Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-13-2014, 03:56 AM #400
EliteDM9Assassin
UNITED

EliteDM9Assassin is a Paintball photographer
EliteDM9Assassin owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
EliteDM9Assassin plays in the APPA D4 division
Damn i was out of the look from last season an i come back to here this, damn later PSP hope i can still shoot at local events cause there is no way im paying that for a pass
United #30
Elite Images

EliteDM9Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2014, 11:56 AM #401
skunk_13_2005
Cross Creek Paintball

skunk_13_2005 supports Team VICIOUS
skunk_13_2005 supports Pev's Paintball
skunk_13_2005 has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
skunk_13_2005 is attending Decay of Nations VI
skunk_13_2005 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
John, the professional photographers didn't get too bothersome on the divisional fields but the hobby shooters this policy targeted were a frequent nuisance. They had a tendency to occupy the space referees should be in and not have the awareness to move, whereas the guys that deserved to be there were pretty good about being courteous without nagging.

This is 100% true, I've reffed most of the east coast/Midwest events since 09 and eforce hit the nail on the head. It is a huge hindrance to us refs to have everyone and their brother out there with a camera. You can immediately tell the guys who've been around paintball media for a while (for example, most have the ability to use their peripheral vision to move while still focusing on their shots before I step on/trip over them). I cannot tell you how many times I've almost killed myself on the amatuer photogs while trying to do my job.
skunk_13_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:11 PM #402
egokid321
QT

egokid321 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
egokid321 supports Team VICIOUS
egokid321 is for the Gunfight
not good for paintball at all, stop looking for money and help the sport grow !

Cs union
egokid321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:21 AM #403
thepiper

This is for divisional fields only, not the pro fields.
I am no photographer, but all of this seems to be very poor planning to me. First of all I do not see any reason for there to be more than 3 to 4 photographers on a divisional field at any time. Second why money is even involved with PSP make no since what so ever in the divisional ranks, unless they are trying to make a profit from it (which they should not be).
Let me lay you out a easy plan PSP/ Photographers to help all involved.

1: Let the teams roster 1 photographer on there roster, that guy is required to purchase a PSP badge just like the player, maybe in a different color. The only time he is allowed on the field is when the team is on the field. So now you have a max of 2 photographers on the field at the same time. He is part of the team.

2. If PSP or a Magazine outlet wants photo's, allow a max of 2 PROFESSIONAL photographers per field and those field slots be determined before the event. But those photographer's is only allowed on there field the entire event. This makes a MAX of 4 Photographers on the field at the same time, which is not too many. You get full coverage from every field. These are deals that PSP can make with the PRO media out there before each season. And limits it to basically 12-16 Pro Media guys.

3: Let the pro media offer there photo's to the teams they shoot after the event, because most likely they can put together a nice package that a team may would pay for, being the same teams play on the same field in all there prelim games. And give the team photographers the same opportunity to offer their photo's to the magazine outlets and team sponsor's.

4. Now I know there is a lot of teams out there want the same photographer and the photographer wants to shoot more than one team. So PSP needs to let the team photographers to be allowed on a max of 3 Rosters. This will probably mean the schedule may interfere at some times and a team may get missed in a match. That is something the teams and photographer will have to work out. There is also some teams that may just want a mother, father or friend of a kid playing on the team as their photographer and it gives those teams that choice. Plus if they decide to buy the professional media's photo package from their field they have the option.

5: I am sure there is a lot here I do not understand and probably am missing. But it sure seems to me it is being made much more difficult than it should be, if you are trying to make it so there is not too many photographers on a field. And wanting to make sure you have room for the professionals. Personally I do not know why this would not work. It limits the amount of media on the fields. Gives teams the photographers they want and have hired for the year. Gives the photographers the opportunity to make there own yearly deals with teams or PSP. And should be able to cover everything that needs to be covered media wise on every field. Using the PSP badge and roster spots makes it easy to keep only the people that is supposed to be on the field where they are supposed to be. And this should make it much easier for the photographers to keep up with.
thepiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 AM #404
fallen9210
RIP Xball

fallen9210 is a Paintball photographer
fallen9210 supports Team VICIOUS
fallen9210 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepiper View Post

1: Let the teams roster 1 photographer on there roster, that guy is required to purchase a PSP badge just like the player, maybe in a different color. The only time he is allowed on the field is when the team is on the field. So now you have a max of 2 photographers on the field at the same time. He is part of the team.

Who is going to stand at the net checking ID's for photographers? The Refs? They already have their hands full with chronos and cleaning fields in between points.

2. If PSP or a Magazine outlet wants photo's, allow a max of 2 PROFESSIONAL photographers per field and those field slots be determined before the event. But those photographer's is only allowed on there field the entire event. This makes a MAX of 4 Photographers on the field at the same time, which is not too many. You get full coverage from every field. These are deals that PSP can make with the PRO media out there before each season. And limits it to basically 12-16 Pro Media guys.

