Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Which loader is better?
Dye Rotor 83 54.61%
Virtue Spire with Spring Ramp 69 45.39%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2014, 11:16 PM #1
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

omgitiszmd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
omgitiszmd supports Empire
Dye Rotor vs. Virtue Spire with Spring Ramp

Which of these loaders will be the best?
I am not worried about the price - I am looking for durability, reliability, maintenance, profile, and overall feeding.

WTB: .684 Dust Black Lurker Eigenbarrel AC Threaded

Last edited by omgitiszmd : 03-09-2014 at 11:20 PM.
omgitiszmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2014, 11:52 PM #2
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Please leave a comment if you vote and just let me know why you think one loader is better than the other.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:10 AM #3
oberonson
ASIAN ARMY

oberonson supports Team VICIOUS
oberonson plays in the APPA beginner division
oberonson has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
oberonson supports Empire
Well the rotor has withstood the test of time since 2008. It's proven to be extremely durable. The spire is quite new and has some rather nice features however. Just watch Mike ******'s reviews on the rotor and spire. Decide for yourself!

"Originally posted by HustlePaintball-com: This thread can now end... Everyone has a boner now.."

"Never believe anything you read on the internet" -Abraham Lincoln

ASIAN ARMY
oberonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:50 AM #4
imped4now
BTFU

has been a member for 10 years
I've never owned a Rotor myself but have seen and handled plenty with the people I play with. They are pretty reliable but the jamming issue isn't a myth. I've also started to see fewer and fewer Rotors and more Spires in their place at my local field. Everyone I've talked to loves the Spire and has no plans of going back.

I use a Spire with spring ramp. Love it. Light, simple, durable, and it flat out works.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:15 PM #5
Mr. Stealthy

It sort of depends in my opinion. The Rotor is the more consistent loader at higher rates of fire and the Spire is less prone to jamming. I would probably choose a Rotor for semi-auto play and the Spire for capped ramping below 15 bps. The Spire keeps up fine too, it just doesn't seem to maintain higher rates of fire as consistently as the Rotor. The Rotor also does not jam often (mine hasn't jammed in over a year), it is just by design, more prone to it than the Spire (which will almost never jam).

Another consideration is capacity. If a player is wanting a higher capacity loader, the Spire 260 has the lowest profile to my knowledge and is also a little bit lighter than the high capacity rotor.

Some other pros and Cons to Consider:

Rotor:
+Better battery life
+Simple on off design
-Smaller mouth for loading
-Slightly more prone to jams depending on paint

Spire:
+Quick Lid changing with optional crown speed feed
+Wide mouth for loading
-Spinning issues if not set up properly
-Spire "Fingers" can wear over time.

Prioritize accordingly, they are both be awesome performing loaders that can standup to any level of play. Both are extremely durable and low maintenance. One could argue that the spire is slightly quicker to maintain, but it is honestly so easy with either that we would just be arguing semantics. Both are very low profile with the Spire edging out slightly but again, the difference is pretty small.

Last edited by Mr. Stealthy : 03-10-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:36 PM #6
Shehadeh

My rotor is durable and can take a beating but they always jam. Every time I go up to the field I hear someone complain about their rotor. My spire on the other hand is awesome and I have no problems with it. It has a lower profile then the rotor and never jams. And also the lid for it is huge!!! You can fit a pod in there.
Shehadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:30 PM #7
mooreshawnm

mooreshawnm has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mooreshawnm has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
If you are shooting Walmart paint through a rotor you are going to be using the unjam lever. If you are shooting quality paint you are GTG. Held a Spire 260 for the first time this weekend. Very small and light for it's capacity...but did not feel as sturdy as a rotor. Look at the Spirte threads below. Appears to still be quite a few teething issues.
mooreshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:12 PM #8
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

I'm not going to being shooting any more than 15 BPS and I may be using crappy paint (the paint won't be horrible but it's going to be the cheaper field paint)

Old 03-10-2014, 06:22 PM #9
team_xile
Midwest Whiteout

team_xile plays in the APPA D4 division
team_xile is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
team_xile is Legendary
team_xile supports DLX Technology
team_xile supports Empire
I own and use both and I will use my rotor any day over my spire. It's not that the spire is bad, but I have never had any issues with my rotor. I've never had any real jamming issues. I like the consistency, and durability.

I've had my spire jam on me. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. The spire feels about as rugged as the rotor, just shorter and longer, so that's cool.

I like the speed feed on the spire. Large opening makes reloading a breeze. The spire speed feeds are a tad expensive for the virtue ones, but it's well worth it.

All in all it's up to you. Everybody has their preference, but they will both serve you well.
team_xile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:28 PM #10
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team_xile View Post
I own and use both and I will use my rotor any day over my spire. It's not that the spire is bad, but I have never had any issues with my rotor. I've never had any real jamming issues. I like the consistency, and durability.

I've had my spire jam on me. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. The spire feels about as rugged as the rotor, just shorter and longer, so that's cool.

I like the speed feed on the spire. Large opening makes reloading a breeze. The spire speed feeds are a tad expensive for the virtue ones, but it's well worth it.

