Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 AM #1
Epsidufus

Paintball Shell Casings

RAP4 puts out their markers which use .43 paint and they load into plastic alloy shells.

What's stopping anyone from doing it with .68? I know people are going to say its cost ineffective because the shells will get lost, or because its non-eco-friendly because, again, the shells would get lost. But one, for the novelty, and 2, what about indoor fields? If I had an indoor field near me I would be figuring out a way to make it so I ejected shells every time I shot .

Is there anything for sale already out there?
Epsidufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2014, 04:11 PM #2
SharptheJack
Hit more when out.

SharptheJack has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Try the CCM SR1. It's very impractical, though.
SharptheJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:09 PM #3
Epsidufus

I just thought it would be cool haha
Old 01-29-2014, 11:39 AM #4
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
I think the reason there are little to none is that the magazines would have to have very limited capacity or be really big, or both. .43 cal is much smaller than .68, they can fit ~30 rounds in there. With .68 and shells, I'd say you'd be lucky to get 15.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:43 PM #5
Epsidufus

Well then what about the DMags, there are 14 round ones (like your saying and is understood), then 20 round ones and even 30 round ones. The shells would, at most, a millimeter to each side of the paintball. In that case a 30 round DMag would hold around 27 balls effectively? (I'm using the DMag as an example, I know the shape wouldn't fit paintballs with shells)
Old 01-30-2014, 09:00 AM #6
chasethebarber

I think the main advantage to using a casing would be the ability to do a staggered magazine. Paintballs simply aren't strong enough to be loaded like this, but the added rigidity of a casing would make it a real possibility. The magazines would be really wide, but you could always use .50 caliber paint to make it less cumbersome.

The big issue is still feeding/extracting the casings.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 PM #7
Epsidufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasethebarber View Post
I think the main advantage to using a casing would be the ability to do a staggered magazine. Paintballs simply aren't strong enough to be loaded like this, but the added rigidity of a casing would make it a real possibility. The magazines would be really wide, but you could always use .50 caliber paint to make it less cumbersome.

The big issue is still feeding/extracting the casings.
Yeah that's what I was thinking about staggering the shells. I hadn't given much though to the ejecting the shells, other than it looking cool. But that would be hard...
Old 01-31-2014, 09:02 AM #8
chasethebarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsidufus View Post
Yeah that's what I was thinking about staggering the shells. I hadn't given much though to the ejecting the shells, other than it looking cool. But that would be hard...
It would be significantly more difficult if you tried to make the external appearance/operation look like a real firearm. Real firearms use insanely high pressures(typically over 20,000psi) to drive their projectiles, and this causes a completely different set of mechanical requirements. In particular, a rigid chamber and a bolt with a long stroke to absorb the excess recoil impulse(assuming we're talking semi/full-auto). Paintball markers don't require either of these, so trying to emulate them makes the mechanism too complicated/inefficient to be practical.

Now, if you simply want a marker that loads and fires a cased round, that's not quite as hard. You could have the bolt go through the shell, then have the magazine spring eject the empty case when the bolt moves to the rear.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:38 PM #9
Epsidufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasethebarber View Post
It would be significantly more difficult if you tried to make the external appearance/operation look like a real firearm. Real firearms use insanely high pressures(typically over 20,000psi) to drive their projectiles, and this causes a completely different set of mechanical requirements. In particular, a rigid chamber and a bolt with a long stroke to absorb the excess recoil impulse(assuming we're talking semi/full-auto). Paintball markers don't require either of these, so trying to emulate them makes the mechanism too complicated/inefficient to be practical.

Now, if you simply want a marker that loads and fires a cased round, that's not quite as hard. You could have the bolt go through the shell, then have the magazine spring eject the empty case when the bolt moves to the rear.
That's along the lines I was thinking