Media outlets don't want coverage from only a D3 field the entire event. They want a variety of photos, from every division and format played. They want UWL, Pump, Splat Master, and the full range of divisions. By limiting them to one field will only lower the quality of the media service provided.

3: Let the pro media offer there photo's to the teams they shoot after the event, because most likely they can put together a nice package that a team may would pay for, being the same teams play on the same field in all there prelim games. And give the team photographers the same opportunity to offer their photo's to the magazine outlets and team sponsor's.

Most of the revenue a photographer makes is from booking ahead of time. No player wants to buy pictures after, they all want to guarantee their photos ahead of time.

4. Now I know there is a lot of teams out there want the same photographer and the photographer wants to shoot more than one team. So PSP needs to let the team photographers to be allowed on a max of 3 Rosters. This will probably mean the schedule may interfere at some times and a team may get missed in a match. That is something the teams and photographer will have to work out. There is also some teams that may just want a mother, father or friend of a kid playing on the team as their photographer and it gives those teams that choice. Plus if they decide to buy the professional media's photo package from their field they have the option.

The mother, father, or friend with no experience does not need to be on the field taking pictures. Those are the people that will get get in the Refs way, and cause someone to get hurt. Also, how do you expect a photographer to pay his airfare with only 3 booked teams? Some events cost nearly $500 in airfare alone, without taking into consideration hotel, food, rental car, and post processing time afterwards.

5: I am sure there is a lot here I do not understand and probably am missing. But it sure seems to me it is being made much more difficult than it should be, if you are trying to make it so there is not too many photographers on a field. And wanting to make sure you have room for the professionals. Personally I do not know why this would not work. It limits the amount of media on the fields. Gives teams the photographers they want and have hired for the year. Gives the photographers the opportunity to make there own yearly deals with teams or PSP. And should be able to cover everything that needs to be covered media wise on every field. Using the PSP badge and roster spots makes it easy to keep only the people that is supposed to be on the field where they are supposed to be. And this should make it much easier for the photographers to keep up with.

The media policies of the PSP could use work. I agree that at times there were incredibly too many photographers and videographers on the fields at one time. But this, nor what the PSP has put in place, is the answer. Because of this, I'm sure they are going to see a drastic decrease in media coverage, and not make the money they are imagining. This will also create unhappy customers as they can no longer receive affordable media.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:53 PM #405
dye*bmxer2001

dye*bmxer2001 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
dye*bmxer2001 plays in the APPA beginner division
I miss Keely. *sigh*
Old 03-04-2014, 09:29 AM #406
Gigalisk
Balls out

Gigalisk supports Team VICIOUS
Gigalisk has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gigalisk has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Dude i feel like the artists that love to photo the game get f0rKed out of EVERYTHING just because of the corporations GREED....dude we cart all of our own crap most of the time to get these photos, and USUALLY FOR FREE! So for the little guy i gotta fork over at least 1k to take photos? TWAT THE FORK

Current: (Primary) Empire AXE - TechT MRT Gold Bolt/TechT LowPress. spring kit/TechT iFIT 9pc insert kit

Loaded by DYE ROTOR and VIRTUE SPIRE 260
Gigalisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:09 PM #407
DJ Paris_82
Professional Photographer

Annual Supporting Member
DJ Paris_82 is a Paintball photographer
DJ Paris_82 is playing at Living Legends VII
DJ Paris_82 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DJ Paris_82 supports Team VICIOUS
DJ Paris_82 posts videos on PbNation
DJ Paris_82 is Legendary
DJ Paris_82 supports Empire
Bump to top, many teams still are not aware of the changes.
DJ Paris_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:47 AM #408
whteboy
Glock 37

That's more than a full team entry fee to some tournaments lol. This is off the rictor
Old 08-13-2014, 10:14 AM #409
CraigAL32

CraigAL32 plays in the APPA beginner division
Unfortunately the PSP has to protect and have control over its brand.
There needs to be a limit to the number of photogs and there needs to be a mandatory tutorial on where ,what ,and how they can do things. They have to be an asset to the game and not a liability to each match. As stated before many do end up getting in the way and can cause game changing events. Teams call out some photogs for bird dogging.
With all that in mind how do you limit the number of photogs? You raise the price to filter out 90% of those photogs wanting a spot. Or maybe run a lottery ?
Those wanting a chance to be in the lottery would pay a small fee. Winners would then still pay a fee but it could be considerably less since fees from entering the lottery could help . Just a thought.
For all of us that have been around long enough this whole thing is funny. There was a time when the NPPL started to limit and police their photogs. The PSP loyals beat them up for that policy. Things have come full circle.

Owner of the Annihilators and one of the original founding players.
One of the founding players for Miami Rage 1994-1997
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Florid...s/377685150910
http://www.floridapaintballing.com
Boogie Fan #1
CraigAL32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:39 PM #410
Hobbes The Tiger
Big Gulps, huh?

