Community Focus

Old 05-22-2014, 08:34 AM #1
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
How Do You Handicap Yourself?

Hey, 'Nation.
Do you guys run with handicaps on the field to improve your game? How do you guys handicap yourselves, and what is the most powerful handicap you think?

My handicap is always limited paint. I run a series of AutoCocker pumps with cram-n-jam stick feeds and 10-round tubes. If I want to handicap myself even more, I'll play with my TiPX and only a couple magazines, or even just with 12g cartridges instead of a remote. I always have more fun when I'm with equipment that doesn't match everyone else's firepower.
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2014, 11:25 AM #2
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

I used to handicap myself by using a stock-class phantom but I used it for so long I'm probably better with it than I am with an electro (so long as I'm not shooting through brush.)

Nowadays I switch to my PGP if I'm doing too well, and if that's not enough, a splatmaster, and if that's not enough, TWO splatmasters.

I need to get better at shooting with my left hand so I should start trying games where I only let myself shoot left-handed.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:37 AM #3
kingcatnip

kingcatnip owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kingcatnip owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Pump with stick feed and limited ammo. If playing bush wearing bright paintball clothing.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:39 AM #4
Nahib_Stilgar

I agree, Limited Paint is the way to go!

Most of my markers are either Stock Class or Modified Stock Class. I run a Stick feed on any and all of my markers that have a feedneck...

12g, 3.5oz tanks...

My CCM is my "Heavy Fire Power" marker and I use a full size tank on it only because it fits right and works as a stock...

Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:15 PM #5
Entropyyy
Paintball. That is all.

Entropyyy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Entropyyy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Entropyyy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
sometimes if we get a really good group of players together we limit ourselves to 1 hopper of paint and no pods so if forces us to move around and think about strategy more.
"You put your gloves on, put your mask on, and air up your gun. It doesn't matter if you didnt get the girl, got a bad grade, or lost your job. All that matters is that for the next 6 hours you're in control."

Using a $1500 marker doesn't make you the best player anymore than driving a Mercedes makes you the best driver.
Entropyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:23 PM #6
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

has been a member for 10 years
I would buy a pump, but it would be too much money right now. I just limit myself to electric semi hopper ball (my hopper is the oldschool revy 2 with hard plastic) and fire one shot at a time. If the guy wipes my hit, I use the max ROF on him. It's funny, because the dude thinks the one shot he wipes isn't going to matter having no idea that I have completely compromised his bunker and his entire body is exposed to me.

If it's a girl that wipes my hit, I'll place another hit in the exact same spot she wiped it.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 05-22-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:01 PM #7
fisher
Yes, I'm old.

fisher is a Supporting Member
nearly 40 and two sketchy knees.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:05 AM #8
MaG Adrenal1ne
#PlayforPride

MaG Adrenal1ne is playing at Living Legends VI
MaG Adrenal1ne plays in the APPA D4 division
MaG Adrenal1ne supports DLX Technology
Limited paint and a pump for sure. I dont think you can handicap yourself more unless you try playing with one arm.
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
***ONE OF A KIND G6R***
MaG Adrenal1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:20 PM #9
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
dreadmuppet is BST Trusted
dreadmuppet owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
A couple times recently I was rushed to get on the field and I ended up playing with just a hopper. It was a ton of fun and I think I am going to start doing it more often.

I should probably start playing some games left handed for the simple fact that I am awful left handed and need practice.

I also wear bright pink and purple! I am sure I stick out quite a bit.
IF I DO NOT SHOOT YOU
MY TEAMMATE WILL

eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:06 PM #10
honculada
Pump OT

Annual Supporting Member
honculada plays in the PSP
honculada plays in the APPA beginner division
I play pump

"Sometimes I wear yoga pants just to check out my own ***." ~ Me
honculada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:53 AM #11
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

I played hopper ball electric semi during an ironman game against players who had better markers than me, pods, as well as tournament clothing in the woods. Ironman is when you are the one to decide when to go out; when you run out of paint, air, or decide not to play anymore. Probably the largest ironman I played. I think it was 8 vs 8. I think some players wished they didn't hit me. Still took out 85% of the team, but not by myself. Almost every player had my paint on them. The weird thing is when I went to bunker two people in the same bunker, they split off in two directions running away from me. These guys had the best markers on the field and several pods. What the heck? They had more firepower than me, and then they unstrategically split to two corners of the field. I would post strategies, but that might work against me.

At the end I tried to bunker the last dude who had a high end marker, I know because he lit me up from head to toe during the middle of the game when I submitted someone else on his team, but he just ran out of the bunker trying to increase the distance between him and me. I fired my last 10 rounds into his back 10-20 feet away and pretended to still have paint while my team finished him off. We had him surrounded then, and there was nowhere else to run; so he called himself out. I was shot maybe 20-30 times during the game.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 05-25-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:01 AM #12
Frank_W

Frank_W has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Right now playing with my stock class carter buzzard would be my biggest handicap. Having to rock and cock, and playing without a stock really makes things more difficult. For me shooting an electro is a handicap, since I always play pump. Lol.
I would suggest just working on things you're not good at, rather than limiting paint. Whether that's playing left, trying to one shot people, moving around on the field more, playing with equipment you're not used to, etc.
Frank_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:38 PM #13
Diomedes
Nerd

Diomedes is playing at Living Legends III
As others have said, pump with a stick feed.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My PBN feedback
Diomedes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:32 PM #14
Cdn_Cuda
Balls to You!

Cdn_Cuda owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
If I find the games are too easy, I will switch to pump or play with my Tiberius t8.1. Running a clip loaded pistol is challenging for me, especially keeping track of shots taken and when to switch out the air. Definitely brings a lot more challenge to the game.
Cdn_Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:37 PM #15
woodriverpaintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_W View Post
I would suggest just working on things you're not good at, rather than limiting paint. Whether that's playing left, trying to one shot people, moving around on the field more, playing with equipment you're not used to, etc.
Definitely this. I am constantly switching around my gear, trying new things. I guess it's not so much out of conscious thought to handicap myself, but it's because I get bored getting comfortable with the same equipment.

I also try really hard to coach and strategize with the new players on my team. I try to walk them through basic strategy and then make a game plan. I also push them to get out in front of me and work their angles (not in a speedball sense, but in a basic strategy sense). That makes it fun, and I find it also helps them start to feel comfortable.
woodriverpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:08 PM #16
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
For me, it's not particularly about "handicapping" myself (whether or not I ever improve my game isn't important to me), it's more about equalizing the field. Partially in equipment, but also in style and attitude. Facing players with $100 blowbacks with a $500 pump can sometimes give off a "I'm better than you" vibe, which I'm totally not about. Digging out your own $100 blowback, now that's a more solid "Fear not, I'm one of you, just more experienced" declaration.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:28 PM #17
hungryfatcats
Why not?

hungryfatcats owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
hungryfatcats has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hungryfatcats has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
hungryfatcats supports Empire
I like doing more fun handicaps, like "taping" the gun to my left hand and not be able to remove it for the duration of the game. A physical handicap IMO is more fun and gets your to work on the skills you need to master like being able to rip on the trigger with your left hand. But I do like going out on the field for the lulz sometimes with my slingshot and get as close the the opposing side as possible, I mainly just hide in snake and BAP! them.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:57 PM #18
freedummy
BOOM! Headshot!

Was at a gun-owner event recently, only pulled out the .43cal Eraser all day. Inferior range and limited ammo against everyone and everything, lol. Forced me to run like a banshee off the break, and only netted four hits the entire day. Got mowed down by kids with rental 98s, but was hella fun!
Old 05-29-2014, 08:39 AM #19
woodriverpaintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
Digging out your own $100 blowback, now that's a more solid "Fear not, I'm one of you, just more experienced" declaration.
No can do, I gave that thing to a junior player a long time ago.

What I do dig out is a PMI Trracer I picked up off a friend in '00 that was already five or six years old then.
woodriverpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:23 AM #20
tippmannhunter
Keep Calm and Pump On!

tippmannhunter owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tippmannhunter has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tippmannhunter has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
For me, it's not particularly about "handicapping" myself (whether or not I ever improve my game isn't important to me), it's more about equalizing the field. Partially in equipment, but also in style and attitude. Facing players with $100 blowbacks with a $500 pump can sometimes give off a "I'm better than you" vibe, which I'm totally not about. Digging out your own $100 blowback, now that's a more solid "Fear not, I'm one of you, just more experienced" declaration.
Hmmmmm..... this offended me at first. Which means its true- inspired.......
well played sir, well played...

"Work is the curse of the drinking class" -Oscar Wilde
tippmannhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:51 AM #21
#1P8ntballer
wha da heo

#1P8ntballer is a Supporting Member
#1P8ntballer is a founding member
My go to paintball upper wear is a red old school Redz jeresy. It sticks out like a sore thumb in the woods.
#1P8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote