PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-16-2001, 03:56 PM #1
Enchilada

has been a member for 10 years
Question Is Zack on Crack?

Ok I was playing up in Vallejo at Paintball Jungle yesterday (won't be back), and I decided to head over to Delta paintball on the way home to ask Zack a few questions (see my earlier post “What gives?”).

On the screws it seems that they are now making the markers with just one sized screw and using washers on the front. He showed me several on the wall that had them like that. I didn’t ask why, but my guess would be cost and the convince of just using one screw for both.

Then I started to ask him about my low LP/Volumizer mod as I had been shooting at about 220-230 for 280 fps earlier that day with the Bob Long delrin bolt, and my Max-Flo and a gas thru. I dunno if he was in a bad mood or what but he was kind of short with me, and told me that the LP/Volumizer mod must be used with a vertical secondary regulator set to about 200 and a tank set to 500. I told him that I had a Max-Flo, and that I thought the whole point of that tank was that it didn’t need a secondary reg. And he was basically “nope… has too, your just wasting a lot of extra air otherwise - won't get right presssures with a gas thru grip” and then showed me several setups he had behind the counter. I was so flustered and confused by all of that, that I forgot to ask him what the best dwell, and LPR settings for the LP mod are.

Anyway, he had me thinking of ways I could get rid of my tank (ebay), and buy a new tank and secondary reg all the way home. I have a shocker Max-Flo, so it won’t ever get above 240 so it’s a new tank or nuttin if I follow his recommendations. But then I got to thinking that I had read about several people using my exact setup successfully in this forum. So now my question is Zack on crack? Do I need a new tank and reg?

If he’s wrong why was my pressure so high for that velocity? It wasn’t being very consistent either with as much as +/- 10 sometimes at the chrono. I was at 6 dwell to start but I went to 8 later, which helped a bit, but it was still seemingly all over the place. My LPR was set to 85, and this is a brand new marker btw.

Help anyone!

Mah Timmah!

Last edited by Enchilada : 12-19-2001 at 01:11 AM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2001, 04:13 PM #2
Paco02
Works Cocker

No Crack For zach

No.........as always he's right, you need a vert reg running about 200-250.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:49 AM #3
Eyecare

Eyecare is a Supporting Member
Since the MaxFlow is a dual-regged HPA system you can run it directly off of it with the input to your gun at around 285psi. I think Zack's point was that you'll waste more air that way than by running through an inline secondary reg but I'm not sure why. Not sure why he's specifying 200psi either as most regs run well with a 200psi difference. If anyone knows I'm interested.

Keep in mind that in the stock configuration the LPR runs around 85psi, the HPR runs around 285psi and the input is 500psi or so.
Any reg takes time to break-in. It's not unheard of for Sidewinders to need two cases before they've settled nicely. It's a bit early to change anything yet. Might want to make sure everything is lubed properly though.

Pics of my guns

Doc's SP Patent FAQ and related article

Last edited by Eyecare : 12-17-2001 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:03 PM #4
AdrenaLCD222
Game.....Blouses

When you get the LP mod, you are basically moving the HP reg down to your inline (if you have one). There needs to be 200psi going into the gun, then the LP reg should be around 90 or so. The pressure from the tank into the inline should be 500psi. This is the best setup for the intimidator, especially if you want good efficiency for both air and fps.
You should try it out and see how much of a difference it makes. This weekend I made a guys intimidator with a flatline AGD tank and a gas thru shoot consistent, but he still had the high pressure reg. You should try the new Bob long inline reg when it comes out.

Late!
Old 12-17-2001, 01:13 PM #5
Enchilada

Well I guess I'll try it one more time with the dwell at 8 for the whole time. It was more consistent like that, but I'm still shooting at kind of a high pressure. It might have been my barrel length too. I was using the 14" extension on my J&J and that has a lot of porting.

If it's still off I'll look at my options, I'm just kind of bummed cause I thought I had what was going to be a perfect setup.

If anyone wants to see my baby, I just posted pics here and in the pic thread too.

Thanks!

Mah Timmah!
Old 12-17-2001, 06:38 PM #6
Ziggy13
717studios.com

Ziggy13 is a Supporting Member
His name is Zact

ZacharyZiegler.com - My blog on brewing, photography, business, sports and design
Old 12-17-2001, 06:56 PM #7
neildepainter
I built YOUR gun!

neildepainter donated to help Peyton Trent
The reason that you are wasting more air is because you have gutted the HP reg. Added a gas-thru and now turned your entire system from the tank on, into a larger volumizer. The air in the line will be at the same pressure as the air in the volumizer and will increase the overall capacity of the volumizer, because they are directly connected without a pin valve between them anymore. For the most part, that extra space is not needed. That is why an inline asa adaptor reg is recommended. It will decrease the size of the volumizer (from the other type of setup you are talking about), but keep it large enought to not have shootdown. Hence the volumizer itself.
As for why you marker is in the 230 psi range. I accredit that to the 'all timmys act different' law. Especially with bobby's bolt because it was designed to fit loosly in the chamber which waste air efficiency in itself.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:12 PM #8
Enchilada

Ok then, if I went with something like a Smart Parts gas thru that has the gas input closer to the top would that improve things? Is that why they do that btw? I always just thought it was to make room for their barrel plug.

Should I try the Mtn bolt? Is your 5th gen bolt available yet? I'd be more interested in the lighter one. Or should I just get o-rings put on bob's bolt, would that help? My friend has a machine shop; I could prolly get it done for free.

And finally, which is better the open or venturi end of bob's bolt? Which is more efficient or lower pressure?

Mah Timmah!

Last edited by Enchilada : 12-18-2001 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2001, 07:41 PM #9
PaintCocker
Owner of MTN Paintball

Yes, the Gen5 is out. You can get it through us (MTN Paintball), County Paintball, and Paintball Kingdom.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:39 PM #10
Enchilada

Oh well, I just looked at my BL delrin bolt, and the set screw hole is right where the back o-ring would go. I guess that won't work.

Any answers to my other questions in my last post above?

Mah Timmah!
Old 12-19-2001, 12:19 AM #11
Kyle J Flood
Distracted

His name is Zack ..gotta love facefull ...Hello proofing a magazine .
Kyle
Old 12-19-2001, 05:40 AM #12
Ziggy13
717studios.com

Ziggy13 is a Supporting Member
Oh...I saw it as Zact a few times, not just Facefull.

ZacharyZiegler.com - My blog on brewing, photography, business, sports and design
Old 12-19-2001, 11:28 AM #13
PaintCocker
Owner of MTN Paintball

Aww Trust Kyle, he worked with Zack for over 2 years. And when Zack write's me, he signs his Name Zack. LOL I will have to tell him that he spells his name wrong.