PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-14-2001, 01:07 AM #22
Hi9HoPjUnKiE
Banned

has been a member for 10 years
What does lowering the cocking pressure do anyways???? I just got a shocktech front kit and when I was adjusting the pnues reg the pressure got higher. Do you just adjust the front reg to the poit where the gun stops burping and cocks rite???
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2001, 08:50 AM #23
dirtraven

dirtraven is playing at Living Legends VII
dirtraven owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
dirtraven supports Team VICIOUS
yup

Old 12-14-2001, 12:37 PM #24
Cockerdawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Hi9HoPjUnKiE
What does lowering the cocking pressure do anyways???? I just got a shocktech front kit and when I was adjusting the pnues reg the pressure got higher. Do you just adjust the front reg to the poit where the gun stops burping and cocks rite???
Lowering the cocking pressure will cause it to pinch the ball instead of chopping it. If you have ever used a shocker or other low pressure electro, you'll notice that when it is about to chop the bolt touches the ball goes back to let the ball all the way in then shoots. This is much how an autococker works when you pinch. It touches the ball then just stays there, you pull the trigger again to let the ball drop in, then you pull it again to make it shoot. Even though it sounds like a lot of pulling it really doesn't take that longer, and it's much more pleasant than having a chopped ball.
Old 12-15-2001, 03:18 PM #25
Hi9HoPjUnKiE
Banned

Well how do you get a cocker to recock at a low pressure like 35psi, just like the freeflows??? Do I need to get some stuff for the gun to do that??? If so tell me please. Thanx!!
Old 12-15-2001, 03:49 PM #26
Kung Fu Sumo

Hi9HoPjUnKiE- not sure if you asked before or listed what was on your gun....but to make your gun capable of lowering the COCKING pressure you need to have :

1. Heavier Hammer for use of lighter springs(#2)- Belsales and Free Flow Hammers or something similar...but I'd suggest one of these 2

2. Lighter main spring- when you have the heavier hammer you need less force to drive the hammer into the valve i.e. a lighter spring is needed- Maddman, Freeflow, Taso, KAPP, and many other companies have spring kits which will give these options.

3. Low friction bolt helps - lower friction bolt eases the tension on the ram- Shocktech Supafly, AKA Lightning, and DeZigns bolts are good options here..

4. Low Pressure ram- A good low pressure ram will operate on lower pressures- STO rams are used on most of the Freeflows

WarpSpeed- Cocking Pressure and Operating pressures are 2 different things tied together by the components....... my opinion on the matter is I want a Low Cocking pressure.....which will bring the need of a higher flow valve which will drop operating pressure.........Low cocking pressure lowers chopped balls, Low Operating pressure causes poorer efficiency, anyhow just my 2 cents hope I didn't confuse ya any more than you were before....
Old 12-15-2001, 03:50 PM #27
nervosa
#1 Droogie

Question

I am a little confused here. I thought that this gentleman wanted to lower the cycling pressure on his gun. Lowering the operating pressure to the valve should lower all pressure to the gun, therefore, if you change the valve to (like an AKA or MacDev Red valve, Rat III), then the gun will cycle altogether at a lower pressure.

Team Abbeys Paintball

My Feedback
Old 12-15-2001, 03:52 PM #28
nervosa
#1 Droogie

and if I may add...

If he uses a higher flowing bolt, then this will allow him to lower the operating pressure to his gun. I don't know... maybe I ought to just shut up! Out.

Team Abbeys Paintball

My Feedback
Old 12-16-2001, 04:12 AM #29
pfn

pfn is a Supporting Member
Lowering your operating pressure will not directly cause your cocking pressure to go down. Mods you may do to lower your operating pressure may help to decrease your cocking pressure, but many mods will not change a thing (wrt cocking pressure), e.g. bolt, valve, etc.

Cycling pressure and cocking pressure are used interchangeably.
Old 12-16-2001, 04:14 AM #30
pfn

Lowering your operating pressure will not directly cause your cocking pressure to go down. Mods you may do to lower your operating pressure may help to decrease your cocking pressure, but many mods will not change a thing (wrt cocking pressure), e.g. bolt, valve, etc.
Old 12-16-2001, 08:59 PM #31
Cockerdawg

Quote:
I am a little confused here. I thought that this gentleman wanted to lower the cycling pressure on his gun. Lowering the operating pressure to the valve should lower all pressure to the gun, therefore, if you change the valve to (like an AKA or MacDev Red valve, Rat III), then the gun will cycle altogether at a lower pressure.
When people say operating pressure, they mean the amount of air that comes through the valve and bolt to make the ball come out. the cocking pressure is the amount of air that is required to operate the ram. The air that goes through the valve is totally seperate from the air that goes into the front pneumatics.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:11 PM #32
pballboi

how do you measure cocking pressure??
and operating pressure..
Old 12-17-2001, 01:03 AM #33
sirtacopants

Opperating pressure is the amount of air your inline reg lets into the gun. Cocking pressure is the amount of air your front reg (rock, jackhammer, FGP, etc.) sends to the 4-way, and then ram(which drives the bolt). A lower cocking pressure means that it takes less pressure to move the bolt back and forth. This means that if the bolt hits a ball which has not loaded completely into your gun, it will hopefully pinch the ball instead of chopping it. A lower opperating pressure means that your gun uses your air more efficiently. So basically, when you look for lower opperating pressure, you want higher flow (hence: "free flow"). Simply put, more air gets to your marker, meaning more low pressure air instead of less high pressure air. This meens you get more velocity from less pressure. Some times this creates greater shots per tank (AKA cockers), other times it means drastically less shots per tank if the marker is not designed efficiently (shockers, matrixes).
hope this helps..

peace
Old 12-17-2001, 04:20 AM #34
sirtacopants

Here's what you need for both LP and low cocking pressure...

-super high flow valve. More flow= more air.
-very heavy hammer and extremely light main springs.
-high flow bolt.
-large diameter 3-way and ram account for smooth, buttery action while keeping pressures as low as they get.
-consistant front reg, keeping those LP pressures flowin
-tight bore barell. Some people (AKA especially) believe this is one of the tricks to LP. With good fitting paint this allows for maximum eficiency.
Lastly, super smooth boring and honing. Free Flow cockers are a good example of this. This makes cycling super smooth and effortless. Keep in mind that all Free flows are made from standard WGP bodies, so any cocker has the potential of a free flow...
Old 12-17-2001, 05:45 AM #35
pfn

Quote:
Originally posted by sirtacopants

A lower opperating pressure means that your gun uses your air more efficiently. So basically, when you look for lower opperating pressure, you want higher flow (hence: "free flow"). Simply put, more air gets to your marker, meaning more low pressure air instead of less high pressure air. This meens you get more velocity from less pressure. Some times this creates greater shots per tank (AKA cockers), other times it means drastically less shots per tank if the marker is not designed efficiently (shockers, matrixes).
hope this helps..
You're contradicting yourself. Low pressure does not equate to greater efficiency. Ideally, you would use the same amount of air in both situations, a low volume of high pressure air vs. a high volume of low pressure air.

However, air metering becomes more precise as you have larger volumes of air to work with, which could potentially lead to greater efficiency.