Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014, 08:07 PM #1
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue
 
hockeyfights118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 supports Empire
Need to fix my Quest, but have no idea how to!

Got my hands on a broken quest, not sure how to fix it or diagnose it. I know the eyes need to be replaced but the wires inside are disconnected and possibly faulty.

I just don't know how to fully understand what is wrong and how to fix it.
hockeyfights118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2014, 08:26 PM #2
imped4now
BTFU
 
imped4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Indianapolis
 has been a member for 10 years
Eyes need to be replaced: Buy new eyes

Wires are possibly faulty: Buy a new wiring harness.

You may have to purchase a second Quest to acquire the wiring harness.
__________________
OLD FEEDBACK>>40+ 0-
OlllllllO
I only argue with intelligent people.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:27 PM #3
tacxplosion
 
 
tacxplosion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Guatemala (for real)
What board does it have? No leaks? Have you read the sticky yet? If you can solder, you might be able to splice timmy eyes.
tacxplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:36 PM #4
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue
 
hockeyfights118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Eyes need to be replaced: Buy new eyes

Wires are possibly faulty: Buy a new wiring harness.

You may have to purchase a second Quest to acquire the wiring harness.
Do you know of anywhere that sell those parts?
hockeyfights118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:57 PM #5
tacxplosion
 
 
tacxplosion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Guatemala (for real)
Critical has lucky board eyes only, that's part of the reason I was asking.
tacxplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:05 PM #6
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue
 
hockeyfights118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacxplosion View Post
Critical has lucky board eyes only, that's part of the reason I was asking.
How do I know what board I have?
hockeyfights118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:38 PM #7
tacxplosion
 
 
tacxplosion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Guatemala (for real)
sticky has pics
tacxplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:42 PM #8
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue
 
hockeyfights118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 supports Empire
Pretty sure I have the WAS board.

I just looked inside and some of the wires are disconnected and seem to be messed up.
hockeyfights118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:46 PM #9
tacxplosion
 
 
tacxplosion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Guatemala (for real)
do your eyes have 3 or 4 wires coming out of the connector? If the solenoid harness came apart, you'll have to re-splice it. Any chance you can take a picture of it?

Last edited by tacxplosion : 02-01-2014 at 09:53 PM.
tacxplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:54 PM #10
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue
 
hockeyfights118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacxplosion View Post
do your eyes have 3 or 4 wires coming out of the connector? If the solenoid harness came apart, you'll have to re-splice it. Any chance you can take a picture of it?
The actual eye has 2 wires coming out of it but it looks like the connectors on the board have 4 wires.
hockeyfights118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:01 PM #11
tacxplosion
 
 
tacxplosion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Guatemala (for real)
It might be compatible with the critical lucky eyes (also 4 prong connector), though I'll hopefully have someone else confirm this.

If you'd like to splice gen1-3 timmy eyes, it can also be done, you can follow this guide on how to solder:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=22127659

And this guide on how BB eyes are usually set up (you can test them by looking at them through any digital camera, if the eyes are working, there'll be a faint bluish purple glow on the emitter side):

http://www.scenariodreams.com/manual...al_install.htm

(see eye section)

Last edited by tacxplosion : 02-01-2014 at 10:04 PM.
tacxplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:23 PM #12
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue
 
hockeyfights118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacxplosion View Post
It might be compatible with the critical lucky eyes (also 4 prong connector), though I'll hopefully have someone else confirm this.

If you'd like to splice gen1-3 timmy eyes, it can also be done, you can follow this guide on how to solder:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=22127659

And this guide on how BB eyes are usually set up (you can test them by looking at them through any digital camera, if the eyes are working, there'll be a faint bluish purple glow on the emitter side):

http://www.scenariodreams.com/manual...al_install.htm

(see eye section)

Some of the wires seem to be disconnected, if I just connect them lightly would it be fine or do they need to be re-soldered back in?

What does it mean to splice the eyes?
hockeyfights118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:33 PM #13
tacxplosion
 
 
tacxplosion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Guatemala (for real)
Ideally you'd want to have the wire soldered on for a secure electrical and mechanical connection, but you can get away with twisting the wires together for a while. Splicing means to connect a wire that wasn't there from the factory (basically solder in timmy eyes where the quest eyes are now).

Try connecting them with the board on and put something in the breech, if the board's LED changes color, then the eyes are good and you only need to solder them back together. If the LED doesn't change, you'll need new eyes. Make sure that all the wires that should be touching are doing so.
tacxplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:40 PM #14
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue
 
hockeyfights118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacxplosion View Post
Ideally you'd want to have the wire soldered on for a secure electrical and mechanical connection, but you can get away with twisting the wires together for a while. Splicing means to connect a wire that wasn't there from the factory (basically solder in timmy eyes where the quest eyes are now).

Try connecting them with the board on and put something in the breech, if the board's LED changes color, then the eyes are good and you only need to solder them back together. If the LED doesn't change, you'll need new eyes. Make sure that all the wires that should be touching are doing so.
I know for a fact I need new eyes, as that's what the previous owner told me about. The wires on the rectangle piece inside became un-soldered so can I just re solder them on or do I need to replace them?
hockeyfights118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:04 PM #15
tacxplosion
 
 
tacxplosion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Guatemala (for real)
If they broke at the crimp, you're probably looking at replacing the whole set (unless you're exceedingly skilled with awls or pins, IMO not worth the time); if they broke a bit after the crimp, you can solder them back on (as I was saying, pics would help).
tacxplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:13 PM #16
hockeyfights118
I Bleed Blue
 
hockeyfights118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
hockeyfights118 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacxplosion View Post
If they broke at the crimp, you're probably looking at replacing the whole set (unless you're exceedingly skilled with awls or pins, IMO not worth the time); if they broke a bit after the crimp, you can solder them back on (as I was saying, pics would help).
Awesome, I'll post pics tomorrow.
hockeyfights118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump