Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-10-2014, 02:18 PM #106
Iamamartianchurch

Thanks Mark, it's always nice to know that at least one person finds value in the stupid amounts of energy I can put into posts here.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2014, 04:22 PM #107
ihatethatlamp
Covered in paint

ihatethatlamp has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
There are some stupid people on this
ihatethatlamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:33 PM #108
sucka T.

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatethatlamp View Post
There are some stupid people on this
Awesome contribution.

ThreadSavers®

http://www.ohnoes.org/

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=891102
sucka T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:52 PM #109
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Mikey View Post
I havn't read of Daniel Dennet's work, what is your opinion of his books? He is often grouped with the forementioned authors but he is still even critical of their books.
Dennett isn't great but he is light-years ahead of the other three. I feel like he is sometimes unfairly grouped in with the pop-atheist hacks. Just take him with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Tsa - mind if I hit you up for that list also?
Of course. I'll try to get around to it by the end of the night but no promises. Working on a big paper about Wittgenstein.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:03 PM #110
Iamamartianchurch

You should send me your paper since you piqued my interest in Wigglesteen, Lichtenstein, whatever. Email me the .doc or whatever. I love me a good essay, especially since some people's prose can be intolerable at book lengths, like freaking Heidegger.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 04-10-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:09 PM #111
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

has been a member for 10 years
PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Do you have an issue with people who call themselves atheists? Not the people themselves but the title?
Someone please correct me if I'm out of line... but I think most atheists are tired of the baggage and branding that comes with the word "atheist."
Old 04-10-2014, 11:07 PM #112
Iamamartianchurch

Everyone wants to be a special and unique little flower.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:06 AM #113
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
It seems I have some things to learn, specifically in philosophy.
It may be the philosophy major in me, but I really think this should be focused on more heavily in higher education.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 AM #114
Savage Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOldTimer View Post
Someone please correct me if I'm out of line... but I think most atheists are tired of the baggage and branding that comes with the word "atheist."
I think most have been for some time now. It's probably why some still dont use the word. I imagine some Christians feel the same about being called a Christian or some who used to use the word religious but now use spiritual. I was reading up on some philosopical arguements and found a few words that are put in front of athiest such as wide, narrow, positive and negative to help describe the type of arugement they most identify with.
Savage Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:04 AM #115
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule View Post
It may be the philosophy major in me, but I really think this should be focused on more heavily in higher education.
Preserving and trasmitting the humanities was always the university's greatest virtue.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:55 PM #116
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Sorry. It's all coming eventually.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:33 PM #117
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Preserving and trasmitting the humanities was always the university's greatest virtue.
when I decided to throw a terry eagleton quote in my signature, i almost went with

“The humanities should constitute the core of any university worth the name.”
― Terry Eagleton

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:02 AM #118
snoopay700

Two things I saw in this thread that i wanted to respond to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwothree123 View Post
You dont think there is a possibility that there is a god? I understand agnostic, but atheist is just stubborn and closed minded. You know there is a chance god exists.
Agnosticism answers a different question than atheism or theism. If someone asks if you believe there is a god, and you say you're agnostic, you're answering the wrong question.

Simply put, you are answering whether you think that you can know if there is a god. If the answer to that is no, you are agnostic. You can be agnostic and atheist or agnostic and theist. I've met both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule View Post
If God is not the source of our ethical obligations, what is?
Math. One person can bring home much more food than he will eat. If you kill that person, they can no longer bring home food. You are hurting the tribe. Wronging others will always hurt the tribe, and thus it doesn't add up to wrong the others in your tribe. If someone is wronging others, it does not make sense to keep them in your tribe. This is the base of morality. This is also why genocide, an example you were so fond of, is never justified among us. Religious morals are just an extension of this.

Who is DLX Audrey? Find out!:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2766709

Il n'y a point de sots si incommodes que ceux qui ont de l'esprit.
snoopay700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:58 AM #119
Savage Mikey

Snoopay700-- Not sure exactly but some of the posts in here were just people messing with me...fellow atheists and others. As for your responces though, the first is spot on. The second i agree with but expect an arguement on that one
Old 06-17-2014, 02:43 PM #120
wavesport001

If Harris, Hitchens and Dawkins are hacks, are William Lane Craig, D'Sousa, and Comfort their analogs on the theistic side?

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:48 PM #121
Savage Mikey

It's kinda comparing apples to oranges. Harris and Dawkins are scientists that are also atheists and wrote books about why they dont believe in deities. Some take issue with their arguements as being philosophically unsound but I dont think they care much what philosophy majors think. I have seen Craig debate and D'Spousa...they both are good at debating as a skill but thats about all the good i could say about them.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:58 PM #122
Umami
AFK IRL

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
It's kinda comparing apples to oranges. Harris and Dawkins are scientists that are also atheists and wrote books about why they dont believe in deities. Some take issue with their arguements as being philosophically unsound but I dont think they care much what philosophy majors think.
Which is unfortunate, because they often sound truly ridiculous.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:14 PM #123
Savage Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Which is unfortunate, because they often sound truly ridiculous.
Yeah...God delusion is NOT a book id recommend, lol. End of Faith was a good though in other ways, its not just about why someone would believe or not but about how religions can cause problems for society. i see it as more of an arguement for secular government then, 'why someone should be an atheist'.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:34 PM #124
Matt - St Thomas(MN)

Even movies have entered the social sphere lately like God is not Dead, Heaven is for Real, and the Son of God.
Matt - St Thomas(MN) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 PM #125
wavesport001

That's nothing new Matt. And you forgot Noah's ark!

I might be wrong about this, but I think Hitchens and Harris argue mostly against a personable god who intervenes in human affairs, which should be much easier to argue against. Hitchens doesn't seem to have a problem with Deists, but rather Theists in the debates I've seen.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's one thing to say there's no god, but another to say there's no personal god.

And Mikey, yeah when I've heard the Christian Apologists debate I've noticed that they use alot of rhetoric and little substance.

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster

Last edited by wavesport001 : 06-17-2014 at 08:45 PM.
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:09 AM #126
snoopay700

Quote:
Snoopay700-- Not sure exactly but some of the posts in here were just people messing with me...fellow atheists and others. As for your responces though, the first is spot on. The second i agree with but expect an arguement on that one
Those two seemed to be serious ones, and both seemed to be misunderstanding the topics at hand.

Who is DLX Audrey? Find out!:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2766709

Il n'y a point de sots si incommodes que ceux qui ont de l'esprit.
snoopay700 is offline   Reply With Quote