PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-31-2014, 03:17 PM #1
lespylaz

ego 08 lacking the efficiency been hearing about

Hi all,
So I've been using an ego 08 for the past three weeks to play some rec ball and speed ball at my local field here in Colorado.

The gun has been amazing, accurate, easy to maintain, and beautiful to shoot. However, I have been noticing that the gun is not as air efficient as I have heard. 4 pods and Chrono'd at 285fps I have been checking my tank pressure to be about 1500PSI after filling at 3k.

From what I have been reading, the ego 08 is supposed to be one of the most efficient egos ever made. This doesn't seem efficient to me considering the loss of so much air for only 4 pods. The gun does not leak and I have already replaced the QEV's diaphragms when I received the marker.

Anyone have any ideas on what I might be needing to maintain or check? I have not replaced O-rings yet due to the lack of leaks and superb performance.

I am using a ninja carbon fiber 77/4500 tank and the stock barrel for the gun.
Could it be the pressure sensor on my tank?
I flash fill the tank, could that be the problem?

I have not done a full efficiency test on the gun, haven't had the money for extra paint.

If anyone has any input it would be appreciated! tks
lespylaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2014, 05:07 PM #2
theVicious1

That does seem a little low for a 77ci tank.

First, flash filling the tank gives you a false reading. You need to fill and let the tank cool down before looking at the psi, when it cools the pressure in the tank drops. You may have filled to 3000, but it could have dropped to 2500psi after cooling. That's a big difference.

Second, tank gauges usually aren't very accurate because theyre displaying such a large pressure range on a very small dial. It could be off by a few hundred psi.

Lastly, the stock barrel for the ego8 is huge. Overboring like that can waste a bit of air. Underboring will be more efficient.

Also, what is your dwell set at? How many turns in is your lpr or is it flush? If it is set to be smooth or has the low pressure valve guide in it that would further lower the shots per tank in exchange for a smoother shot.

Last edited by theVicious1 : 03-31-2014 at 05:09 PM.
theVicious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:57 PM #3
vxmaniac

vxmaniac has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
just to add theoretically a 77/45 (full cold fill) should get about 2000 paintballs out of it... in moderate conditions (tuned to perfection etc might gain a pod or 2)

2000/140 (rounds in a pod) = 14.2/3 (how many 1500 go into 4500) = 4.7

so your really not far off the efficiency you should be getting....

checking and/or replacing hpr/lpr piston orings, rammer orings and bolt orings.... as well as dwell tuning and lpr tuning may get you an extra pod per 1500.... but really id be happy with 4 pods off 1500 to be honest
vxmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote