Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-30-2014, 09:44 PM #1
DRC_Paintball

Canadians buying Planet Eclipse, BEWARE!

So... this is a bit of a saga so grab some popcorn.

1. In july 2013 I bought PE Etha fom buypbl.com and about a month later the solenoid started to leak. I narrowed it down to the relief valve kicking in at about 260 fps setting if you are using stock barrel and using 688 paint and trying to adjust the reg to gain 295 fps. The solenoid is operating very close to "safety" pressure and sometimes the relief valve kiks in causing "puffs" of air, and then over time whatever part keeps the valve closed fatigues and the solenoid starts venting at lower and lower pressures. DYE DAM has the same issue BTW.

The fairy tales about swapping orings to 20x2 to fix the issue that PE recommends are useless. The leak is not in the bolt/can assembly.

2. In august I called PE about the leak, they told me to register the gun online and send it to badlandspaintball.com and NOT PBL. I sent it to badlands and they REFUSED to replace the solenoid because apparently PBL buys PE stuff from New Jersey and not from Badlands (who is a PE distributor in Canada). Badlands held my gun for 60 days, then called me and said I have to pay $25 for shipping back, and no repair was done unless I pony up $90 on a month old gun.

3. Badlands told me that PE instructed them NOT to service markers bought by Canadians from USA or "grey" canadian distributors. PBL told me they tried to work with Badlands and they would not sell them PE guns so they bought them in USA. PBL never told me they were not an official PE distributor. PBL IS CANADIAN.

4. I emailed PE and they contacted Badlands, who agreed to swap the solenoid. The gun arrived with a slip that said "not repaired" but they reassured me it was fixed when I called them. The gun has the same problem after one case. Badlands told me NO FURTHER REPAIRS will be done for free even if the marker is under warranty per PE requirement. For the record, I have repaired numerous markers during this period (BT, DYE, SP, Tippmans). I was the unofficial gun tech at the fields.

5. I came across 3 ethas with the same problem locally, and many, many more people online. After much massaging PE's balls, they came clean about the bad solenoids See this: Etha weird leaking fart sound - Page 2

6. I am now stuck with a half-assed marker and nowhere to go. I called PBL and they told me they will buy a new etha and will take mine back, swap the solenoids and send me mine back, so that is my only hope.

TL;DR: If you buy Planet Eclipse ANYTHING from anywhere except Badlands = NO WARRANTY.

Imagine someone ordering an LV1 or GSL from PBL, or paintballgear to be later told to pound sand by PE when the gun breaks because only badlands is a legist distributor!

PS: And if any of you badlands/pe employees want to deny any of this, I have a massive email trail I can post to prove it. Etha has a design flaw, PE customer service is utter crap, only 1 year warranty and shady, anti-competitive deals with Badlands.

I am european and wanted to support PE, Etha was my first marker. I was never a KEE fan. PE dicked me over, I bought AXE and never looked back. My eye board died, KEE sent me a new one for free, no questions asked, did not care when and where I bought the gun. So far I have $2k in KEE gear because of this. Shame on you PE and Badlands, will never see a penny from me.
DRC_Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2014, 09:46 PM #2
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is a Supporting Member
Vegard is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Vegard is Boss
This is in general the jist of things if you buy PE from stores outside of your own country. Hardly news though, I believe it's in place to protect local dealers from losing business to foreign stores who can sell the same item for less. (Tax/vat).

IMHO it's attacking the problem at the wrong end.
-growing older is mandatory – growing up is optional-

Last edited by Vegard : 01-30-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Vegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:51 PM #3
jeepscantshootguns
Washed-Up-Has_Been

jeepscantshootguns owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jeepscantshootguns plays in the APPA D5 division
jeepscantshootguns has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Lol. I admit it, I thought the company was being sold to Canadians.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:56 AM #4
Nicky T
Eclipse Customer Service

Annual Supporting Member
Nicky T works for a Paintball manufacturer
Nicky T supports Bob Gurnsey
Hi DRC_Paintball/Wartex/Dmitry,

I'm more than happy to come on here and clarify the situation for all of our customers; regardless of where they chose to purchase their markers from.

