Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 02-01-2004, 09:51 PM #1
Civilian Of
D to the A to the *****ES

has been a member for 10 years
Budwiser aired paintball commercial

Thoughts?

Last edited by Civilian Of : 02-01-2004 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:53 PM #2
JaredG
.:Team Defect:.

I thought it was stupid.

Click here to visit our forums

blue 32* vert reg imp w/ a bunch o' ND stuff, and rockin' the Hammerhead Barrel
Old 02-01-2004, 09:53 PM #3
2kcocker

no masks, bad
Old 02-01-2004, 09:53 PM #4
clintoris
owner of alias below

That was the gayest **** ever. The least they could've done was buy full masks and barrel plugs...
Old 02-01-2004, 09:53 PM #5
[NA]WARLORD

[NA]WARLORD is a founding member
[NA]WARLORD has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
[NA]WARLORD supports Empire
Thought it was kind of funny, but I dont drink Bud and now, because of this, and after we emailed bud not to, I wont support their company anyway.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:55 PM #6
sensei

sensei is a founding member
this was bad. we have a hard enough time proving how safe the sport of paintball is and budweiser airs on national television the most unsafest display of paintball i've ever seen.

we need to write a letter to bud light. or say something to somebody about this. who do we contact?

grim and sensei
Old 02-01-2004, 09:57 PM #7
Civilian Of

Ya.. that was before it happend, this is for now since it happend...
Old 02-01-2004, 10:03 PM #8
Civilian Of

Quote:
Originally posted by sensei
grim and sensei
Grim u suck
Old 02-01-2004, 10:11 PM #9
ncstriker28

saw it

You could watch it at the budwiser website.
some players had paintball goggles. but they where not on.
and the ref had what look like glasses.
Just make sure u tell everyone that paintball is safe, like i do
it will not make a big diference but at least it something.
the comercial was kind of funny
Old 02-01-2004, 10:11 PM #10
Team Grim
Capt. / Coach Team Grim

tweak you got a problem??
Old 02-01-2004, 10:16 PM #11
Civilian Of

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Grim
tweak you got a problem??
always
Old 02-01-2004, 10:25 PM #12
Chrome Bullets
Banned

this hasent made the sport look bad...

u all r stupid...this was fake...a seen on TV...it was totally safe...what do u think ppl that dont play paintball will say ? they wont say anything really cuz this was probally ther first time seeing paintballl....
Old 02-01-2004, 10:30 PM #13
Team Grim
Capt. / Coach Team Grim

do i need to stop in there on my way to LA and come knocking on your door?
Old 02-01-2004, 10:40 PM #14
Team Grim
Capt. / Coach Team Grim

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrome Bullets
this hasent made the sport look bad...

u all r stupid...this was fake...a seen on TV...it was totally safe...what do u think ppl that dont play paintball will say ? they wont say anything really cuz this was probally ther first time seeing paintballl....
Budwiser and you make paintball look bad...when you grow up you will realize how people view things....your attitude will change
Old 02-01-2004, 10:45 PM #15
nick1shot
1Shot Superstar

nick1shot supports Bob Gurnsey
A link to the ad and my thoughts

A link to the ad

Before you start complaining go see the ad. You can find it here: www.budweiser.com and click on "see our ads".
Then start the complaining.
BUT, before you do, please consider this . . . this is not a documentary, it's not intended to be a real life depiction of paintball. It's just a commercial. And a very funny one at that.
Speaking as a video producer (I'm the owner of 1 Shot Productions) if I was to make a commercial, or movie, or anything other than a documentary, I would do the same thing. You can't show facial expressions and the like when a person is wearing a mask. When we make commercials like this,we 'go over the top' as the AB guy put it. Look at the Cadillac commercials. Is anyone complaining that the car really can't outrun sound? Or the one with the monkey on their back? Is that realistic?
Just take the ad for what it is. A chance for people to see paintball.
And if the guys at AB get flooded with angry letters form angry paintballers, they may never do another ad involving paintball again. And we don't want that, do we?

bob vest
1 shot productions

>>>>Gloss Black BL Vice<<<<--<<<<RT Automag • Red UL Body • LVL X • Wood Panel Grips>>>>
>>>>Dust Red DM3 • Tadao Musashi • Critical Trigger • Kila Detents • Image Bolt<<<<

Old 02-01-2004, 11:08 PM #16
sensei

sensei is a founding member
'sup, bob?

only problem is that people will think it's ok to shoot live markers with insufficient eye protection... or at least, think it's ok to shoot live markers with the improper use of sufficient eye protection.

the hbo show, six feet under, had paintball incorporated in an episode. most of the time they had their masks on and in one scene they had a ref yell at the characters to put their masks down. i thought that was clever.

still, paintball in movies and television may not sit right with us (as paintball players) or the mainstream (as movie-goers/couch potatoes) because the actors may not be able to show facial expressions (for the audience) and in order to do this masks have to be raised (which is considered as a safety breech for us).

ultimately, i think filming it strictly as a sport is the way to go where masks are never lifted in a game, except maybe only afterwards during interview time with barrel bags on. we don't see facial expressions in hockey and football... just numbers, names, a hockey puck and/or a footbal.

my two cents.

