Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-11-2014, 11:07 PM #1
TonyTheAsian

A-5 can't get FPS to go over 220

I bought a used tippman A-5 off of Craiglist, it came with an m4 buttstock and a flatline.

First thing i did was to open it up and polish the internal and oil everything.
Went to the field today and i only get 220 FPS max ( most of the time it is stuck at 200 fps. )

The gun is not leaking and everything seem to be working fine beside the low FPS.

Do you thing the mainspring is fatigue or is it something else ?

p/s : i think i have the two springs mixed up when i put everything back together. The long and softer one suppose to go in the valve and the harder and shorter one suppose to be use for the cocking handle right ?

Last edited by TonyTheAsian : 05-11-2014 at 11:34 PM.
TonyTheAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2014, 02:38 AM #2
Spydercam

Do you have a manual ? There you can see what comes in which position:

http://www.tippmann.com/pdfs/manuals...ist_091410.pdf

How old is your A5 ? (Cause the diagram is from the newst A5)

Did you screwed on your velocity set screw ? (Should be in max. position if you look without the barrel in front of your A5 inside the bolt you see the screw if not itīs allready set max. fps)

Mmhhh you polished it should be better than stock !!! May if cocking doesnīt go smoth your framescrews are screwed to strong !?!? Stockspring should be good for over 300fps !!!

The Flantlinebarrel has a very big bore so you lose alot fps by using him, you should have min. 260fps !!!

I got a old Antiliquid without internals as Voluminizer which gives you alot more fps if nothing else will work:
Spydercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:23 AM #3
Jay2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheAsian View Post
p/s : i think i have the two springs mixed up when i put everything back together. The long and softer one suppose to go in the valve and the harder and shorter one suppose to be use for the cocking handle right ?
I think you found your problem. Reverse them and you should be good to go.
Jay2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:43 AM #4
7paintball
Service at its best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2014 View Post
I think you found your problem. Reverse them and you should be good to go.
That should fix it for sure.
Lockport, IL 60441
(815) 588-1777

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:24 PM #5
grss429
Gun Tech! & Field owner

grss429 plays in the PSP
grss429 posts videos on PbNation
grss429 plays in the APPA D4 division
grss429 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
grss429 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
If you switch the springs and still no luck, then it's going to be your power valve you need to rebuild it or replace it

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY FACEBOOK PAGE! WEBSITE COMING SOON www.facebook.com/bfinpbt

Owner/home field.
Come play at Nature of the game paintball in hampstead North Carolina (910) 270 2163
grss429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:46 AM #6
TonyTheAsian

So inside the A-5 it come with 2 springs, i'm not sure which one go where.
If i put the softer ( slightly longer spring ) in, it will fire but sound really weak and doesn't recock itself.

If i put the other slightly shorter but a lot stiffer on, I'm only getting around 220 FPS.

I took a look at the power tube and it doesn't have any cracks, no leak whatsoever.
Not sure how old the gun it, i bought it used on craiglist. Serial number is 296035
Old 05-18-2014, 10:00 PM #7
Jay2014

I will assume you unscrewed the forward velocity adjustment all the way out? It is just behind the cyclone on the right side.

You can try the old trick of putting a BB in the spring cup in the receiver end cap to shorten the spring.

If that doesn't help, you might check and make sure you have the newer X7 type valve with 4 grooves. If it is the old style 2 groove valve you should get a new one.

If that still doesn't get it, it is probably a bad cup seal inside the valve. You can order new valve parts from Tippmannparts.com
Jay2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:09 PM #8
TonyTheAsian

The tech at my paintball field took a look at it and this is what he came up with.
I bought a new spring, FPS went up around 5fps, still too low.
He took a closer look at it, after taking the Flatline off and put the stock barrel on, it will get up to 280fps. I will take a look at the grooving inside the valve and see if it is worth buying a new valve. I will probably sell it, too many problems with this one ( the cyclone ratchet also broke which cost me another $10 )
Old 05-20-2014, 08:53 PM #9
TonyTheAsian

bump !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:47 PM #10
Twaltz628
newb for 8 yrs & counting

Annual Supporting Member
Twaltz628 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Twaltz628 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Twaltz628 supports Empire
It's hard to tell what parts previous owners put in a used A5. I've had many issues with using different brand aftermarket parts together, so bad that I went back to stock. Just keep in mind when you replace any parts, replace it with stock unless you do a lot of research. Also, try using more then one tank, the reg on the tank might be messed up somehow. If you're using a remote, take it off while troubleshooting, in fact, screw straight into the tombstone.
Lastly, use oil on your parts, no lube. And make sure the previous owner didn't use tons of lube and gum up the bolt. When in doubt, tear it down to core and reassemble according to the manual which can be found online.
Don't sell it too hastily, once you get it worked out, it will keep working for you.

Last edited by Twaltz628 : 05-21-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Twaltz628 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:34 PM #11
DRAXX
www.muddhillspaintball.tk

There might be valve damage, or a simple need for o-ring swaps. Just rebuild your marker or send it into Tippmann.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:06 PM #12
Frogger9413

Frogger9413 owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Frogger9413 supports Empire
If you are using HPA that could be part of your problem. The 2-channel valves on the older A-5's don,t work well with it. I had the same problem with mine. Nothing i tried stiffer drive springs, rebuilding the stock valve, oiling it, or polishing the internals did anything to increase the velocity. I was finally able to solve it by getting one of the newer 4-channel valves from Tippmann.
Frogger9413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:29 PM #13
jweav151

How far out do you have the velocity screw? If you screw it all the way in then start backing it out your velocity will go up to a certain point then it will start to go back down. Think of it like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose; you obstruct it too much you get nothing, no obstruction it just flows out real gentle without any force, but if you cover just the right amount up you get a good stream.
jweav151 is offline   Reply With Quote