I am very familiar with the details of your claim, having liaised with Mike Smith at Badlands to ensure that your issues were sorted out as swiftly as possible for you; predominantly as a gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience that you had experienced. As far as I was aware you had received your marker back, repaired, in September 2013. If this is not the case then please let me know asap.

There are several topics that require clarification here:

Grey Imports: We will always endeavour to protect our Distributors in exclusive regions (such as Canada, South Africa, Australia, Germany, Malaysia and France) against other companies grey importing product as opposed to purchasing from them. In it's extreme, this includes the option to charge for labour and parts on markers that have NOT been purchased from the recognised Distributor for that region. The decision to charge for this is at the Distributors discretion.

Warranty: Whenever possible we will ALWAYS extend goodwill to our customers with regards to warranty. The minimum requirement, from a customer perspective, is for them to have registered their marker for warranty via: https://warranty.planeteclipse.com/.

We would always advise customers in exclusive distribution regions to purchase their Eclipse products from the Eclipse Distributor or a dealer of that Distributor. If your local store does not deal with said Distributor then urge them to do so as this is the ideal opportunity for them to begin that relationship and get you the products that you want!

As always there are open lines of communication to everyone at Eclipse. If anyone reading this post has any comments, positive or negative, regarding our Customer Service and Technical Support then I actively encourage them to contact me directly at: nick.t@planeteclipse.com

Kindest regards,

Nicky T
Customer Service and Technical Support Manager
Planet Eclipse

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NickyTruter
Nicky T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:24 PM #5
kagago
aka "mini me"

kagago owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Sounds like PE is more than willing to help if you go through the proper channels. I would expect the manufacturer I distribute to back me us as well if I had exclusive rights to distribute their products. Every time I have had to deal with PE customer service it's been more than exceptional. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.
kagago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:26 PM #6
DRC_Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky T View Post
Hi DRC_Paintball/Wartex/Dmitry,

I'm more than happy to come on here and clarify the situation for all of our customers; regardless of where they chose to purchase their markers from.

I am very familiar with the details of your claim, having liaised with Mike Smith at Badlands to ensure that your issues were sorted out as swiftly as possible for you; predominantly as a gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience that you had experienced. As far as I was aware you had received your marker back, repaired, in September 2013. If this is not the case then please let me know asap.
Badlands had my marker for nearly 60 days, AFTER which they called me and informed me they will NOT service my marker and demanded $25 to get it back. Half the season to swap the solenoid is hardly swiftly. I had to contact you again to get the ball rolling, after which Mike Smith called me back and with very condescending attitude explained that them swapping the solenoid they are doing me a massive favour and will not fix the gun again no matter what, he said it was the last repair and I will have to pay. I emailed KEE the other day, they sent me a replacement eye board in a week, no questions asked. The marker was bought in USA, I got it second hand, and it's older than one year, no proof of purchase. KEE bends over backwards for me after a single email, with PE it's like a part time job to get a brand new marker repaired, why?

Badlands also told me they tested the marker with reballs and since reballs shot at 250 fps in their test, the "normal" paint should fly at 300, and no new solenoid needed at all. This was of course a load of BS. I asked them to crank the reg until reballs fly 300 fps and see that the solenoid will leak, which they refused and got pissy at me.

Quote:
There are several topics that require clarification here:

Grey Imports: We will always endeavour to protect our Distributors in exclusive regions (such as Canada, South Africa, Australia, Germany, Malaysia and France) against other companies grey importing product as opposed to purchasing from them. In it's extreme, this includes the option to charge for labour and parts on markers that have NOT been purchased from the recognised Distributor for that region. The decision to charge for this is at the Distributors discretion.
I understand you are trying to protect the dealer network, but you are doing it wrong, you shaft the customers!!! Find out who sells the makers to grey resellers (by serial numbers), and jack up their order price. PBL is a huge distributor and they tried working with Badlands, which refused to sell them PE gear. It's not like PBL bought the markers on the street corner, PE got the money for them anyway, and it's not like PBL is selling them cheaper than Badlands. Why are you shafting the end user? The end user has no way to 100% verify if the distributor is legit. And what about used markers that are still under warranty? Why are you fostering monopoly, and anti-competitive business practices?

Quote:
Warranty: Whenever possible we will ALWAYS extend goodwill to our customers with regards to warranty. The minimum requirement, from a customer perspective, is for them to have registered their marker for warranty via: https://warranty.planeteclipse.com/.
First thing I did is register the marker there and also provide Badlands with invoice from PBL, which they demanded after having the marker for several weeks. They refused to service the marker ANYWAY. I also told you the marker was from PBL and you told me to send it to Badlands, remember?

Quote:
We would always advise customers in exclusive distribution regions to purchase their Eclipse products from the Eclipse Distributor or a dealer of that Distributor. If your local store does not deal with said Distributor then urge them to do so as this is the ideal opportunity for them to begin that relationship and get you the products that you want!
On your website on Canadian map you only see Badlands, and none of the "approved" dealers/resellers.

Quote:
As always there are open lines of communication to everyone at Eclipse. If anyone reading this post has any comments, positive or negative, regarding our Customer Service and Technical Support then I actively encourage them to contact me directly at: nick.t@planeteclipse.com

Kindest regards,

Nicky T
Customer Service and Technical Support Manager
Planet Eclipse
Yeah my solenoid still leaks when I turn up the pressure to reach 295 fps with .691 barrel and .688 paint. I have come across several more Ethas that have the same issue, and all of them are 2013 or newer. I can get maybe 270 fps. I also have a feeling Badlands did not swap the solenoid, I should have marked the old one, but not sure. So yeah, I still need a the marker fixed.
DRC_Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:03 PM #7
DanR
deutsch

Annual Supporting Member
DanR plays in the PSP
DanR is an NCPA player
DanR plays in the APPA D3 division
DanR supports Empire
it does seem like pe's customer service is amazing on the geo and ego lines but lacking on the etha that being said they still do try and im sure they will resolve this issue

i agree empire is pretty top notch though in helping everyone and anyone out with issues

to bad the etha noids are made in spain if they had mac noids in them i bet they wouldn't have any of these issues although they would definitely be more expensive

Soft/Hard good FST

Last edited by DanR : 02-02-2014 at 10:06 PM.
DanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:19 AM #8
Nicky T
Eclipse Customer Service

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC_Paintball View Post
Yeah my solenoid still leaks when I turn up the pressure to reach 295 fps with .691 barrel and .688 paint. I have come across several more Ethas that have the same issue, and all of them are 2013 or newer. I can get maybe 270 fps. I also have a feeling Badlands did not swap the solenoid, I should have marked the old one, but not sure. So yeah, I still need a the marker fixed.
Hi Dmitry,
You have direct access to me and I will gladly get you sorted straight away. Please use that facility and contact me on: nick.t@planeteclipse.com with all of the required information (serial number, full address). Once I have this, I will send a replacement solenoid assembly out to you this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC_Paintball View Post
On your website on Canadian map you only see Badlands, and none of the "approved" dealers/resellers.
We are actively working with all of our Distributors to ensure that not only do they have their dealers mentioned on their website, but also so that we can feature them on our website. This will be continuous work in progress.

Nicky T
Planet Eclipse

Old 02-03-2014, 05:22 AM #9
Nicky T
Eclipse Customer Service

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
it does seem like pe's customer service is amazing on the geo and ego lines but lacking on the etha that being said they still do try and im sure they will resolve this issue

to bad the etha noids are made in spain if they had mac noids in them i bet they wouldn't have any of these issues although they would definitely be more expensive
There should be no difference in the service and support that customers receive regardless of which Eclipse marker they have purchased. All that we ask is that you register your marker via: https://warranty.planeteclipse.com/ and provide a proof of purchase to me via email on: nick.t@planeteclipse.com if you wish to extend your warranty further.