Annual Supporting Member
Hobbes The Tiger is a Moderator
Hobbes The Tiger is BST Trusted
Hobbes The Tiger is a Paintball photographer
Hobbes The Tiger is playing at Living Legends VII
Hobbes The Tiger supports our troops
Hobbes The Tiger is attending Decay of Nations VI
The way you limit photogs is hire someone that knows how to handle media properly and then a situation like this is avoidable.

Follow PbNation: Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

@DABPhoto: Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Hobbes The Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:50 AM #411
rawnyron

rawnyron plays in the PSP
rawnyron plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes The Tiger View Post
The way you limit photogs is hire someone that knows how to handle media properly and then a situation like this is avoidable.
I don't necessarily agree with all the changes either, but I am curious. How would you solve the situation?
Mid South Xball League
Rawny Media
rawnyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:36 AM #412
ajjeepguy

ajjeepguy plays in the PSP
ajjeepguy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Its real simple as described above you put a person in place who manages media and hand out a limited number of credentials. There doesn't need to be a ridiculous price associated with it (obviously not free but not the price it is today) just a limit as well as rules/guidelines associated with the on field behavior of media. Simply increasing the price does nothing to eliminate on field media issues, it just decreases the media availability at events.
ajjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:55 AM #413
shark6428

shark6428 is a Paintball photographer
I don't recall seeing the following line the last time I looked at the rules on the site, but this right here is nuts.

Quote:
By applying for a Photographer ID Credential, you automatically grant PSP Events LLC a limited license to use your photographs taken at the PSP events for PSPís self-promotional use, and may be published on PSPís websites, blogs, social networking sites and other printed materials.
For what it's worth, shooting the Olympics is cheaper than shooting a season of PSP. And the Olympic committee takes care of media with rooms full of WIFI, power, food, and water. In other sports/industries they don't charge for a pass, they're just very selective with who they give them to.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
shark6428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:07 AM #414
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark6428 View Post
I don't recall seeing the following line the last time I looked at the rules on the site, but this right here is nuts.
If you knew the context of what brought about these changes, you'd understand why that clause is completely necessary.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:37 PM #415
contract*killa
MASS Media

contract*killa posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
If you knew the context of what brought about these changes, you'd understand why that clause is completely necessary.
Wasnt it because the PSP used someones photo, and when the photographer asked about it the PSP said they were being sued and were changing policy? If I remember right the guy denied ever talking about suing the PSP but there was a big blow up over it all.

If the PSP wants pictures they can have someone on staff walk around and take pictures or video. I dont understand the policy at all. I the pass was free and they wanted to use a picture, I could see the policy. Most of the photogs and video people I know would let any league post a picture if the league asked to before hand. But to pay a couple thousand and not have full rights over your stuff is crazy.
contract*killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:44 PM #416
rawnyron

rawnyron plays in the PSP
rawnyron plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjeepguy View Post
Its real simple as described above you put a person in place who manages media and hand out a limited number of credentials. There doesn't need to be a ridiculous price associated with it (obviously not free but not the price it is today) just a limit as well as rules/guidelines associated with the on field behavior of media. Simply increasing the price does nothing to eliminate on field media issues, it just decreases the media availability at events.
Isn't that what they do now on top of the fee? To my understanding all the "partners" and sponsored media do not have to pay.
Mid South Xball League
Rawny Media
rawnyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:46 AM #417
DJ Paris_82
Professional Photographer

Annual Supporting Member
DJ Paris_82 is a Paintball photographer
DJ Paris_82 is playing at Living Legends VII
DJ Paris_82 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DJ Paris_82 supports Team VICIOUS
DJ Paris_82 posts videos on PbNation
DJ Paris_82 is Legendary
DJ Paris_82 supports Empire
If you want to get paid from teams, its the $$$ part where you have to pay and the PSP still gets all your rights to photos.

If your media, not getting paid by teams for photos you do not have to pay, you just need to connect up with a media source, no one has offered me anything close to what non paintball media pays me on a weekly basis.

THe issue was a photo mob photographer took a teams pics, a person from the team donated that pic to the PSP to be used with out the photographers permission. So the PSP totally FREAKED out and this came about.

It would of been handled much better by hiring an actually media person/liaison who is educated in real world media and how it works in real life, not in the PSP's small world of " We do it our way, right or wrong"

Very simple moving forward, hire someone properly educated in media, instead of giving out photo spots to people who have no clue what they're doing simply put a interview view in place, send in idk 5 good pics, and who you're with, background info, and all that good stuff. I do it all the time when applying for media credentials for events or things I have not photographed before.

I mean if PBnation can handle a photo badge, I would hope the PSP could professionally handle their media department.

Out of all the spots promoters/promotions/leagues I have worked for over the years, Paintball and the PSP are the only ones to charge photographers to do photos, I am clueless why this is the opposite with every other sport where we get paid to come do photos.

Last edited by DJ Paris_82 : 08-19-2014 at 11:55 AM.
DJ Paris_82 is offline   Reply With Quote