Old 05-29-2014, 02:06 PM #190
Luigi Speed 05
PBN made me a gun whore..

Luigi Speed 05 plays in the PSP
Luigi Speed 05 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Luigi Speed 05 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Luigi Speed 05 plays in the APPA D4 division
Luigi Speed 05 supports DLX Technology
this now is totally off topic but I strongly disagree.

one could make the argument tourney paintball is
in a decline, not "dying", but I think the recreational
side of it seems as strong as I ever seen it. some of
the scenario games attract WAY more playing people
than tournaments and speedball in general. just mho.

I wonder how business going for "Paintball Marketing"

$outh Beach Pimp$ sponsored by: Planet Eclipse, SobePaintball, Deadly Wind, Ninja Paintball & The Ford Report

DaLuxeMob
Luigi Speed 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2014, 02:43 PM #191
dirk.baumann
Farbgruppe Mitte

dirk.baumann owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantSalivaWorm View Post
...and an expensive one. That will always be what keeps paintball out of the "mainstream".
Good point but that doesn't explain why people apparently do not even want to find out about it anymore. I think that the industry failed to realize that they need to try and sell stuff to people that aren't already into paintball. Just look at the ads for gear and events - have you ever seen one that could motivate someone to try paintball that isn't already a player?
dirk.baumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:57 PM #192
RyanR
accuracy by volume

has been a member for 10 years
RyanR is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Would the advertisement for gear being directed more towards the safety aspect rather then fashion help warm people up to the idea of getting "shot"?
I think newbies are greatly intimidated when they're playing with a rental wearing cover-alls and facing some aggtastic looking power ranger.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:56 PM #193
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
dreadmuppet is BST Trusted
dreadmuppet is playing at Living Legends VII
dreadmuppet owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
dreadmuppet has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Would the advertisement for gear being directed more towards the safety aspect rather then fashion help warm people up to the idea of getting "shot"?
I think newbies are greatly intimidated when they're playing with a rental wearing cover-alls and facing some aggtastic looking power ranger.
Good point.

Also as I have started wearing purple and pink I love the aggtastic looking power ranger!
REC BALL AND SCENARIO TEAM
IF I DO NOT SHOOT YOU
MY TEAMMATE WILL
eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:33 PM #194
7paintball
Service at its best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidenking View Post
So wait, the best way to build the sport isn't to destroy it? Someone alert GoG!
I don't think they care.
Lockport, IL 60441
(815) 588-1777

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:03 PM #195
sithpb
last call for sin

Annual Supporting Member
sithpb donated to help Peyton Trent
sithpb supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk.baumann

If one looks at the Google trends search-term statistics for 2004 until present one can deduct that paintball is actually in its death throes. It is really impressive (not in a good way) - the industry had a great and fun product to sell and somehow managed to mess up so bad that almost no one wants to even look up what paintball is.
google searches might be down in number because more people know about paintball and about sites like pbn therefore using google less. im sure bing searches are up from 04.

Originally Posted by msonic:
Pistol whipped with an ego
Ego frame bends, whip unsuccessful.

Originally Posted by cookie123 :
Maybe I Like It In The ***! Sexist www.aggressivesports.net
sithpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:45 PM #196
dirk.baumann
Farbgruppe Mitte

I believe most of us of can agree that the marketing tactics used by most field owners and gear manufacturers are ... paleo. People get blasted every day by so many advanced marketing efforts for various products and services that website banners and the occasional TV commercial just do not cut it anymore. Go big or go home.

Last edited by dirk.baumann : 06-01-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:46 PM #197
CrusaderPB
Field, Pro Shop & Repairs

Annual Supporting Member
CrusaderPB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CrusaderPB supports Bob Gurnsey
CrusaderPB supports our troops
CrusaderPB has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CrusaderPB has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
CrusaderPB supports Empire
No, Empire did not compensate fields for their Rookie Day of Play. In fact, the customers I had bring it in (even though we weren't on the plan) came with their own paint too. Hell, it was so easy to get passes, all of my regulars had one....and what are we to tell a mom and 4 kids who had no idea that this program wasn't accepted at this field? To cough up cash when they thought they'd have a free day?

