Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-07-2014, 06:23 PM #1
gilzow

G3 air leak assistance

Screw in the tank, flip the RAPS and I can hear a small leak somewhere near the feedneck. I've read through the Dangerous Power G3/SE G3 guide as well as the Ultimate Threshold Maintenance/Breakdown Thread! and those threads would indicate that there is a problem with the bolt engine (orings or lube). However, the marker did this with the original bolt engine, and it continued to do it after I installed a TechT L7 HE bolt engine.

Is it possible I need to clean/lube the solenoid? Is there a way to tell if it's the solenoid before I disassemble everything?
gilzow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2014, 11:05 PM #2
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilzow View Post
Screw in the tank, flip the RAPS and I can hear a small leak somewhere near the feedneck. I've read through the Dangerous Power G3/SE G3 guide as well as the Ultimate Threshold Maintenance/Breakdown Thread! and those threads would indicate that there is a problem with the bolt engine (orings or lube). However, the marker did this with the original bolt engine, and it continued to do it after I installed a TechT L7 HE bolt engine.

Is it possible I need to clean/lube the solenoid? Is there a way to tell if it's the solenoid before I disassemble everything?
Yes, just separate the grip frame from the marker body. Be sure to unplug the eye wires and solenoid first. Leave the regulator/macroline/tank attached. Once you have the frame off, air up the marker. If it is the solenoid, it will be MUCH easier to identify exactly where the leak is.

Since the leak is with both the TechT and stock bolts, That rules out a couple places and points toward either the solenoid or the o-ring inside the body of the marker - located right behind the feedneck opening.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:31 AM #3
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
leak near the feedneck/ in the breach is usually the breach oring or the backcap stem oring (the one the bolt slides over)

Those are the only two that can cause a leak in the feedneck.

IF the noid is leaking it will be from the grip frame OR the bolt will puff. Sometimes it will even cause the bolt to stick forward.
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:59 AM #4
xmc1146
Mount Vernon, Wa

xmc1146 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
xmc1146 is for the Gunfight
xmc1146 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
You can follow my Sig for troubleshooting. But MAKE SURE the solenoid wires are dry before you install it to the board.
xmc1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:51 PM #5
gilzow

@CA_Tectonics, what you suggested was what I was thinking I needed to do, so I'm glad to know I was on the right track.

I did as you said and I couldn't hear any leaks at the solenoid. I removed the oring inside the marker right behind the feedneck. It did not appear damaged, but since I have a 10X rebuild kit, I went ahead and replaced it with a new oring.

side note - unfortunately, the numbers on the rebuild kit bags from oringmonkey don't match up to either the oring monkey sizing chart, or your (CA_tectonics) G3 sizing chart. I took the old oring, and the best match appeared to be -017 (17.17 X 1.78), and that appears to match the G3 schematic. I'm hoping that is the correct oring. Interestingly, the ID numbers on the oringmonkey bag are #82 / #6 / #2 (three different orings in one bag).

I lightly lubed the oring (gunsav) and slid it back into place with my finger. I wiped down the TechT bolt engine and lightly lubed it again and placed it back into the marker. Aired it back up and no more leak.

@xmc1146, luckily I didn'g have to go so far as your thread, but that's definitely some good info so I've bookmarked it in case I come up with other leaks.

Thanks again everyone!
gilzow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:18 PM #6
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
the 017 should work. The new guns (G4, Spec R, G5) all specify a 017 oring in that location. 017 is also cheaper than the goofy orings that DP uses.
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:49 PM #7
CA_Tectonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilzow View Post
@CA_Tectonics, what you suggested was what I was thinking I needed to do, so I'm glad to know I was on the right track.

I did as you said and I couldn't hear any leaks at the solenoid. I removed the oring inside the marker right behind the feedneck. It did not appear damaged, but since I have a 10X rebuild kit, I went ahead and replaced it with a new oring.

side note - unfortunately, the numbers on the rebuild kit bags from oringmonkey don't match up to either the oring monkey sizing chart, or your (CA_tectonics) G3 sizing chart. I took the old oring, and the best match appeared to be -017 (17.17 X 1.78), and that appears to match the G3 schematic. I'm hoping that is the correct oring. Interestingly, the ID numbers on the oringmonkey bag are #82 / #6 / #2 (three different orings in one bag).

I lightly lubed the oring (gunsav) and slid it back into place with my finger. I wiped down the TechT bolt engine and lightly lubed it again and placed it back into the marker. Aired it back up and no more leak.

@xmc1146, luckily I didn'g have to go so far as your thread, but that's definitely some good info so I've bookmarked it in case I come up with other leaks.

Thanks again everyone!
Good deal. Glad you got that leak fixed .
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote