Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 AM #1
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
Exclamation Go Pro Hero 3, Contour Roam, Replay R7! How do they Compare?

Ever wanted to see a video with all three of the big players in action cams in ONE video? Where YOU can compare the quality/field of view/color/audio in one video?

Here you go!

My buddy Derek was using his GoPro Hero 3 for his footage.

Jason was using his Replay R7 which has a narrower field of view (125 field of view I think).

And Henry and I were using the original Contour Roam in 720HD resolution which is 170 wide angle viewing in that setting.

This is a good comparison for seeing exactly what they look like when filming paintball first person, in the hardest conditions to film (in the snow with bright sunlight!).

The gopro and contours were mounted in the middle of the helmets on top, and the replay was on the right side of his mask.

I think the center mount is best for fps footage.

I had to turn up the audio quite a bit on the Replay R7 as it the mic level was very quiet on the footage.

I did NO image correction on any of the raw video streams, so you are seeing it exactly as it shows raw.

When considering action cams, you have to remember, that they don't show far away at all, so more than 30 feet you can't see what you are shooting at. I am using my custom made ZoomCam with my system that shows the hits at long range. And youtube harms the quality of your video files, as you can see when you compare the exact same final edit file on youtube, vs vimeo which is a higher quality video site.

Here is the link to the vimeo version of the same final edit file, so you can see what youtube compression does to high quality video.

My recommendation for helmet cam is the Contour Roam. The slide switch will save you from hitting the wrong button and missing games. The quality at 720 is just fine for youtube, (render your content in 1080hd when editing). I use Sony Movie Studio 12 personally for editing (got it for $26).

So if you want to start your own youtube channel, you can get a roam and editing gear for under $300! Of course you will need a decent computer to handle the HD files... I use a quad core laptop with 8 gigs of ram and a 500 gig hard drive. Plus I have a 1 tb external drive that I store my video on. Just make sure you back everything up as video is hard on hard drives, and will end up crashing it faster than normal use! I make DVD's of all my raw footage, and all my final edits, and label them clearly for future projects! I also keep a "hits" collection for compilations when I find cool stuff in my footage!

Oh, and if you want to see the Go Pro Hero 3 BLACK edition, you can watch this video, where I use my Contour Roam, and the TerryCam is the GoPro Hero 3 black mounted on the barrel of his gun...

His footage starts at 4:45

Trails of Doom Stickers on Ebay!

Last edited by FreeEnterprise : 03-13-2014 at 09:23 AM.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement