Community Focus

Old 01-27-2014, 01:25 AM #211
EtekPaintball

Annual Supporting Member
EtekPaintball is playing at Living Legends VII
EtekPaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
EtekPaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
EtekPaintball supports Empire
Wow this guy single handedly is going to run the sport into the ground. We're trying to grow the sport of paintball, not limit access/viewership and suckle out the small amount of money that is in the sport.

Maybe if *******s like this didn't exist I wouldn't be paying out the roof just to enjoy a hobby that I love.
EtekPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2014, 01:46 AM #212
BryanC

What a backwards way of doing things.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:49 AM #213
Mike Grenade

Mike Grenade is a Paintball photographer
I'd feel better about this if there were a legitimate media outlet that would pay for work and cover expenses. There are none, and so the options are:
a) make nothing shooting for "media" or sponsors, who are now well acclimated to using free photography and not about to stop,
b) form a company and attempt to pull a measly profit as detailed here.
Mike Grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:57 AM #214
nielsen.dk

1200$?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I know paintball is an exprnsive sport, but come on........
nielsen.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:31 AM #215
igotbanned-ibra5
I ball

igotbanned-ibra5 plays in the PSP
igotbanned-ibra5 posts videos on PbNation
igotbanned-ibra5 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Hey PSP, let us know if there will be a photo booth for the working photographers. You know, like the photo/press rooms that real sports offer for photojournalists.

Just a few things needed for the booth out on the field:

*High speed internet
*Desks/Tables (so photogs can edit on the field)
*Power outlets
*Food and refrigerated drinks. (breakfast and lunch will suffice)
*AC (specially for WC, it gets really hot in Fl)

Most, if not all, professional sports venues offer this and do not charge for a media pass. So, since you guys seem eager to charge an ungodly amount of money for a media pass those things previously mentioned are expected from you as a "professional" sporting venue.

My request seems a little too crazy you might say? Well, so does your idiotic "media policy". You are simply pushing the best paintball photographers in the world away from your events with such petty bull****.

Don't get me wrong, I love paintball and have enjoyed playing the PSP, but from a players perspective you guys really need to actually put some thought into this.

Ps
Damien, you refusing to discuss the changes online or over emails seem like extremely poor customer service coming from a "professional" sports event representative.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:08 AM #216
Raven_Bear

Raven_Bear supports Empire
This has to be the most rediculous thing ive ever seen. I mean I can hardly watch psp as it is but to charge upwards of 1000+ for someone to go take photos? Just go **** on their chest too! I cant believe that a "pro" sport that cant even provide proper stations for media is going to charge them to show up. I did photography for a while and like everyone is saying, it isnt easy to make money. Its pretty much like working two jobs to even get to the event. If you want to find me ill be on the beach taking picturws of amateur surfers to make a couple dollars
Old 01-27-2014, 07:21 AM #217
Rancid1845
Not Lazy........ Just Fat

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Rancid1845 is playing at Living Legends VI
Rancid1845 plays in the APPA D5 division
Rancid1845 supports Empire
Photographers and people who take video are free advertisement. Why would you want to stop that? This is so dumb.

T2 TOPGUN UNION
TOPGUN HOSTILE TAKEOVER
If it Shoots its "the ****"
Rancid1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:37 AM #218
Rancid1845
Not Lazy........ Just Fat

Annual Supporting Member
Rancid1845 is playing at Living Legends VI
Rancid1845 plays in the APPA D5 division
Rancid1845 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer187 View Post
Would it seem like a better value if the photography company were to have a booth space as well with that price? Just throwing out ideas. If there was a dedicated space for the company to show photos, prints, and book teams at the event there might be value there. Plus the retail on a 10x10 at the average PSP event is about $1500.

It wouldn't cost the PSP much in set up or the use of a few pop up tents.

Problem is there are a helluva lot of photographers out there that do this as a hobby or a favor for friends/family. Almost no photographers that I have met make any sort of profit from this and barely ever cover the cost of hotel/travel/etc. So....No, it would not seem like a better value because for 99% of the photographers a booth would be useless.

T2 TOPGUN UNION
TOPGUN HOSTILE TAKEOVER
If it Shoots its "the ****"
Rancid1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:44 AM #219
C@mM!

Poor form. I could understand perhaps putting a quota on media passes so as to stop an influx on the field, but such large amounts to cover events when these photographers generally make little cash is poor form.
C@mM! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:49 AM #220
Jedihippie
My backpack's got jets

Annual Supporting Member
Jedihippie is playing at Living Legends VI
Jedihippie is playing at Living Legends VII
Jedihippie has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Jedihippie has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Jedihippie has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
and here I am trying to get into photography...
"Reminds me of the kids that bolt on exhausts, wings and vinyl cutouts onto their rice mobiles and then hate on a ground up resto rodded 69 Camaro" -OPBN
"Due to the Berzerkers rep and knowledge of Mag awesomeness, the opposing team dropped their markers and are actually out of the frame curled up in fetal positions" -OPBN... Again
Jedihippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:06 AM #221
shock2k3
get hostile

shock2k3 is a Supporting Member
shock2k3 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotbanned-ibra5 View Post
Damien, you refusing to discuss the changes online or over emails seem like extremely poor customer service coming from a "professional" sports event representative.
Seems like they are saying "we are the big leagues.. if you have an issue, you can take it up with us after you pay the piper. See you at event 1."

