PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-16-2001, 12:14 AM #1
PBaller_12

has been a member for 10 years
'Cocker is a major gas hog

Just a couple days ago, I got a Maddmann spring kit (green main and green valve spring) with my AKA Tornado valve. Well, today for the first time since I changed the springs, I gassed the gun up. It worked fine and I was able to get my Max Flow down to 200 psi but HOLY COW does it suck up gas! You can see the pressure needle on the Max Flow decreasing as you pull the trigger! I'm lucky to get 400 rounds from a 68/3000 nitro tank!

Now correct me if I'm wrong but aren't lighter springs (valve and main) plus a higher flow exhaust valve suppose to INCREASE effeciency?? If it makes any difference I have the AKA bolt. Also, I haven't fired any paint through it yet. I've just shot air since I changed the valve and main springs. Could that have anything to do with it? Will I get good effeciency when I start shooting paint through it?

What do you guys suggest? Thanks for anyones help.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2001, 12:16 AM #2
Steve638

Blue

Unless im wrong the green springs in the maddman are the mid tension the red is heavy and blue is light so use the blue and see if that works or it could be that you arent using paint if im wrong
Old 12-16-2001, 12:55 AM #3
headcase
Me like toys

Re: 'Cocker is a major gas hog

Quote:
Originally posted by PBaller_12

Now correct me if I'm wrong but aren't lighter springs (valve and main) plus a higher flow exhaust valve suppose to INCREASE effeciency?? If it makes any difference I have the AKA bolt. Also, I haven't fired any paint through it yet. I've just shot air since I changed the valve and main springs. Could that have anything to do with it? Will I get good effeciency when I start shooting paint through it?

What do you guys suggest? Thanks for anyones help.
OK let's see if I can do this.
1) If you haven't shot any paint yet, you don't know what your velocity is at. So you could be shooting hot and wasting gas. Could be part of your problem

2) No, a high low valve/bolt and light springs will get you LP, and not necessarily good effeciency. You shouldn't be trying to shoot at a set pressure, just to say your operating pressure is 200.

3)I would put the next heaviest valve spring in. And back your velocity adjuster all the way out. Turn the Max down to about a 150 or so and fire a ball over a chrony. Turn the input pressure up a little, chrony again. Keep doing this untill your velocity doesn't increase. At this point your marker is at it's most effecient pressure. If your velocity is a little low fine tune it with the adjuster. If it is way high or way low, you have to switch springs, and do it all over again.

4) Fine tuning a cocker isn't something you should try to do before a play day. It can take to much time to get it set up right.

Well I think that is all of it.....if I missed something, or screwed up I'm sure someone will correct me.

GoodLuck
Later
SSDD
Old 12-16-2001, 07:52 AM #4
Rob Zombie

ok.

ok, I have a blue maddmann valve spring, and a belsales medium tension mainspring, and I'M getting about 3 bags to a case of paint when I shoot paint through it, now chrono and set up your gun, then try the spring combo I said above, or bassicly just play with springs, and you should get mad good efficency.
Old 12-16-2001, 03:40 PM #5
PEA

PEA is a founding member
I think for the Madmann spring kit...
Red - heavy
Blue - middle
Green - light
Old 12-16-2001, 05:20 PM #6
AsylumPBJ

AsylumPBJ is a founding member
Pea's got the tension thing right, AKA recommends a yellow/yellow combo with the tornado (in a nelson spring kit yellow is the lightest spring). Also, remember that if you aren't shooting paint you won't get a true shot count, most guns use more gas shooting with no paint.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:49 PM #7
PBaller_12

Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone who replied. What I'm gathering from most of you is that I should just keep experimenting with different springs until I get the results I want. So that's what I'll do...after I shoot paint through it first. Maybe when I get the desired FPS, the spring combo I currently have will prove to be more effecient. So maybe I won't have to do anything. I guess we'll find out...

Again, thanks for the replies.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:20 AM #8
Ri0T
Mad Scientist At Work...

Ri0T is a founding member
A couple of things to add..
1: light springs/high flow valve=efficiency? no. High flow valve/properly matched springs=more efficient? yes.

I'd put in a blue valve and green main (you don't need the red valve in), and see how that works, following step 3 in headcase's post.

2: Shooting with paint and shooting without paint use the same amount of air. This is because the gun is releasing the same amount of air each shot, with or without a ball. With a ball, the velocity is just much higher

3: Check your paint-bore match, as stated already, and your velocity. Did you change ANYTHING else in the gun? If so, let us know.