PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 02-24-2014, 11:00 AM #22
Aviator89

Aviator89 plays in the APPA beginner division
If i remember correctly, Stinger had shorter turf, that also wasnt very thick in terms of the ammount of "grass blades", and it made for some serious over sliding with paint on it. But i honestly dont think I ever saw it cleaned, except maybe once for world cup practice's.
The longer thicker turf grass may be better to simulate real grass. But yes, cleanliness has the most control over what u should choose and clean/dry turf will mitigate over-sliding for the most part...

WTB Marq 6/7/vice rubber grips with window for Virtue OLED boards.
Aviator89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2014, 11:12 AM #23
Aviator89

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert devillers View Post
Track records for indoor paintball in Wisconsin are tough, do your due diligence with this and offer more than just paintball. Brew city seems to be doing ok but places like Stinger, Paintball Daves, and Cmp had trouble with paintball lasting and in highly populated areas. CMP is killing it with Laser Tag these days
Cost of paint/entry and management had a lot to do with it. Stinger was way over priced for the horrible paint they had, and too many players for a single field and only one ref. (also remember significant amounts of cheating going on) I know I hated driving 2.5 hours just to get 4-5 games in over a full day of waiting. They also had mini golf and an arcade but where they had stinger near Kewaskum isnt exactly a high populated area either. If you are going to offer other than paintball like mini golf, arcades etc, its gotta be really close or in a populated area. Not 20 miles outside of it. Nobody is gunna drive to the outskirts of town for mini golf when Vintense is right there on the belt line. How long did that golf dome in Fitchburg last again?
Madison is missing go carts BTW.
Have good paint, fair prices, have some cool events like Brew City/apoc/ and Seige (3 man tournys, clinics, team practice's) run it professional and it will last. May not make a million bucks or be as successful as CPX or SC Village, but hey we will like it.
My only thing id worried about is in the summer, alot of people may prefer outdoor fields like Apoc, seige and so on that offer more fun fields like castles and such. plus those kinds of fields really thrive on rentals/recball/woodsball players. IF this is speedball only, it may be hard to get recballers and first timers out. Maybe have some sort of scenario field for paintball and airsoft. Airsoft would be a gold mine. 15-25$ BYO(bb's) and have at it. Hardly even a ref needed.
But in the winter you will do just fine Id say.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:11 PM #24
Stunna02
*MW*

Stunna02 plays in the PSP
Stunna02 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Stunna02 plays in the APPA D4 division
Stunna02 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hedge View Post
I'm thinking you should just make the indoor field in Green Bay. Too many liberals in Madison
Stunna02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:52 PM #25
MyJTRox
CE

has been a member for 10 years
MyJTRox plays in the PSP
MyJTRox is an NCPA National Champion
MyJTRox plays in the APPA D3 division
MyJTRox supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator89 View Post
If i remember correctly, Stinger had shorter turf, that also wasnt very thick in terms of the ammount of "grass blades", and it made for some serious over sliding with paint on it. But i honestly dont think I ever saw it cleaned, except maybe once for world cup practice's.
The longer thicker turf grass may be better to simulate real grass. But yes, cleanliness has the most control over what u should choose and clean/dry turf will mitigate over-sliding for the most part...
In its "prime" they ran the floor cleaner weekly. It was much better than the current indoors available within 3-4 hours.

My Feedback (Before new system)
University of Wisconsin -Whitewater Paintball Team Alum
2009 NCPA Class AA National Champions
APPA
MyJTRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:40 PM #26
Counterfeit_Syn5304
-1uP-

Annual Supporting Member
Counterfeit_Syn5304 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Counterfeit_Syn5304 supports Team VICIOUS
Counterfeit_Syn5304 supports Pev's Paintball
Counterfeit_Syn5304 is Legendary
Counterfeit_Syn5304 supports Empire
Exclamation My experience.