Why not film HB nppl or the APL events? Maybe you guys could still turn a profit doing what you enjoy. If those leagues are smart they will do something to attract photogs and get some exposure.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 AM #222
fallen9210
RIP Xball

fallen9210 is a Paintball photographer
fallen9210 supports Team VICIOUS
fallen9210 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The fact that Damien will not discuss issues over the internet is one of my biggest issues with the matter. I don't suppose it would be very economical for all of the photographers who usually shoot/plan to shoot Dallas to fly out, just to have a conversation. This is 2014, the world revolves around internet based media and news. Sharing your information and reasoning should be a simple enough matter. Explain the break down, explain the figures, explain the reasoning. I'm sure if it was as obvious and easy as a decision for the PSP, then it should be easy enough for us to understand and back down.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:03 AM #223
T ROLLER

T ROLLER plays in the PSP
T ROLLER owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
T ROLLER owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
T ROLLER supports Empire
T ROLLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:05 AM #224
EOS Player
Underground Local Pro

EOS Player owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
EOS Player is for the Gunfight
EOS Player supports Pev's Paintball
EOS Player plays in the APPA beginner division
EOS Player has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Hey PSP, let us know if there will be a photo booth for the working photographers. You know, like the photo/press rooms that real sports offer for photojournalists.

*High speed internet
*Power outlets

Most, if not all, professional sports venues offer this and do not charge for a media pass. So, since you guys seem eager to charge an ungodly amount of money for a media pass those things previously mentioned are expected from you as a "professional" sporting venue.

My request seems a little too crazy you might say? Well, so does your idiotic "media policy". You are simply pushing the best paintball photographers in the world away from your events with such petty bull****.

Don't get me wrong, I love paintball and have enjoyed playing the PSP, but from a players perspective you guys really need to actually put some thought into this.

Ps
This right here

People that feel the need to post up all of the guns they've own(ed) in their signature should probably just kill themselves.

flickr
EOS Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 AM #225
Mr Idiot Box
Rubber Ducky Pump Squad

Mr Idiot Box plays in the PSP
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Why would you attack free advertisement for your business? I don't get it.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 AM #226
Barbara_Walters
I want AR15 mags, PM me

Barbara_Walters plays in the PSP
Barbara_Walters supports Cereal Killerz 2
Barbara_Walters helped look for balloons
Barbara_Walters is an NCPA player
Barbara_Walters has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
All I got out of that was lemonade for 5 cents a cup. what a steal!
Barbara_Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:12 AM #227
Livinlife11
Accuracy, not by volume.

Livinlife11 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Livinlife11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Livinlife11 supports Pev's Paintball
Livinlife11 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien - PSP Events View Post
I received my fair share of emails and addressing those concerns and questions has been my priority for the past 2 days.
I still have a few dozen to reply to, so please bear with me.

I won't debate the intent on a forum, but if you email me or attend any of our events, feel free to come to me and have that discussion. I am easy to find and despite what people think, I don't bite.

I don't thing there is anything I could say that would not be misinterpreted, so I will simply reassure the divisional teams that despite what has been said here there will be plenty of media coverage.

Regarding the new regulations, we will keep everyone updated via our website and Facebook page.
First, lets make sure we are not starting issues that don't exist. Damien stated he is replying to emails, just not commenting publically. Lets be fair here...

My curious question would be, why have the same conversation 50 times individually, when you could have it once with 50 people at the same time.

Again, it strikes me as strange that PSP has been the best at communicating with its players over social media yet they won't publically have an open dialogue regarding this issue.

My bet is this will end up like the Netflix fiasco of 2012 (or was it 2011?)... Board members sat in a closed room and convinced themselves that something was a good idea, released it, then had to spend the next year trying to recover from it... By 2015 the media policy will change (if not mid season this season)...
Livinlife11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:22 AM #228
TOM_458
hey hey ho ho 100110

Annual Supporting Member
TOM_458 is a Paintball photographer
TOM_458 plays in the PSP
TOM_458 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
TOM_458 supports Team VICIOUS
TOM_458 posts videos on PbNation
TOM_458 plays in the APPA D5 division
TOM_458 is Legendary
from reading some of the comments if your not selling your footage your really sandbagging the guys who do and IMO should not even be let on to the field
TEAM ZONE
ZONE ELITE
APPA
TOM_458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:44 AM #229
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
Deimus85 plays in the PSP
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:

*High speed internet
*Power outlets

Ps

This seems like a pretty reasonable request, considering the new charges.

Playground Legends/Fast Five/Drexel University NCPA Alumni/Bulldogs Athens Millennium/Washington Winstons
Feedback
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:47 AM #230
stygshore
Big Evil made me do it!

stygshore is a founding member
stygshore is playing at Living Legends VII
stygshore supports Empire
I would think this mostly translates as they want to get event photographers who are associated with the event sponsors/advertisers. Meaning they don't care about that awesome move Timmy just made diving over the snake - but how good the Dye gear and the DM14 looked during the move.

Styg
stygshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:56 AM #231
turmoil
that's the bottom line

turmoil is a Paintball photographer
turmoil plays in the PSP
turmoil is playing at Living Legends VII
turmoil supports Pev's Paintball
turmoil plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinlife11 View Post
First, lets make sure we are not starting issues that don't exist. Damien stated he is replying to emails, just not commenting publically. Lets be fair here...

My curious question would be, why have the same conversation 50 times individually, when you could have it once with 50 people at the same time.

Again, it strikes me as strange that PSP has been the best at communicating with its players over social media yet they won't publically have an open dialogue regarding this issue.
I'm just guessing they don't want to address any of the main comments/concerns in this thread because they fear it'll turn into a **** show (probably true on some level).
Maybe they've also made up their mind and don't really care what anyone has to say about it? They made their decision and they're sticking with it.

If they are responding to direct emails, has someone proposed to them the scenario with 3 photographers and the estimated price break downs -- http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...4#post80234614 ? I would just like to see an honest answer as to why they think that, that is a viable option for any photographer group OR at least how they expect the pricing/work load to be divvied up.
turmoil is offline   Reply With Quote