Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-24-2014, 10:54 AM #1
djsaad1

Dye Dam Bolt Stick

My bolt is getting stuck in the forward position after one shot, or sometimes it fires on its own when i turn on the air and gets stuck too. After it gets stuck air leaks through the barrel.

I lubed the bolt pretty well, but it's still happening. My tank is really low on air, could that be the issue right now? Or should I start by changing out all the o rings?
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2014, 11:14 AM #2
Robotech

has been a member for 10 years
Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
What parts did you lube? Have you checked to make sure the bolt assembly isn't coming apart somewhere? I'd pull your bolt and make sure all the parts are snuggly screwed together.

If this all checks out, and it's properly lubed, check to see if there is any debris like broken paint shell in the reciever. Take out your eye pipe and verify that it isn't damaged or broken.

Finally, try replaceing your o-rings.

If none of this works, contact Dye. They can help you out I'm sure.

Note that when the bolt is in the forward positon it would be normal for air to leak out the barrel if it was aired up.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:42 PM #3
djsaad1

What worries me is that it fired right after I turned on the air and power was off. Have you ever seen that before? Luckily I wasn't getting ready at a public field since I had paint in there at the time.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 PM #4
Drenlo

I've had similar issues due to a low battery and or low air.

Since you said your air was really low that is the problem. I'm assuming by really low you mean below 1000 PSI? The marker will keep firing below 1000 but at a certain point it will start acting "weird". It really starts to not cycle properly around 500 PSI. If you're over 1k PSI that is probably not the issue.

It could also just be the battery. I would try a new battery if it's not the air. I've had batteries that felt like they had a charge when you put your tongue on the terminals, but it wasn't enough of a charge where the DAM wanted to cycle properly with them.

The firing while off probably was just the marker trying to pressurize and not being able to do so properly because of a lack of air. It probably wasn't a true shot but might have sounded like one.

Last edited by Drenlo : 06-24-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Drenlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:32 PM #5
djsaad1

My first guess was air, but since I am now out of air and this sunday is the only chance I have to play for at least a month. I am going to clean everything now, change batteries, replace o rings, and hope for the best on sunday when I can refill the air.

Worst case scenario I will leave the gun there with a tech and rent a gun for the day.

Thank you guys for the help.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:36 PM #6
Drenlo

Yeah if you're actually out of air now then I can almost guarantee it was the air.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:06 PM #7
Robotech

Huh, first I've heard of this issue. Glad I have that 100/4500 tank! LOL I can shoot everything on my carrier and still have over 1K of air left so that may have something to do with why I haven't experianced this issue.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:46 PM #8
Drenlo

It's not really an issue so much as just not enough air to cycle the bolt properly. It'll start firing forward and then not pull it back properly. If you fire it very slowly you might be able to get a couple of extra shots out of it. Filling up the air tank fixes the "problem"

It happened to me at my spring scenario when we were only getting 3.2k fills out of the 4.5k PSI pumps.

Outside of that I've only ever seen it one other time when I was at home when I was almost completely out of air. I might have even been in the zero range on that one. I want to say you have to be well below 500 but I don't remember what my PSI was when it started happening. My tank might have been in the long white area when your tank is bottoming out on air pressure.

The battery has been my biggest culprit and I always carry a spare. I actually was using a battery that I thought was newish at D-Day and I had to swap it out an hour or two in the game with a new one. My bolt wasn't cycling properly. It would make a puffing sound and look like the bolt was getting stuck. Thankfully I knew enough to know what it was so that I didn't walk off the field to try and figure it out.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:50 PM #9
Robotech

I haven't had a battery die in the field on me yet but I always have a spare in that little compartment in the stock just in case. LOL
Old 06-24-2014, 07:41 PM #10
djsaad1

Got a friend to drop off a tank, and the bolt is still getting stuck after one shot. I also switched the battery, put in a new eye pipe and whatever the thing that holds it is called.

I will try replacing all the o rings now.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:54 PM #11
djsaad1

Figured it out. I tested it out with the old bolt from before the box rotor and it worked great.

So I looked at the new bolt and compared it to a youtube video and it was missing the red oring in the middle. Not sure what happened to that ring, but once I put it on everything worked perfectly.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:37 PM #12
Robotech

That will do it.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:51 AM #13
Drenlo

I'm glad it was something relatively simple at least.

Let us know how you like the Box Rotor. I probably won't have mine until next spring.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:44 PM #14
Sandeezy
Going Balls Deep

Sandeezy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Sandeezy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
My friend had this issue with his DAM straight out of the box. First the bolt was stuck too far down the Eye piece. After that, it wouldn't dry fire or anything after we gassed it up and adjusted the velocity.
But yeah, usually the first thing should always be the battery. GL with o-rings, the DAM has enough in it to supply your whole team.
Sandeezy is offline   Reply With Quote