And none of those players would come back. So, again, that is one of the worst programs I've seen.

I briefly discussed this PB Marketing crap with my sales rep, a very friendly and insightful conversation. And I truly do understand their 'goal' of growing paintball. But, it still feels like that was an after-thought benefit of their program, not the INTENTION of it.

I did ask a few times - if you wanted to do something like this, why not bring it to your dealers and offer them free drop shipping? I'd immediately switch to really pushing the gun of a company that offers us that. It can't be more expensive than the bad press and the commission they give out.

I had a huge long rant about the topic, some of it isn't relevant here, so I'll post my relevant section.

I supported GoG on the comeback. And as soon as we built the room for it, we picked GoG up as a dealer as you know. I was always wary of the 'rumors' that circulate about GoG owners, business practices/ethics, etc, but I never personally had a reason to not support the company. Truly hassle-free lifetime warranty - no one in this industry has such a painless process. And the fact you guys still service impulses/shockers etc is a HUGE plus that no one else in this industry does. The margins on the products at the base dealer level are on-par or even larger than others. The retail pricing was competitive, and we did sell a good deal of GoG guns in store. When it came to sales, the hardest thing about GoG guns was the plastic-looking body compared to something like the Proto Rail...until this program started however.

I do not think this program will help you in anyway other than to sell some guns in the short term. The PTI classes are a good idea, I'm always very supportive of Bob and his efforts on that front. More education is always good. So how about I fire off some other ways you could have achieved your goals of 'increasing awareness'? Why not just produce a good modern PTI training video and host it online? Brand it GoG, make it available for regular players to learn how they can positively endorse paintball, and boom, positive press. I'd put that video all over my social media and website. It would be required viewing of my store associates, and it would play on the shop iPad while customers are browsing the place.

Why not film a sales guy teaching some pointers to dealers on how to increase their salesmanship abilities and send it to your dealers? I bet a lot of store and field owners just put the gun up on the wall with a pricetag, without knowing all the differences that a customer looks for while shopping. Have a sales guy do a mock pitch highlighting the features of your equipment, email it out with the subject "Free Sales Training to Help You Sell More". Give some basic sales pointers, like having a clean-shaven, well-spoken store associate and having an easy-to-read pricetag. Highlight the unique features of your products, so that the store associate can mimic it when a real customer comes into their store. For example, the eXTCy was priced the same as the Rail. It was easy for me to persuade people to buy the eTXCy - On / Off asa, longer better quality barrel, the near in-fallible reg, lifetime warranty.

Heck, if you wanted to use a program like Paintball Marketing, why not look for a decentralized fulfilment process such as Shopatron? Other vendors do use those programs, and even though we don't have the resources to take advantage, we appreciate those options are available to us. And we WILL take advantage as we continue to grow (yes grow - we've had nothing but growth since we opened. So no, we don't feel as if 'paintball is dying') But now, with Paintball Marketing, I can't help but feel as if GoG is being selfish in their promotion of one marker only. I mean, I know why - it is your program so of course it'll be your gun. And I don't have the problem with that. And again I ask... instead of offering a commission to reps, why not offer no-fee dropship to dealers?

My problem is that dealers weren't notified. My problem isn't even that I'm 'afraid' to compete with these 'reps' for sales. Your company wants to sell more guns? Great - more sales may, or may not, translate to more customers in the industry, and yeah maybe over the year a dozen or so people will get into the sport because of your program.

It's just my opinion that this program was done in a very shady manner, true to the SP reputation. I don't need the gun sales - the profit of one sale pales in comparison to the profit made from a lifetime customer.

