Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-27-2014, 09:58 PM #1
Ragencajun

Custom tippman 98

Before I start I have to say this will be my first custom gun so please forgive my naiveness.

I am wanting to build a custom gun using the new mag wells from tippman. I'm going for a realistic look and have ran into my first problem and need advice. I am wanting to switch the feeding and mag well from left side to the left side and moving charging handle to right side of the gun.

Any advice is deeply appreciated
Ragencajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM #2
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
What tools do you have?
Lover of All Things Paintball
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:18 PM #3
Ragencajun

I have a full machine shop at my disposal but have just about every tool for mechanics at my home
Old 03-28-2014, 06:48 PM #4
Buwaro
Northern Indiana PB

Depending on your abilities to machine and the amount of money/work you want to put into this, there are a lot of options for changing things on a Tippmann.
Buwaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:16 PM #5
cpt_crunch

Well if you have a full shop. You can do anything. So you basically want it mirrored huh? Switch the cocking handle over just mill a new slot on the other side. Then depending on your model of 98 you can either flip the handle around or just drill a whole for a new handle on the other side of the hammer.

The breach is harder. You have to reproduce that hole on the other side. Then you have to plug the old hole. I wouldnt weld unto that metal so id bend a little piece of sheet metal over the hole and screw it on. Then id fill the inside with JB weld for a nice even surface.

After that youll have to design a new way to hold the feedneck or magwell
Old 03-28-2014, 10:09 PM #6
Ragencajun

I haven't been able to look at the magwells put out from tippman yet but plan is to make a mg34 complete with custom drum mag. Thank you for advice on reproducing feeding hole. I knew I would plug it but wasn't sure how to go about that without risking damaging the paint
Old 03-29-2014, 10:48 AM #7
Buwaro
Northern Indiana PB

JB Weld is great for filling, but make sure you do it in small layers, because it will have bubbles in it if you lay it on too thick. Then after it has fully cured it is very strong, sandable and will look great once you paint it. Everything else is up to your preferences. You can seriously do anything you want to with a 98.
Buwaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:06 PM #8
cpt_crunch

As far as attaching the magazine, it looks like to make the 98 really look like the mg38 you'll have to bend some metal over the top of it to get that nice flat top. I'd attach the magazine to that somehow instead of trying to attach it the 98 directly
Old 03-31-2014, 01:42 AM #9
Ragencajun

My current plan is to use the new magazine adapter being sold to load the drum into the gun. It's going to be a true mag fed lmg. I'm butchering some old hoppers and guns for the drum motor. As far as stability using a thin piece of metal that serves as top cover (to give flat top) it will also double on the side to support neck of drum.