PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-16-2001, 03:51 PM #1
ridebmx8311984
down fo the ultraviolence

has been a member for 10 years
Exclamation this is da*ned important... TV coverage?

ok im a freestyle bmx rider, so i know how it feels to want to get alot of coverage for your sport. ive been reading in magazines about how lots of paintballers want to get TV coverage, and national acceptance. well let me tell you how it will be when you get what you want kuz the same thing happened to my beloved sport of BMX.
at First it will be kool, there will be tons of money into the sport, teams will start being more sucessful, and more ppl will start to play the sport, that sounds sweet right?
wrong. first of all, when all the money comes into the sport.. .not everyone is going to get it. only the top teams, and the biggest corporations. so you will have a gap between competition players and rec ballers. And companies who make competition level markers and companies who make middle range markers. Eventually the gap between the two will get so big that the most sucessful teams will become loathed by the general public of paintballers, theyll be called sell outs and pansies.... no matter how good they are. the same thing happened w/ 2 guys in bmx *dave mirra and ryan nyquist*
Then you have all the new guys who are going to get guns and start playin PB... actually most of htem will be kids, not guys... like 11 or 12 year olds who dont really understand whats goin on in the field. Theyll all have Angels and Cockers and Epics, kuz thats whats hot and their suburban parents are willing to give them whatever the heck they want. Most of these kids are going to play for a while, get in yoru way, get you killed... and stuff like that until their parents finally get tired of bustin their cash on paintballs and N2 (kuz you know theyll have N2 and not CO2 or compressed air).
so i leave it to you all... do you really want national exposure? maybe the negative views of PB from the general public are for the better.. maybe keeping paintball as an underground sport is for the better. Its up to you all because if we really want TV coverage and national acceptance we can get it. but it comes w/ a heavy price.
i jus thought i would throw that out there for everyone to look at .
i wanna hear what you all have to say about it so please respond.
peace
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2001, 05:48 PM #2
Psyco Diver 69

Well last year Fox news did coverage on paintball last year and they talked about how good it was, no real trash talk, but they gave pointers ,buy a cheap but good starter gun, buy a face mask, and get comfurtable clothes and shoes. I can't remember the rest.

I'm a dirtbike so I know bad stereo typing, so what we got to do is show them right from wrong and if that fails mark them on their "jewels" or the back of their heads.
Old 12-16-2001, 07:55 PM #3
Rob Zombie

ok.

yeah with paintball as an underground sport it is good, but it would also be cool to have it as a real big thing, where you could get paid for playing and that could be your job, like other athletes get paid, like people who play baseball, football, soccer, tennis ( I hate that sport), and even bowling, pool, and all that crap, and and can't forget the bmx, I do bmx to.
Old 12-16-2001, 09:28 PM #4
ridebmx8311984

if paintball did go mainstream, it would probably go the way bmx did, with street riding and comp. riding....
youll have your comp guys and your rec guys, and some guys will sit in the middle and do both and some guys will bitterly hate the other guys....
gettin paid to play would be sweet, and its all good as long as yoru willing to take all the stuff that comes w/ it. i, personally, am happy to have paintball be an u/g sport to keep the lil poser puss's out.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:09 PM #5
The_Joker

You know, he has some really good points. Actually, I have never been a huge advocate of paintballing being on TV because I see nothing wrong with it at the current stage. Its more of a community this way and I dont really think its worth losing that. Besides, what the hell would we get from TV coverage. Better fields, maybe. But with those would come higher paint prices, more dumb people and cheaters, Gear prices would go up and there would be a flood of cheaply made knock off products. Right now the Paintball industry is right where it should be and that kind of explosive growth is very reminiscent of a Fad. It could destroy the industry after the craze goes away. I might be wrong but I think that maybe in a year or two this whole media driven craze about skating/bmx will die off. And what will it leave behind it? Before jumping on the TV bandwagon consider that you need to take the bad with the good... and whether the good is good enough to be worth taking.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:32 PM #6
Nitro

ya thers some good points in there, but right now Paintball has more players then bmx :p they show all the sports on the new APG mag, i flipped throught it at the store...
Old 12-17-2001, 08:32 PM #7
ridebmx8311984

amen joker

i mean think about watching paintball on tv... how would they be able to show everyone on the field at once anyway?? theyd havta have some kinda split screen so you could see everything on the field from both perspectives... itd be a hard sport to televise... i think alot of hte strategy would be lost if TV started broadcasting alot of PB.

its nice to see some discussion
thanks all
Old 12-17-2001, 10:12 PM #8
Spyder-Guy
F**K YOU

I also think it should stay an underground sport.
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be.
It's already where I am'
Cuz I'm already there.
Serj Tankian-System of a Down
Old 12-17-2001, 10:22 PM #9
Llama
Want to buy a camel?

Quote:
Originally posted by Spyder-Guy
I also think it should stay an underground sport.
I'll second that motion
Old 12-17-2001, 10:24 PM #10
Spyder-Guy
F**K YOU

What motion I did not see anyone move. What are you talking about. I am lost.
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be.
It's already where I am'
Cuz I'm already there.
Serj Tankian-System of a Down
Old 12-17-2001, 10:36 PM #11
Llama
Want to buy a camel?

hehe
Old 12-18-2001, 12:16 PM #12
fuzz

fuzz is a Supporting Member
hey llama, haven't seen you around as much recently, miss seen your goofy avatar
Old 12-18-2001, 04:01 PM #13
ShadowBMX

i really hope paintball stays underground. I don't want it to end up like bmx. bmx IS dieing. now. and when it dies completely, some of the better, underground so to speak, rider owned companies(mutiny, fbm, kink, ect) will go out of business. And good parts will be hard to find. And if you manage to find them, they're gonna cost you.
In other words, no more poser kids to buy stuff that keeps alot of companies in business(bad news for Dan Duckworth eh?)
This is just my prediction for BMX, and i hope paintball doesn't go "mainstream"
Old 12-18-2001, 06:31 PM #14
The_Joker

The fact is paintball on TV would be hard. If you have downloaded ANY tournamemnt videos like Shgadaddies you'll know what i mean. You can't see a whole lot of the field and the only reason you are entertained is becuse you play the sport and you know whats going on. Besides why should it be televised. Who wants to pay pro\televised sports admission prices. $30, $50 just to see a days worth of games. No thank you, Ill keep the community, the obscurity, and paintball as it is today.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:08 PM #15
ridebmx8311984

not to turn this into bmx talk or anything but if FBM ever went out of business i would quit riding the day i heard it kuz they are by are the most devoted to the sport and theyre freakin badarses too.
as for paintball, i too, am happy with our sport in the underground form... im jus wonderin of you guys who said you wanted it underground too... are any of you comp. players? or all rec guys?
Old 12-18-2001, 11:23 PM #16
ShadowBMX

i play tourny and "outlaw"(actually its our teams field, but i geuss its still outlaw(its a speedball field btw))