I firmly believe the 'cost' of paintball isn't keeping this industry from growing, it isn't the lack of TV exposure (I remember watching the All-American indoor tournament broadcasts. Damn I miss AAPP). Too many of the current fields and stores are very poorly run, without adequate expertise - that is why the industry is in 'trouble'. That is what caused the industry crash - how many field owners have screwed over manufacturers over the years? Shut down their fields, claimed bankruptcy? Over-extending their credit or going into debt?. The thing hurting this industry is the lack of consistency in fields and in player experiences. The lack of parents being supportive of their kids sport is hurting the industry. We need 'paintball moms and dads' pumping money into the vendors, buying equipment and paint. Fields need to make their money off parties, entry fees and delivering an experience. Not chasing the quick-buck of a discount sale. Not many of my competitors will turn down the opportunity to make a sale, even if it is below MAP - and that discount passed onto the player represents lost revenue for the industry. That is what needs to change.

Manufacturers need to stop competing with their dealers, and instead develop tools / solutions / materials to help promote their growth. In turn, GOOD dealers will repay those tools with inventory orders, putting GoG on display, and through positive praise.
Now a Planet Eclipse Service Center

Like us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter! Subscribe to our Thread!
CrusaderPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 PM #198
soccerguy243
Air Force Paintball #19

soccerguy243 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerguy243 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerguy243 is an NCPA player
soccerguy243 plays in the APPA D5 division
I guarantee "cost" is the #1 factor dragging paintball growth. I advertised to a squadron of military (94 people) officers and enlisted that I was going paintballing and was inviting everyone to come out. I posted the prices to everyone could be educated. Only 1 reply and that was "maybe after next pay day".
The possible alternatives to one person's play can include a whole family doing something else.

I don't see this program really helping grow the actual number of paintball players.

"If you're not shooting, moving or talking, you shouldn't be on the field."-Tyler Michaud
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE Pilot
soccerguy243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:56 PM #199
dirk.baumann
Farbgruppe Mitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusaderPB View Post
No, Empire did not compensate fields [....]

I take my hat off to you sir. Well said (written).
Old 06-02-2014, 06:04 PM #200
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerguy243 View Post
I guarantee "cost" is the #1 factor dragging paintball growth. I advertised to a squadron of military (94 people) officers and enlisted that I was going paintballing and was inviting everyone to come out. I posted the prices to everyone could be educated. Only 1 reply and that was "maybe after next pay day".
The possible alternatives to one person's play can include a whole family doing something else.

I don't see this program really helping grow the actual number of paintball players.
On the other hand, we get lots of military groups where the cost is totally paid for by the military and yet still many don't bother showing up, even though it's free. It happens very often with corporate groups as well. All free and they still don't come.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:03 AM #201
Yankee Paintball
www.YankeePaintball.com

Well it's been a week, I guess we're not getting any more answers.
Eric
Owner-Manager Yankee Paintball
Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE. Distributor for Valken, KEE and GI Sportz.
203-906-9621 or 9622
Yankee Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:37 PM #202
crudmoe

crudmoe owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
crudmoe owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
so does this work?
Old 06-22-2014, 08:28 PM #203
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by crudmoe View Post
so does this work?
It's direct sales, so the answer is "it doesn't"
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:42 PM #204
poorballer900
Axe + CASH!!???

poorballer900 owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
poorballer900 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I have commented before but no one seems to get through their thick heads that paintball is not going to be mainstream ever....And everyone forgets this is the same company yes... Smart Parts that ****ed the industry 7 years back. And now they want to grow the sport of PB? top lel
poorballer900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:19 AM #205
ArchAngelIon
Based and Positive

ArchAngelIon plays in the PSP
ArchAngelIon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ArchAngelIon posts videos on PbNation
ArchAngelIon is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by crudmoe View Post
so does this work?
He's probably pondering if anyone has received a check from GOG yet.

Has this generated income for anyone?

The only thing I find valuable, about your species, is the noises you make when you die.

Looking for Classic video games, will trade dollars: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...7#post82009777
ArchAngelIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:05 AM #206
poorballer900
Axe + CASH!!???

poorballer900 owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
poorballer900 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
People received 25 bucks in GoG gift cards and a sticker book
poorballer900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:40 PM #207
cye604
Marksman - Indigo Squad

cye604 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cye604 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cye604 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cye604 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatkid10 View Post
If I was to join, would I be able to hire more people under me who could also hire people? Y'know...expand the network.
"The Birth Of A Pyramid Scheme"
cye604 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.