EPL Raceto4 Event - First EPL Experience
I just wanted to share a few things as food for thought regard the event in Chesapeake, VA this past weekend. Please keep an open mind and realize these comments are geared toward delivering a quality product and continuous refinement.
1. Pit Entry/Exit Hole and Concede Button - The Home Side entry/exit hole for the pits was on the same side as the concede button. And the concede button was attached directly to the support structure for the entry/exit hole. Granted, I do not recall hearing of any issue but, with teams/players entering and exiting all day, it's very possible and quite likely that someone could inadvertently hit the concede button while a match is going on and cause issues with a match. The Away Side concede button and entry/exit hole were properly set up, on opposite sides as they should be. Please make an effort to change this for future Raceto4 events to completely eliminate this possibility.
2. Air Fills - I'm not sure if anyone else realized this but, the Home Side was struggling to get 4,000 fills whereas the Away Side consistently filled to 4,400-4,500. At least, that is my experience. This can make a gross difference in a match as well.
3. Reffing - I saw great reffing and I also saw some reffing that left things to be desired. As a player and ref myself in tournament paintball for 16+ years, I understand there will be variances. Just make sure that you are constantly reinforcing consistency with the reffing crew and that they are working together as a cohesive unit. Penalties were not consistently utilized either. Many instances of not throwing minors for playing on with inobvious hits for extended amounts of time. Players talking after they were eliminated. I saw it several times and not one penalty thrown. I happened to be on the wrong side of a call where a ref came in and THOROUGHLY checked me and called me clean and then as soon as I posted back up to start to play, a sideline ref called me out and pointed to an area of my body with absolutely no hit and where the previous ref had already checked me and called me clean. I'm not complaining, so please do not take it as such. Just making a statement.
4. Facility - This facility was very nice and perfectly set up for the size of the event. The field was in decent playing condition. Not perfect, but decent. The ruts in the field and lackluster seaming of the turf were unsightly, but did not cause any issues for me personally. I was worried that the ruts would cause someone to turn an ankle. I did not hear of that happening, so I guess a bullet was dodged.
5. Bunker Placement - Using small amounts of water to hold those bunkers in place was a terrible idea! Some of the dorito bunkers were flared up on the ends making it difficult to not get shot in the foot/legs. I know I personally shot 2-3 players out this way during the course of the tournament. I also saw several instances where when players slid in, they knocked their bunkers out of alignment significantly, sometimes resulting in getting shot out prematurely or what I will refer to as "altering the playing field, which should result in an automatic elimination of that player". When the bunkers are staked down or properly weighted down, this isn't an issue. Please address this issue for future events.
6. Ultimate Ref - Big E was a perfect gentleman and very easy to talk to and answer questions. He's a great guy and tournament paintball needs more people like him! I applaud his efforts.
7. Overall - The event ran smoothly given all the on/off rain we had. The reffing was good. The competition was pretty dang good, considering so many teams were away at the PSP event in Chicago. I had an amazing time and I understand there may be another Raceto4 EPL event held here in September. If so, count me in!!! My team played decent this event, for a throw together. We will be working together more and will come back stronger.
In Loving Memory of Master Sergeant Jerry Bruce Cleveland - U.S. Army Rest In Peace Dad, I love you, HOOAH!!!
Dark Carnival 2007, 2008
HATE Squad 2012, 2013, 2014
Rest In Peace - Timothy "Derder Timmy" Rodgers 3/20/89-3/25/15