-rings with Boss guide and bolt o-rings. Tried a spring kit, upgraded the Optimus to a Shockwave board and did a full rebuild with everything in the parts kit. Upon servicing the Relay Reg, I discovered a missing cup seal, but the little check valve in the transfer plate was still in tact.

Finally gave up and called Kee and they got me a new bolt AND bolt guide. Tried the bolt and it worked like a charm. Took it to an event and let my snake player use it and he spiked it and brought it back to me with the foregrip disconnected from the gun. I put it back on and gave it back to him. He took it to the chrono and brought it back to me and told me it was shooting something ridiculous like 450 fps. Then every time I flipped the reg lever, the gauge would just spike, so I'm pretty sure he blew my solenoid. Sent it back to Kee and the work order said "replaced EVERYTHING" when it came back lol. I know it had at least a new board, solenoid, and detents on board. It was shooting like a boss though, just in time to go to it's new owner.

My buddy that brought me back to paintball was shooting an Axe pro at the time and that's what convinced me to get one. He had a boss bolt and violent deuce on it and it shot amazing. When I was trouble shooting mine, I used his engine and it worked great in my gun. He tried a Lurker poppet and it went to **** though. He shortly bought a GSL afterward lol.
The Zero Adultz 2014

Rare Ego for Sale
Old 07-17-2014, 06:11 PM #63
imped4now
BTFU

I think you'd definitely be a believer if you shot my Axe.