PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-24-2014, 01:40 AM #1
ThatOneNiceRef

ThatOneNiceRef owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ThatOneNiceRef has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Tales of a Recball Ref

As a ref at my local park, which caters mainly to new and inexperienced players, I've seen some stuff. I ref tourneys, but I always get stuck with renters or recball players (boss thinks I'm good with people, shows what he knows). I don't mind it at all, and I've met some great people and had some great experiences. On the opposite side of that, I've met some terrible people and had some not-so-great/odd/terrifying/wtf? experiences. I give unto thee this thread, all you recball refs and players, to share all of your curious tales. Be they odd, awesome, terrible, or something else entirely, let them flow forth hither!

*Note: You don't have to be a recball ref, or even a ref at all, but try and keep it ref-related. However, if you have a just-plain-(any of the previously described qualities) kind of story that you feel needs telling, well, I won't stop ya'.

Make it rain, people.
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2014, 06:19 PM #2
jdoghubb
AZ Paintball 105+ Degrees

jdoghubb has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
So....

I used to ref at a place called 'THE CHURCH'. It was 2 recball fields, a hyperball field, and a speedball field right behind a huge church, owned and operated by members of that church. Super chill atmosphere, and was competitive. I would usually ref the hyperball or speedball fields because of my background, but for some reason i was put on recball that day.

With the temp being around 101 Fahrenheit, about 25 ROTC marines Navy Seals Spec Ops H.A.L.O paratrooper hardcore pushup bros came to play paintball that day. We suited em up with rentals, told them the rules, gave them a pat on the head, and sent them to the rec ball field line. They insisted they played together, so it ended up being 29 vs 12, the 12 being the most experienced players that would play the field that round. We corral everyone in their start on opposite sides of the field, and im calling out the match start.
3, 2, 1, go and all hell breaks loose.

There were 2 distinct cliques within the space marines team. One was a 8 man SWAT team style snake side run. They were literally in a straight line, all of them stacked up following the front man with a left arm on the right shoulder, all that jazz. and some how none of them got shot off the break.....

Then there were the cadets i assume. All of the immediately hunkered down at the nearest car, boat, or tire pile they could find.... and there they stayed... for the entire match...

Now, ALL of them were yelling and screaming, like you should in paintball. Except that what they were yelling was new to me. They were talking in BRAVO ECHO talk, like NATO speak.

So im just sitting on the snake side, calling people out every 4 seconds because they dont understand the whole idea of a bunker, and they seemed to think that doing a gears of war spin off the wall to open space was the best way to get kills (more like get killed).

So it ended up being 7 v 12, with the experienced bros about to sweep. The SWAT team was stuck in the tire snakes, hunkered down. No air support to call down, looking at me frantic for ideas, one of them spots my spartan shield i was holding. He looks at me, looks at his gun, looks at his friends, then back to me. He then drops the Tippman 98 rental, takes my shield, yells out "LETS GO BOYS! FOR NARNIA!!!". They all run out of the snake, guns blazing behind the stolen circular shield, dreaming of being the hero's for but a moment.

Then they all got lit up by two guys with DM7's and the match was over.

They all had a great time, i had a huge laugh, and now my story is done.

Phoenix Fatalysts #12
Luxe 2.0/CCM T2 Rotor/Revvy 45/4500
AZ Player?
Arizona Paintball And Airsoft B/S/T on Facebook.
jdoghubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:57 PM #3
ThatOneNiceRef

ThatOneNiceRef owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ThatOneNiceRef has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
That's bloody brilliant. Funny how the tables can turn on those kinda dudes, ain't it? Glad to hear everyone wound up having a good time, though. I mean, after safety and (mostly) fair play, isn't that what we want for our players? Guten scheisse, my friend.