As for Etha solenoid being made in Spain; that is incorrect. Europe, yes, but not in Spain.

Nicky T
Planet Eclipse

Old 02-03-2014, 11:55 PM #10
Calculon The Great

Thick Italian accent "heyyyy Luigi looka, datta batcha o solenoideee, she does notta looka tooo gooda!"

LOLZ!
Calculon The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:24 AM #11
Calculon The Great

I gotta laugh because I don't know how else to react.

DRC, some of what you described happened to me. I had to crank the reg pressure all the way up just to get a very inconsistent 290fps. Marker was registered, sent to Badlands. I get a call "what's wrong with it? We shot a few reballs through it, shoots fine." I suggest there may be an issue with the solenoid (and that was before PE made its announcement about the bad batch) but I'm told "nah, solenoids don't go bad". I get the marker back and then of course after one or two games the 'noid leaks. I ship the busted 'noid back and to PE & Badlands' credit (let's be fair here) they send me a free one.

I installed the 'noid, and it works. I still had to crank the reg pressure way up but not as much as I previously had to. Played a game like that and then during the next outing same crap all over: I have to crank the reg all the way up and the gun is inconsistent and thus inaccurate as hell since. Utterly Unusable.

My Etha has become a running gag amongst my friends and even the staff at one of the local PB hangouts. Everyone's telling me "just sell it man" but alas I'm too honest for that. I don't pass crap along. Honestly I have given up. It is currently in its casing in the garage, being used as a weight so that some stuff won't move when I park in there.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 AM #12
Nicky T
Eclipse Customer Service

Annual Supporting Member
Calculon The Great,
No need to laugh, but surely there is every incentive to get in touch with us and get your marker back up and running.
You shouldn't need to "crank up" anything to get an Etha shooting well, so something must be amiss.
Having ensured that you have registered your marker via: https://warranty.planeteclipse.com/site/signin, please contact me directly on: nick.t@planeteclipse.com
Nicky T
Planet Eclipse.

p.s. Dmitry, still waiting for your email sir!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:26 PM #13
Calculon The Great

Thanks Nicky, but really if you're to ask me to send it to Badlands again what's the point?

"huh we asked a shaman to come in and he communicated with the tribe's spirits who confirmed that your Etha's karma is positive, so you're good to go. That'll be $50"

Last edited by Calculon The Great : 02-04-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:42 PM #14
Calculon The Great

Quote:
I am now stuck with a half-assed marker and nowhere to go. I called PBL and they told me they will buy a new etha and will take mine back, swap the solenoids and send me mine back, so that is my only hope.
PBL is just as bad by the way. They would take the defective noid and put it in a gun and sell it as brand new. That's why I tech my own stuff all the time, I trust very few "techs". As a matter of fact when I was there (PBL) I told a tech about my Etha woes and he told me with a wry smile "ha just sell it". Goes to show you...

Look we gotta be fair here: PE is a good company, making good markers and yes they have good, professional customer service. Eteks, Egos, Geos, etc are well-made and reliable guns. I know, I own(ed) several of them. Maybe the Etha in its current iteration is just a failure. It happens (remember the DYE NT?)

Quote:
with PE it's like a part time job to get a brand new marker repaired, why?
LOL! I should add that to my resume. Prospective employer: "what's an Etha?"
Old 02-04-2014, 01:31 PM #15
Frizzle Fry
AO Micromag Guy

Frizzle Fry is playing at Living Legends III
Frizzle Fry owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
You're coming at this from the wrong direction...

"buypbl.com" should be responsible for repairing or replacing your marker, not Badlands or Planet Eclipse.

You should have contacted them first, especially if you started having an issue "about a month" after you purchased the marker - here in the US at least there is what is called an "implied warranty of merchantability" which means that ANYTHING sold is expected to work properly for a reasonable amount of time, generally a minimum of 30 days. If it doesn't work, the seller is responsible for repairs or replacement. I would assume Canada has a similar legal concept.

Your marker is not warrantied for repair by distributors in Canada; it's a US marker. Badlands has no responsibility to repair it - their time is worth money, and their agreement is to be the exclusive distributor for Canada, specifically performing warranty repairs on markers that have passed through their hands. If "buypbl.com" has claimed that your marker is the responsibility of PEs distributor in Canada, then they have lied to you, and you should address the issue with whatever consumer protection agency covers such issuess in Canada (here in the US it would be the states attorney general).

As for grey-market items? You can't expect PE or any company to be responsible for markers that are imported/exported through sketchy, unofficial means. Manufacturers are not charities, they are businesses, and most have a specific protocol for distributorship and warranties - "buypbl.com" knew what they were doing when they skirted PEs policy and probably made additional profit by knowingly passing the hassle on to you, the customer. So far it seems that both PE and Badlands have gone out on a limb for you when they absolutely did not need to - I would not sniff a gift fish if I were you.

The lesson here seems to be to do your due diligence when buying things from retailers - if you spend more than a few hundred dollars on something (anything), you should probably ask what sort of a warranty it has! If the retailer lies about it, you have recourse. If they're honest, you know to buy elsewhere or negotiate a better deal.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:25 AM #16
Nicky T
Eclipse Customer Service

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon The Great View Post
Thanks Nicky, but really if you're to ask me to send it to Badlands again what's the point?

"huh we asked a shaman to come in and he communicated with the tribe's spirits who confirmed that your Etha's karma is positive, so you're good to go. That'll be $50"
Who says I am going to?

Unless you email me with the relevant details you'll never find out...

My job is to get any/all customers issues fixed. I don't waste time with "what if's", instead I prefer to deal with the "let's get it sorted" .

Nicky T

Old 02-05-2014, 05:46 PM #17
Nicky T
Eclipse Customer Service

Annual Supporting Member
Email received Calculon - will get back to you asap!

Nicky T

Old 02-05-2014, 06:20 PM #18
f8al
BOOBY GT FOUNDER

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al donated to help Peyton Trent
f8al owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
f8al owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
f8al posts videos on PbNation
f8al supports our troops
Planet has always been great with assistance on every marker bought from us, be it Etha or Ego the marker has never mattered. Gerry has always been great over the phone and gotten me any parts I needed if I was out and has even taken the time to help me diagnose/troubleshoot over the phone to save time/money on shipping a gun back and forth.

It doesn't matter what the gun is, the support has always been great.
f8al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:26 PM #19
Calculon The Great

Thank you Nicky
Old 02-06-2014, 12:00 AM #20
DriverJ
Death is Coming...

Annual Supporting Member
DriverJ is BST Legit
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DriverJ supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky T View Post
Who says I am going to?

Unless you email me with the relevant details you'll never find out...

My job is to get any/all customers issues fixed. I don't waste time with "what if's", instead I prefer to deal with the "let's get it sorted" .

Nicky T

can't live in What If's gotta live like Yoda says... "do or do not"

Quote:
Originally Posted by f8al View Post
Planet has always been great with assistance on every marker bought from us, be it Etha or Ego the marker has never mattered. Gerry has always been great over the phone and gotten me any parts I needed if I was out and has even taken the time to help me diagnose/troubleshoot over the phone to save time/money on shipping a gun back and forth.

It doesn't matter what the gun is, the support has always been great.

Bingo, this is spot on how my experience has been.
DriverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:34 AM #21
Nicky T
Eclipse Customer Service

Annual Supporting Member
Email received from Dmitry too last night.

Care packages will be leaving Planet Eclipse UK bound for Canada shortly!

Nicky T