Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-02-2014, 12:21 AM #1
faus7rav3n

DP G4 - Reg Adjustment STRIPPED!

Took the G4 out of the bag today. Stuck it on the chrono after bore sizing the paint. Tree-fiddy. I tried to adjust it down more and more, up and down, and it went no where. Finally dropped and stayed at 323 fps. Pulled the Reg, cleaned, re-lubed the guts, and re-installed. Still didn't budge when attempting to adjust it. Took a glance at the adjustment screw on the reg and saw shredded aluminum. That explained the lack of adjustment, because the reg threads were gone! Put her right back in the bag.

What reg should I get to replace the now defunct G4 reg? Hyper 3? AKA? Thoughts?

Last edited by faus7rav3n : 06-02-2014 at 12:09 PM. Reason: threads do not = screws
faus7rav3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2014, 01:05 AM #2
ZeerowCool

Same thing happened to my teammate. He ended up replacing the stock reg with a PE Violent SL3 (loves it). My backup is a used G4 that I'm considering adding a Dye Hyper 3 w/ 45 degree fitting to go along with the PE POPS ASA that I used to replace the stock DP ASA that did nothing but leak
ZeerowCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 AM #3
faus7rav3n

I've seen a few Hyper3's w/NT grips installed on G4's. Look like they fit perfectly with the gun as if it were stock. It's high on the list for consideration, with several folks at the field recommending it. I won't be replacing with a stock DP reg. Never had a problem with the DP On/Off, in fact it's one of my favorite features of the gun. Almost all of my leak problems in that area stem from the macros.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:52 AM #4
smalltownkaos
Azodin Fan

smalltownkaos has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
smalltownkaos has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
smalltownkaos has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
if its just the adjustment screw, go to the hardware store and get another.
Capt. American Blitz Evo
w/ matching zero
DP: Green G4...Green F8
smalltownkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:10 PM #5
faus7rav3n

Pardon my mistake. It was the actual threads of the reg adjustment, not the screw itself. Steel screw + Aluminum body does not a good match make.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:21 PM #6
sstiggy

sstiggy supports Team VICIOUS
Go with a Bob Long 360 reg
sstiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:33 PM #7
faus7rav3n

Is the BL360 any better? It sounds like internally they are based on a similar shim stack design. I can't find much on the consistency of the BL360 compared to the Hyper3.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:55 PM #8
CA_Tectonics

The 360 is a very consistent reg. The design is a little different than a DP reg and the "reg seat" design is very different that the G4.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:04 PM #9
sstiggy

sstiggy supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by faus7rav3n View Post
Is the BL360 any better? It sounds like internally they are based on a similar shim stack design. I can't find much on the consistency of the BL360 compared to the Hyper3.
The 360 & MacDev Gladiators are probably the most consistent regs other besides the AKA
sstiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:47 PM #10
faus7rav3n

The big issue right now that I have with the BL360 is clearance to the trigger frame. I don't think the macro fittings will clear without being on one side of the gun or the other.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:55 AM #11
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
The big issue right now that I have with the BL360 is clearance to the trigger frame. I don't think the macro fittings will clear without being on one side of the gun or the other.
I had to think about this for a few minutes but then just decided to find out first-hand - It'll fit with plenty of room:

7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Old 06-03-2014, 08:19 PM #12
faus7rav3n

This picture was a godsend and ultimately the decider. Ordered the BL360 at the DP Forum's recommendation in dust black and it shipped today! Thanks for the help all who commented. Looking forward to getting this and the Two Fat Guys Bolt installed!
Old 06-03-2014, 09:14 PM #13
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
This picture was a godsend and ultimately the decider. Ordered the BL360 at the DP Forum's recommendation in dust black and it shipped today! Thanks for the help all who commented. Looking forward to getting this and the Two Fat Guys Bolt installed!
Glad it helped you out.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:20 PM #14
PandaSquiidd

had a similar problem, i personally switched mine out with a CP reg and now it works wonders<3
Old 12-11-2014, 01:50 PM #15
Qranc

Annual Supporting Member
Ughhh ... wish I had read this earlier. Just stripped the reg on my oldest of three G4 and ordered an entire new reg set from DP. They shipped fast, wanted it to use it for the weekend. The problem is the new reg, even screwd down all the way I still can't get it down to 250 fps (TechT L7 bolt installed)!! wtf?!!??

Had I read this I probably would have gone with a different reg, that said the DP is on sale for half the price ($35.00 for the entire reg assembly).

Alternately I wanted to mention you can just get a new reg bottom housing for $15 from DP. If you are in Canada though the shipping is stupid ($112.00 ups shipping only option). Luckily for me I have a US address I can ship to and pick up at.
Qranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:08 PM #16
CA_Tectonics

HOLLY CRAP!!!!! $112 just for shipping? WOW!

As for the adjustability, I don't understand why you can't lower the FPS. You should be able to lower the output of the reg which lowers the FPS. Screwing the adjustment screw IN should lower the FPS and lower the reg output all the way to 0 psi. Are you missing a piece (the ball bearing) by chance? Are the parts seated correctly in the housing - like the orientation of the reg seat and the cutaway for the ball bearing? How does the reg seat look? It should be flat and smooth. If is has chunks missing or has a severe ring depression or otherwise deformed, that may be your issue.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:29 PM #17
Qranc

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tectonics View Post
HOLLY CRAP!!!!! $112 just for shipping? WOW!

As for the adjustability, I don't understand why you can't lower the FPS. You should be able to lower the output of the reg which lowers the FPS. Screwing the adjustment screw IN should lower the FPS and lower the reg output all the way to 0 psi. Are you missing a piece (the ball bearing) by chance? Are the parts seated correctly in the housing - like the orientation of the reg seat and the cutaway for the ball bearing? How does the reg seat look? It should be flat and smooth. If is has chunks missing or has a severe ring depression or otherwise deformed, that may be your issue.
Yes and the shipping to Washington 20 minutes away from me was only $7.00 lol!! Sometimes the cross border stuff gets annoyingly stupid.

Those are good points, I had assumed being new from DP it would be all factory kosher. I'll have to take it apart and look. The adjustment screw was all the way in when it arrived, I backed it out a bit and was trying to adjust it at the chrono station firing a few shots in between turns. On the old reg the seat was marked and the ball a bit less than polished but I would assume the new one being a complete reg set should be all spanking shiny smooth.

I'll check the internals on the lower half of the reg. Which side of the cutaway should be facing the adjustment screw? the deeper cutaway faces the set screw I thought? Just want to make sure.

I should mention this one has a TechT bolt and the APE Rampage board should it make any diff. The two stock ones I have work just fine *shrug.

And thanks for your help!

Last edited by Qranc : 12-11-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:27 AM #18
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qranc View Post
Yes and the shipping to Washington 20 minutes away from me was only $7.00 lol!! Sometimes the cross border stuff gets annoyingly stupid.

Those are good points, I had assumed being new from DP it would be all factory kosher. I'll have to take it apart and look. The adjustment screw was all the way in when it arrived, I backed it out a bit and was trying to adjust it at the chrono station firing a few shots in between turns. On the old reg the seat was marked and the ball a bit less than polished but I would assume the new one being a complete reg set should be all spanking shiny smooth.

I'll check the internals on the lower half of the reg. Which side of the cutaway should be facing the adjustment screw? the deeper cutaway faces the set screw I thought? Just want to make sure.

I should mention this one has a TechT bolt and the APE Rampage board should it make any diff. The two stock ones I have work just fine *shrug.

And thanks for your help!
Sorry, don't know how I missed your questions earlier.

You are correct in that the larger cutaway side of the seat faces toward the adjustment screw. That way, when turning in the screw, it pushes the ball back, which pushes the seat up and closes off the output air. You do have to be sure of a couple things with the G4 reg. 1) be sure that it is assembled correctly and with all parts - this includes that the cutaway is facing correctly and that the cutaway lines up with the adjustment screw opening. 2) sometimes the ball bearing gets stuck and the reg won't change output because of the stuck ball bearing not allowing the seat to move. If I remember correctly, this is more for not being able to turn up the FPS but it is something to check anyway.

Have you tested the other G4s to see if they misbehave? Have one of those stock ones set up at normal fps then drop in the TechT and see what you get. Then see if you are able to adjust the FPS. Lastly, are the board settings all the same with all the markers (stock and TechT)?
Old 12-12-2014, 01:07 PM #19
Qranc

Annual Supporting Member
My other two G4 are completely stock, one is brand new having played only 5 games or so. My sons use them and were working fine. Mine is older and seen a lot of paint go through, I bought it here on the nation. It has the APE Rampage board along with the TechT bolt. I stripped it down last night, reg was assembled correctly, I just cleaned it and re-lubed it with dow 33 light. I will be replacing orings etc. tonight as I reassemble it. It had a lot of paint inside the breach and the eyes were caked, looked like it was blowing up inside lol. Clean it all up, new orings and lube. I'll check the dwell on the board, I have no idea what it is set at honestly. The detents are slightly worn so will replace those as well, it was probably due for some service. Will start there and see how it works out this weekend.

Oh yeah ... there seemed to be a lot of residue in and around the noid, as if it was blowing the grease around. Maybe the orings are due for replacement? Not sure if this would impact the performance.

The paint blowing up in the breach has me confused, it looks worse than a typical chop ... but then hell what do I know lol. Essentially for a good portion of the game (not sure how long) it was like playing with eyes off as they must have been caked in paint.

Last edited by Qranc : 12-12-2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 12-12-2014, 02:09 PM #20
CA_Tectonics

That's good that everything is assembled correctly. Just curious what the results are when swapping out the bolt engine with one of the stock bolts. That should help determine if it is the TechT engine that is the issue (I doubt it but you never know) or the marker.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:07 PM #21
Qranc

Annual Supporting Member
So I played today and my G4 seemed to be working fine. The field rules are 250fps and fully turned in it would chorno at 255 to 265 so I just played with that. I didn't have a chance to swap out the bolts as my sons bolt bumper broke so I gave him mine from my stock bumper, I guess we could have swapped bolts ... it seemed to work fine. The rest of the little issues i would blame on the cheap paint and the mandatory gravity fed hoppers.

Just wondering if anybody knows, I notice some do and some don't have the washer in the G4 regulator, does it make a difference? has anybody tested that out?

Thank you for your help, the overhaul seemed to bring it back to life.

Last edited by Qranc : 12-15-2014 at 04:08 AM.