Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-10-2014, 02:29 PM #1
ReverendBubba
Custom Airsmith

ReverendBubba owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
ReverendBubba has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
G5 dwell

Yesterday I was gun shopping to replace the G4 I sold a friend and stumbled across a purple G5, so it followed me home. Today I decided to tune the dwell and set the velocity and discovered something annoying. The minimum dwell is 10ms (not the 12ms as stated in the manual). 10ms is too high, I'm guessing 8-9 is where I need to be. Dangerous Power, what were you thinking when you made the minimum 10ms?

Other than that small irritation I'm loving the gun. Everything I liked about my G4, plus the lack of a macroline and the leaks that come with them, a better lever on the ASA (they added a rubber bumper where it hits the ASA body, which was the cause of the only scratch on my G4), and a really nice purple color, unlike the pale purple on the G4.

Magnetic Dice Fill Nipple Covers
Spire Cheat Sheet Stickers

"Custom" takes more than an allen wrench.
ReverendBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2014, 03:04 PM #2
CA_Tectonics

With the stock setup, 8 or 9 ms is too low for the G5, G4, Spec-R. It may work, but typically with DP spools, running that low of a noid dwell with a stock bolt will just lead to wide inconsistency over the chrono. You should be fine at 12 or even 10 when broken in.
– 7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
– APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
– Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:30 PM #3
ReverendBubba
Custom Airsmith

With a total of 70 Reballs and a pod of paint (170 rnds, these Virtue pods are awesome), after cleaning out the DP-40 and replacing it with Sleek, 10ms is way more than it needs. I don't know what's up with that, maybe I just got a particularly good one, but there was no change in velocity going from 12 to 10, but a slight drop in volume. 240 rounds also took 1500 pounds out of my 45 inch tank. As long as I can get a hopper and 3 pods out of a 45 inch tank filled to 4k I'm happy, really. I don't care in the slightest about having to fill after every game. It's part of life when building an ultralight gun.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 PM #4
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
im not sure why you are thinking 8-9ms would be better off if you have not tried it. Lowering dwell is only linear to a point.

Reballs are not the best way to go about it either. They are very small and a different weight/ material etc.

The G5 is not much different than the G4 or G3 in operation. From testing over the years, anything lower than 11-12 on the stock bolt usually does not yield nice gains. 10ms sounds nice but anything lower most likely wont be what you expect. Im not sure what your consistency preference is but maybe its not as anal as mine.

I think APE is going to come out with a G5 board, that board combined with the new Bolt coming for the G5 will give you an impressive performance increase. Until then, I would not worry so much about the 10ms limitation. It seems silly at first but keep in mind the G5 is marketed toward new players who do not want to spend a lot of money and still get good performance. User error is the main source of problems for DP guns, letting people set the dwell too low is not something they need on their hands.

Ive seen it many times in the past with other brands of guns. Kids set the dwell too low without knowing it and wonder why they cant crono over 200fps even with an insane input pressure. Im not saying you are a "newb" or uneducated, im just saying the G5 is mainly used by new players who dont know better. DP did good by allowing the dwell to be adjusted to a point.
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:10 PM #5
ReverendBubba
Custom Airsmith

I've tuned enough guns over the years to get a feel for it. My G4 runs very consistently on 9ms, if I remember right, with 450 pounds input. Also, I shot more paint than Reballs, but I have a Reball sized Freak sleeve coming that will make that irrelevant. I don't want anything aftermarket on this gun other than the Deadlywind barrel I use on everything, no real need for anything else. I like how the gun shoots stock, and now that I've switched to a Ninja SL there's no real need for insane efficiency. If I can get 3 pods and a hopper I'm good. Any more than that is a bonus. My Etek should be here Monday, so if I need to shoot more than 700 rounds I'll grab it.