All in all it's up to you. Everybody has their preference, but they will both serve you well.
I was thinking that I will use my Rotor and if it gives me jamming problems then I'll switch over to the Spire.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 PM #11
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitiszmd View Post
I'm not going to being shooting any more than 15 BPS and I may be using crappy paint (the paint won't be horrible but it's going to be the cheaper field paint)
None of my business but the paint is the most important factor. I would set aside money for better paint before anything else.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:08 PM #12
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stealthy View Post
None of my business but the paint is the most important factor. I would set aside money for better paint before anything else.
True, I guess it's not horrible paint but I'm for sure not going to be shooting something like Evil on a rec day - mostly midgrade stuff.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:00 AM #13
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
True, I guess it's not horrible paint but I'm for sure not going to be shooting something like Evil on a rec day - mostly midgrade stuff.
Good to go, just wanted to make sure you weren't buying expensive gear and then shooting super crappy paint (which is a mistake a ton of people make). The Rotor will handle any decent quality paint just fine. Just don't be shooting misshapen paint and you will be fine.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:06 PM #14
Nomahsib

Annual Supporting Member
Nomahsib is an NCPA player
Nomahsib is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Nomahsib is Boss
Nomahsib supports DLX Technology
I own both and prefer my Spire. It's lighter, has a larger mouth opening, holds more, and doesn't jam.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 AM #15
Okin45

Okin45 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Okin45 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm weighing these options myself. My hopper just pooped out on me mid game...prety funny seeing plasstic fly everywhere....
Okin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:23 PM #16
Cracker with a gun
- Logan -

Annual Supporting Member
Cracker with a gun supports Cereal Killerz 2
Cracker with a gun plays in the APPA beginner division
Cracker with a gun is Legendary
Cracker with a gun supports DLX Technology
Quote:
It sort of depends in my opinion. The Rotor is the more consistent loader at higher rates of fire and the Spire is less prone to jamming. I would probably choose a Rotor for semi-auto play and the Spire for capped ramping below 15 bps. The Spire keeps up fine too, it just doesn't seem to maintain higher rates of fire as consistently as the Rotor. The Rotor also does not jam often (mine hasn't jammed in over a year), it is just by design, more prone to it than the Spire (which will almost never jam).

Another consideration is capacity. If a player is wanting a higher capacity loader, the Spire 260 has the lowest profile to my knowledge and is also a little bit lighter than the high capacity rotor.

Prioritize accordingly, they are both be awesome performing loaders that can standup to any level of play. Both are extremely durable and low maintenance. One could argue that the spire is slightly quicker to maintain, but it is honestly so easy with either that we would just be arguing semantics. Both are very low profile with the Spire edging out slightly but again, the difference is pretty small.
I would complete agree with the statements made above. I've owned gen 1-3 rotors and a spire. I've sold all of my ROTORS because for some reason they hate me and jam, but everybody else loves them. I've had zero issues with the spire.

Last edited by Cracker with a gun : 04-12-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Cracker with a gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:04 PM #17
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker with a gun View Post
I would complete agree with the statements made above. I've owned gen 1-3 rotors and a spire. I've sold all of my rotors? because for some reason they hate me and jam, but everybody else loves them. I've had zero issues with the spire.
Did you mean that? ^

Old 03-13-2014, 07:04 PM #18
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomahsib View Post
I own both and prefer my Spire. It's lighter, has a larger mouth opening, holds more, and doesn't jam.
Does it have any disadvantages vs. the Rotor?

Old 03-14-2014, 09:14 AM #19
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Does it have any disadvantages vs. the Rotor?
It doesn't feed quite as consistent at higher rates of fire, has lower battery life, the paddles can wear and the motor will spin fairly random if you do not have the board set up right. Those are the main disadvantages it has over the Rotor.

Rotor disadvantages are: heavier, slightly more prone to jamming, has a lower capacity and a smaller mouth for loading. I will also say that the LED on the Spire is a little easier to see in bright light than the Rotors is.

Now decide what you want and choose. There isn't a right answer. Some people will value the advantages of the Rotor and some the Spire. A lot also depends on what type of paintball you are playing with each. This thread will literally go on forever with opinions back and forth.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:22 PM #20
Rob.Phifer

Rob.Phifer owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Owned 2 spires and a rotor. Prefer the rotor. (It does have a Seed RTR kit however)
Rob.Phifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:09 PM #21
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Quote:
It doesn't feed quite as consistent at higher rates of fire, has lower battery life, the paddles can wear and the motor will spin fairly random if you do not have the board set up right. Those are the main disadvantages it has over the Rotor.

Rotor disadvantages are: heavier, slightly more prone to jamming, has a lower capacity and a smaller mouth for loading. I will also say that the LED on the Spire is a little easier to see in bright light than the Rotors is.

Now decide what you want and choose. There isn't a right answer. Some people will value the advantages of the Rotor and some the Spire. A lot also depends on what type of paintball you are playing with each. This thread will literally go on forever with opinions back and forth.
Alright thanks man, I'll keep that in mind.