With turf you might wanna find out the stuff that Atomix had. They had some of the best turf ever. Stinger had something very similar and thats why so many people liked the turf. With turf you want to make sure that 1. it gets cleaned weekly! (Don't try to skimp on cleaning) A good filtration under the turf can help with this but washing down the turf. 2. Rake the field of paint after every day's play (Keeping as much paint off the turf will keep it cleaner longer)

Stinger had a pretty good setup with their turf. If you are interested in how they did their cleaning you might wanna find Biggie and ask him what was his cleaning schedule and routine.

Paint is something that everyone needs to understand. You will loose all profit from your field and kill your business if you try to have the cheapest field paint possible. It just doesn't work out. Paint is what keeps your business alive. Most of your money might be in inventory in the proshop which you won't be selling a new gun every day.

Reffing is something that you need at least 2-4 guys if possible at all times per field. Don't hire some beginner. Hire someone experienced. If other people wanna ref they suggest to them to take a reffing clinic. the PSP referee course is great for this. I've had my fair share or some little kid not really know what was happening because he was drooling over some other person's gear.

Another important factor with an indoor field is lighting. If it is dimly lit it will not work well. If its sunny outside vs. a dimly lit indoor field, players will usually play outside. A brightly lit indoor will allow refs to see hits better, and everyone playing usually have a better experience since they can actually see their opponents.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:32 PM #27
stalker2005
~The Finisher~

stalker2005 plays in the PSP
stalker2005 is playing at Living Legends VII
stalker2005 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfeit_Syn5304 View Post
With turf you might wanna find out the stuff that Atomix had. They had some of the best turf ever. Stinger had something very similar and thats why so many people liked the turf. With turf you want to make sure that 1. it gets cleaned weekly! (Don't try to skimp on cleaning) A good filtration under the turf can help with this but washing down the turf. 2. Rake the field of paint after every day's play (Keeping as much paint off the turf will keep it cleaner longer)

Stinger had a pretty good setup with their turf. If you are interested in how they did their cleaning you might wanna find Biggie and ask him what was his cleaning schedule and routine.

Paint is something that everyone needs to understand. You will loose all profit from your field and kill your business if you try to have the cheapest field paint possible. It just doesn't work out. Paint is what keeps your business alive. Most of your money might be in inventory in the proshop which you won't be selling a new gun every day.

Reffing is something that you need at least 2-4 guys if possible at all times per field. Don't hire some beginner. Hire someone experienced. If other people wanna ref they suggest to them to take a reffing clinic. the PSP referee course is great for this. I've had my fair share or some little kid not really know what was happening because he was drooling over some other person's gear.

Another important factor with an indoor field is lighting. If it is dimly lit it will not work well. If its sunny outside vs. a dimly lit indoor field, players will usually play outside. A brightly lit indoor will allow refs to see hits better, and everyone playing usually have a better experience since they can actually see their opponents.

Pretty much nailed it with every point here. I'm fine with paying 60-70 a case for paint as long as it shoots out of my gun and doesnt become a blender like the current indoor fields.

Climate Control is one thing I think people have missed. Make sure you can keep your paint cool. Don't be like current practices where paint sits in the shop that gets down to 10 degrees then gets heated back up the next day. Same goes for places in the summer. 90 degrees down to 50-60 at night.

Lastly, listen to what players have to say. After all they are the ones that are going to keep you in business. To many times alot of ppl suggest the same thing and nothing ever happens with it. Which ends up driving them to play somewhere else
stalker2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:44 PM #28
Aviator89

yeah, im fine with paying 60-70 as well. But stinger sold rps stinger paint mostly. That paint wasnt worth the half MSRP let alone 60-70... But premium or something that at least shoots straight, yeah 60 is no problem

Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 AM #29
Barbara_Walters
I want AR15 mags, PM me

Barbara_Walters plays in the PSP
Barbara_Walters supports Cereal Killerz 2
Barbara_Walters helped look for balloons
Barbara_Walters is an NCPA player
Barbara_Walters has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
I'm thinking you should just make the indoor field in Green Bay. Too many liberals in Madison
I'll second that motion, and move to carry it.
Barbara_Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:22 AM #30
Skipdogg

From what I have heard, washing down a indoor turf field is not the way to go....
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:09 PM #31
jeep 98 custom
D-Y-N-A-S-T--Y!

jeep 98 custom owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jeep 98 custom plays in the APPA D4 division
jeep 98 custom has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jeep 98 custom has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Does anyone know what exactly they used for turf at Dedicated PB's indoor field? I remember it being something like dirt, and it was the best thing I've ever played on indoors.
jeep 98 custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:30 PM #32
Counterfeit_Syn5304
-1uP-

Annual Supporting Member
Counterfeit_Syn5304 supports Team VICIOUS
Counterfeit_Syn5304 supports Pev's Paintball
Counterfeit_Syn5304 is Legendary
Counterfeit_Syn5304 supports Empire
it was dirt lol.

When they had their last rendition of Dedicated they had turf strips..I remember playing there once when they had their new field...Played during a tornado warning.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 PM #33
Cakky

Would definitely be interested in this, as a fellow veteran especially wishing you guys the best of luck on this endeavor.
Cakky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:47 PM #34
Aviator89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep 98 custom View Post
Does anyone know what exactly they used for turf at Dedicated PB's indoor field? I remember it being something like dirt, and it was the best thing I've ever played on indoors.
it was dirt. saturated in paint so it was more like clay wit a dirt coating. But actual turf is way better. nothing worse than dirt and sand in your gun

Old 03-02-2014, 06:12 PM #35
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
That dark dirt was great at first... once paint was into it, it was kind of nasty and pretty stinky.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 PM #36
Mumms.the.word

Mumms.the.word owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Great stuff guys, keep it coming!

We've discussed most of the stuff on the table. Looking like we are going to try to get the short turf. We actually are going to be able to clean the excess balls off the field in the middle of the day if there is a few minutes of down time, which will help in the long run as that will be less broken/stepped on paint to clean up. We will have a system to suction the water from the turf, and have fans to blow it dry for the next day of play. With this being said, we can deep clean once a week, and spot clean after heavy days.
We're also planning on having a modular wall system to create a tactical or 'mil-sim' field. We plan on running some scenarios for sure. I've even had some ideas about creating a small tactical league, and having scored missions each week.
Still quite a bit of planning yet to do, but we're going to knock it out and get this thing rolling!
Mumms.the.word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:55 PM #37
Skipdogg

Good luck using water on the turf.
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:12 PM #38
redz92

All of this sounds awesome, best of luck!
redz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:25 PM #39
esse_prometheus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara_Walters View Post
I'll second that motion, and move to carry it.
Motion carried with a third. An indoor field in Green Bay or the Appleton Area would be awesome. I really don't enjoy driving to Milwaukee to play indoor during winter.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:12 PM #40
Aviator89

Im in favor of madison area. I know I wont be driving up to Greenbay when i can drive to milwaukee. Plus madison would be attractive to some norhtern IL players, Eastern Iowa, SE MN etc. Greenbady area would really limit the clinetel to just oshkosh/greenbay. Both might work out ok, but id be more in favor of madison/ southern WI if I was runnin things. Yes there are plenty of liberals here, but they are all downtown protesting something or other so dont worry about em.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:47 PM #41
MyJTRox
CE

MyJTRox plays in the PSP
MyJTRox is an NCPA National Champion
MyJTRox plays in the APPA D3 division
MyJTRox supports Empire
Madison might draw the college teams in the area (Whitewater, Platteville, sounds like an up and coming Madison club, and maybe Milwaukee) too since their season is Fall through Spring unlike the rest of paintball. When I was in school, we drove 1 1/2 hours almost every weekend to go to Stinger. If it's quality, and reasonably priced, they'll travel.

My Feedback (Before new system)
University of Wisconsin -Whitewater Paintball Team Alum
2009 NCPA Class AA National Champions
APPA
MyJTRox is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups