Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-22-2014, 02:54 PM #1
attilag14

Getting into Mag-Fed.

So i want to get into playing Mag-fed and milsim and i was wondering what Markers are good for beginners. I was looking at something cheap like the Spyder MRX. Any and all help is greatly appreciated guys.
attilag14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2014, 04:44 PM #2
Loki51

If you would be willing to spend an out 140, you could always look into the Mils I'm M17 CQC. It is a good reliable marker, and it works great. Also, if you want to do pump, you can to the hammer 7. Both are mag fed
Loki51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:41 PM #3
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
The M17 CQC is pretty awesome. Mine got a lot of use at LL7 and it shot great through the whole event. Its easy to maintain, the mags hold more than the MRX mags (9rd I believe), and the Milsig customer service in the US from Doug is absolutely incredible.

But the mags are pretty pricey and at the moment are hard to come by. A box of 4 20rd mags is $100.
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:05 PM #4
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
When getting into magfed, magazine cost is something to consider. The Spyder markers are great (personally I'd step up to the MR5 over the MRX since the MR5 can shoot First Strikes) but they only hold 9 rounds in their magazines and I believe their mags are pretty expensive too.

Last edited by Robotech : 06-05-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:58 PM #5
Reloadro
Phantom Lords

you also have to consider a way to hold the mags.

magfed can be a pricey road to travel. pistols may not be for everyone, but in a way, i feel like the tpx is a great way to enter magfed. especially now that the zetamags are more widespread and everybody seems to be getting rid of the stock 7-round mags for cheap. even new, you can get two for $25. and, unlike the milsig mags, theyre relatively fast to reload even during play on the field. you can also stick them in pockets and cheap belt setups.

playing pistol brings up its own set of pros and cons, but for about $230 you can have a tpx, four mags, and a bunch of 12g's to start with.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:30 PM #6
Chumin8er

Chumin8er has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Chumin8er has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You are going to have to decide which style you want to play to start out.

If you are looking at a main marker, Milsig, Tiberius and Scarab Arms/MaxTact make great products if you want to plop the cash for them. The M17 CQC is a really great marker right out the box, but as mentioned above, the mags are a little pricey (4 for 100$). New Markers run from 300$ to 600$ up to 1000$ for the Sniper Platforms.

Or you can look at the Hammer7s. These are very reliable and for the money its a really good gun. Finding mags in stock can be difficult. 150$ New

Pistols -
Either Tiberius 8.1 or TiPX. Both extremely good markers, very reliable, easy to work on. 225-250$ New for a TiPX or 300$ for the 8.1s.

Anything you get will have a WIDE range of Mod and After Market parts you can use to customize to how you really want your gun to look.

And if you aren't in a hurry, one day Tiberius will release the T15 and we can all stop giving them crap over it.

All of these can be found on here used for more reasonable prices.

As far as mag pouches and all of that, I personally really like FazMags from Milsig, but lots of people just use M4 Molle Pouches. Fazs are 2 for 22$ Retail, sometimes see them on here for sale. And a dump pouch to put your empty mags into, strap those on a NC Star Battle Belt (25$ on Ebay) and you are ready to go!

Hope that helps!
Chumin8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:36 PM #7
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumin8er View Post
You are going to have to decide which style you want to play to start out.

If you are looking at a main marker, Milsig, Tiberius and Scarab Arms/MaxTact make great products if you want to plop the cash for them. The M17 CQC is a really great marker right out the box, but as mentioned above, the mags are a little pricey (4 for 100$). New Markers run from 300$ to 600$ up to 1000$ for the Sniper Platforms.

Or you can look at the Hammer7s. These are very reliable and for the money its a really good gun. Finding mags in stock can be difficult. $150 New
If he's just starting out and on a budget (judging from his original post where he was inquiring about magfed markers that fell under the $300 mark) I'm fairly certain many of those markers may be out of his price range (otherwise I would have suggested the Dye DAM...). I'm thinking determining the style he wants to play is secondary to his budget.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:52 PM #8
cobi wan kenobi

Yeah, magfed is not cheap by any means. Your looking at spending at least $400 just for a marker and mags (and not enough mags at that). You'll probably want a secondary due to low ammo capacity so that just jumped up another $200-300. For me, I've spent so far over $700 on my marker and secondary, though I had bought my secondary and mags about a year prior. Moral: just know what you're getting into.
cobi wan kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:25 AM #9
Henchman

I have a friend selling an mrx with mags if you're interested.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:05 PM #10
SCARcity

SCARcity is playing at Living Legends VII
I have a good deal on a tipx setup. If you are interested

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4154881
SCARcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:13 PM #11
nemnem9

i want to get started into mag fed
nemnem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:15 PM #12
nemnem9

a couple of my friends are in it but they have dye dam and im not spending that much on a gun.
nemnem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:33 PM #13
xXNetCodeXx

nemnem9

When considering magfed play here is a few things to help you decide if it is for you.

1). Budget. Now when I say budget I dont mean just the upfront cost. As that can be mitigated in you soft goods. Example ( with my tgr2 set up I ran using an empire pod pack. But held mags instead of pods.

2) Play style and what it needs. For example I try to conserve paint and make every shot count. So fsr was imo a need.

3) What you want. Example I want a marker that is adaptable to different game types and play styles. So a dual loader system or the option to run a hopper would be a great feature.

4)last but certainly not least is, How serious are you about going magfed? This could be tired into #2 & 3 but I felt it deserves its own listing. Are you wanting what some are calling purist magfed(what folks around here call miltac) basicly this means the original magfed paintball experience tank in stock no remote line ect. Are you going for magfed light as locals here call it. Basically meaning you going for the base experience of changing mags vs refilling a hopper.
Or aee you just dabbling?

these questions will help to determine whether magfed is right for you as well as will give you a good idea of what marker to get.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 PM #14
jlslatton

Excellent suggestions.
jlslatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:07 PM #15
beastmode2112
BANG

beastmode2112 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I want to get into magfed too.
beastmode2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:26 AM #16
marceestrass

Just pre-ordered the T15, does anyone know where to find spare mags?
marceestrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:16 AM #17
scarpediem

Try Narnia, or perhaps Never Never Land.

I'm JK, but I don't think you'll be able to buy or "preorder" mags for sometime. If it's anything like the M17 release, it's gonna be a SLOW rollout for the markers and accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marceestrass View Post
Just pre-ordered the T15, does anyone know where to find spare mags?
scarpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:31 PM #18
Mounts137

Paint

Keep in mind when you are getting into Mag fed paintball you shouldn't be afraid to fork out a bit more for your marker because if you play often you'll save money over time in paint. But that's over a long period of time so if you do play a lot take that into consideration.
Mounts137 is offline   Reply With Quote