Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-05-2014, 12:19 PM #1
bowcycle

Cheap Kaos Trigger Mod

There has been a bit of discussion on how to mod the double triggers on the Kaos in a way that isn't more effort than it's worth. I have a proposition:

Here is the frame with nothing done other than adding a piece of furniture felt pad to limit the rear travel. It actually works quite well for that.

Next I wanted to look at the side-to-side slop.
There's a lot of room in this frame. Not caring if the trigger was slightly off center, I drove out the hinge pin, shaved down a nylon washer, and placed it in beside the trigger. It's the small piece of white you see in this picture. This didn't eliminate the slop altogether, but does give a much firmer feel.

So now what about the forward travel?
You already know that the sear catch requires a lot of room, so we don't have a lot to play with.
I noticed that there is about 2/16" of space between the body of the Kaos and the top of the trigger frame. Also, the nose of the trigger sticks up into this space. So an easy way to limit forward travel is to stick something in there that will keep the nose down by being pinched between the body of the marker and the trigger frame.
I opted for a piece of plastic. I started a little thick and just shaved it down until it fit. I scuffed it and the top of the frame at 2 points so I could apply a little super glue to help hold everything snug during the installation and voila.

I know it's not elegant, but it works and the trigger feels surprisingly firm and crisp for such little effort.

Here's the final result.

I don't know how much play I actually took out of the thing, but it's something.

Last edited by bowcycle : 05-05-2014 at 12:26 PM.
bowcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2014, 01:52 PM #2
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Nice post...
iPaintSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:55 PM #3
DRAXX
www.muddhillspaintball.tk

WOrd!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:57 PM #4
bowcycle

Update

I originally tried gluing the plastic piece to the trigger frame to limit forward travel. This has proved to not be the best way to go.

I have now epoxy'd the plastic into the bottom of the body about 1/4" from the front of the slot. This does 2 important things:
1- it makes it much easier to install and you don't have to worry about knocking it off if you remove the frame and
2- at times, the trigger wouldn't catch when firing quickly. With the plastic against the frame, I couldn't adjust the travel without removing, shaving, and re-gluing the plastic piece. With it glued to the body, I can shave it in place in extremely small increments.

So, for anyone wishing to try this mod, instead of gluing the piece of plastic to the frame, glue it to the the body where the nose of the trigger comes up into the gap.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:41 PM #5
impulseTECH
^^this guy^^

impulseTECH has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Looks good. But it seems like you are trying to reinvent the wheel here.

Couldn't you have just removed the trigger. Drilled and tapped a hole for a long set screw with a small amount of blue loctite to hold it?

I know I'm no Einstein but that would have been the route I would have gone. Maybe for newer azodin guns haha

Paintball for life.
impulseTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:26 PM #6
bowcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulseTECH View Post
Couldn't you have just removed the trigger. Drilled and tapped a hole for a long set screw with a small amount of blue loctite to hold it?
You can do all sorts of drilling if you have the time and materials (which I do). However, not everyone has the stuff to do that right and the risk of messing stuff up is high.

Plus, I don't see anywhere you could place a set screw on this frame to limit forward travel.

So what I've done is limit slop, forward travel, and rear travel in ways that are non-permanent, have zero risk of messing up your marker or its resale value, and are available to absolutely everyone.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:58 PM #7
iPaintSlinger
Front Line

Also the forward travel is almost the full length before the striker resets (literally has 1cm thereafter, maybe less). With that being said you really can't save forward travel. The screw thing would be nice but it does require risk that some can't afford. I would do this mod before the screw. "nice reinvention of the wheel" bro @bowcycle

iPS
iPaintSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:28 PM #8
impulseTECH
^^this guy^^

impulseTECH has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I wasn't trying to put him down. It just seemed simpler to me. But I guess not

Paintball for life.
impulseTECH is offline   Reply With Quote