Last edited by sensei : 02-01-2004 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:12 PM #17
Team Grim
Capt. / Coach Team Grim

Re: A link to the ad and my thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by nick1shot
A link to the ad

Before you start complaining go see the ad. You can find it here: www.budweiser.com and click on "see our ads".
Then start the complaining.
BUT, before you do, please consider this . . . this is not a documentary, it's not intended to be a real life depiction of paintball. It's just a commercial. And a very funny one at that.
Speaking as a video producer (I'm the owner of 1 Shot Productions) if I was to make a commercial, or movie, or anything other than a documentary, I would do the same thing. You can't show facial expressions and the like when a person is wearing a mask. When we make commercials like this,we 'go over the top' as the AB guy put it. Look at the Cadillac commercials. Is anyone complaining that the car really can't outrun sound? Or the one with the monkey on their back? Is that realistic?
Just take the ad for what it is. A chance for people to see paintball.
And if the guys at AB get flooded with angry letters form angry paintballers, they may never do another ad involving paintball again. And we don't want that, do we?

bob vest
1 shot productions
The way the public views paintball is very skeptical. The majority of the people dont know what paintball even is. It would have been better to show what paintball really is as opposed to a bunch of idiots shooting at a beer drinking ref. Paintall is not known enough to make it look like we are a bunch of idiots. A commercial depicting how the sport is really played would have helped the popularity. Why make it harder on the people who promote paintball in a positive way?
You cant compare a Cadillac to piantball. Caddys have been around for a long time. When paintball is accepted as a safe sport and is as popular as a Cadillac, a stupid commertial will not be as detrimental as it is in the early stages of devlopment.
I've been playing PB for over 20 years and have 2 eyes because I wear a mask when I am around "loaded" PB guns.

Last edited by Team Grim : 02-01-2004 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:13 PM #18
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Yeah, I think we need to look at this in perspective.

Advertising is advertising. There's advertising that has pro football players tackling people at the office. There's commercials with people doing all sorts of dangerous things with automobiles.

We need to accept a certain standard of common sense. It's not 10 years ago when nobody knew what paintball was and we needed to be especially careful about it.

The ad, actually, does a lot of very good things for the sport. Aside from the fact that it was broadcast during the superbowl, the #1 TV time of the year, the actual sequence of the ad is pretty god. We have a group of seemingly normal guys who are apparently "newbs" (they don't know the rules, read: Paintball is played for fun, not by dedicated militia types), they're being instructed on how to play by a guy in a big orange shirt that says "ref" on it, so they're obviously at a commercial location, which is then reinforced when the ref goes to get a refreshment from the stand.

Now, if you believe that people are going to do what happens in the ad, then they're going to go to a paintball field, and then any misconceptions they might have about goggle use will be quickly corrected.

Even if not, common sense should prevail: It's obvious to anyone with the slightest bit of common sense that you never REALLY just start shooting the ref in a safety briefing, but because Bud Light is *JUST SO GOOD* it might happen.

The ad is targeted at the 20 million people who've played paintball at least once.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
Old 02-01-2004, 11:22 PM #19
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Re: Re: A link to the ad and my thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Grim
The way the public views paintball is very skeptical. The majority of the people dont know what paintball even is.
The thing is, that's not really true anymore. The way public views paintball now is totally different than even 5 years ago. I deal with "members of the public" all of the time, usually specifically "members of the public on the school board" or some such. The vast majority of the public knows what paintball is. Yes, there are some people out there who think it's violent and not appropriate for kids and all that, but they are not any different than the people who think video games are evil.

Five years ago, if you tried to start a paintball club at a college, more often than not you'd have to jump through quite a few hoops to pull it off. Now, 99% of the time starting a paintball club at a college isn't any harder than starting a chess club. High school is still a little farther behind, but that's often just as much financing as it is any hostility towards paintball, and even if it is paintball hostility related, it's not so much that the person you're dealing with is worried about it. They're just worried that a less-informed parent might complain about it.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
Old 02-02-2004, 01:13 AM #20
Jmechy
DPB Team and Blazer Owner

quicker link:
http://budweiser.com/commercials_04/...ia.html?c_id=7
Old 02-02-2004, 01:42 AM #21
kloudpb

Funny Sh**

I thought it was pretty hilarious and cool. Hopefully nobody really acts like that when a ref is explaining the rules- but hell, any publicity is good publicity. If one beer guzzling idiot goes out and buys a gun after seeing that commercial, at least it will have advanced our sport that much.
Anyway, I drink the stuff like water- Bud Rules.