Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-13-2014, 06:26 PM #1
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

omgitiszmd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
omgitiszmd supports Empire
Exclamation Endurance Problem or..?

Ok, so my friend and I have noticed something about my game... I start playing in the beginning of the day and I come out great - shooting everyone, making smart moves, not getting eliminated, getting half the kills each game, etc. But near the end of the day, I start to basically suck... I get shot out early, don't get any kills, etc. I am wondering if I have a endurance problem or maybe I get over confident and a bad mentality... do you guys have any idea what it could be and what could fix it for me? Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by omgitiszmd : 01-13-2014 at 06:35 PM.
omgitiszmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2014, 06:30 PM #2
Cool_Story_Bro

Cool_Story_Bro owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
could be a combination of both. Do you feel fatigued during end of the day points? I think you are the best person to answer your question.
Cool_Story_Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:37 PM #3
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_Story_Bro View Post
could be a combination of both. Do you feel fatigued during end of the day points? I think you are the best person to answer your question.
I don't feel particularly fatigued but I am definitely not as "fresh" as I was at the beginning of the day. I do start breathing heavily during games but I think that is a lot of nerves and being nervous involved... any way to suppress those and not get as nervous? Also, what mentality should I have going in to the game?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:08 PM #4
Kade1012

Kade1012 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
With the information giving id probably say fatigue.
Kade1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:32 PM #5
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kade1012 View Post
So I should just stay hydrated and keep eating throughout the day and of course, workout and do cardio to increase my stamina.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:41 AM #6
Rodinski

Quote:
I'd say the same thing too. But at the same time paintball is a high endurance sport and in order to keep up, you definitely need to keep hydrated and fed. I noticed this a lot during out two 3 hour games at OK D-Day. Poor hydration and I couldn't keep my performance up throughout the day. Eat too much and you end up with nothing but cramps. And on our 8 hour game, yes, it helped out significantly. I was pulling off 15 Km runs, 30m-1h 40 pound weight exercises daily months before the event and it was still tiring. Hydration was key - especially in that heat.

My suggestion would to try endurance training exercises and to maintain 8 bottles of water for your games. If you aren't pissing at the most every hour, you won't be able to last throughout the day. Also, eating protein bars, just as a light snack throughout the event, helps too. It also keeps you from cramping up.
Rodinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:35 PM #7
Kade1012

Kade1012 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitiszmd View Post
So I should just stay hydrated and keep eating throughout the day and of course, workout and do cardio to increase my stamina.
Stay hydrated, eat enough, not to much but enough, work out on cardio occasionally. You don't have to every day ,just work on endurance.
Kade1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:21 AM #8
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Quote:
Stay hydrated, eat enough, not to much but enough, work out on cardio occasionally. You don't have to every day ,just work on endurance.
Would every other day work for cardio? Also, I was thinking that I could run suicides and those kind of things instead of running... I would do that probably every other time I would run so my schedule would be something like this:
Run, Run, Rest, Suicides & Drills (Sliding, Run and Gun, etc.), Run, Rest

Repeat the Cycle
Old 02-04-2014, 02:06 PM #9
kaiyak

Annual Supporting Member
kaiyak owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
kaiyak has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kaiyak has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kaiyak has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Stay hydrated and make sure you eat something prior to your match...Had to play on an empty stomach the other day and was miserable lol. Just as important, make sure you stay focused and breathe. When I let my mind wander or if I get held up on something I did earlier whether good or bad, I tend to play worse. Your cardio might be there, however it's extremely easy to play and forget to breathe (I'm not kidding). Next time you're out there take a second behind your bunker and breathe...you may have not noticed it prior to this but it's a common problem with speedball players haha.

As for suicides they'll help with explosiveness and what not, but don't forget paintball is a full body sport, your upper and lower body (especially you're core) need to be up to par to play at a top level nowadays. Anyway suicides are good to keep up your speed and explosiveness, long distance running would be better for your overall endurance, and a combination of that and the gym would be the best. I actually don't do any cardio (lol) because I play soccer twice/week but I do go to the gym 5 days/week and exhaust my core 3-4/week. I played almost every point in all three series and feel like I got better in the latter two.
Tri-City Legends #8
Collar City Shakedown #8
Brunswick, NY
Tri-City Extreme http://tricityextreme.com/ -enter Legends in the comment field when ordering
Proud member of the 518th Brigade
Proud member of TrashTalk Paintball

Luxe 2.0, Clone GTi, and 2014 Vapor F/S/T http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...009&highlight=

DM14 F/S/T http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post81931321
kaiyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:09 AM #10
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiyak View Post
Stay hydrated and make sure you eat something prior to your match...Had to play on an empty stomach the other day and was miserable lol. Just as important, make sure you stay focused and breathe. When I let my mind wander or if I get held up on something I did earlier whether good or bad, I tend to play worse. Your cardio might be there, however it's extremely easy to play and forget to breathe (I'm not kidding). Next time you're out there take a second behind your bunker and breathe...you may have not noticed it prior to this but it's a common problem with speedball players haha.

As for suicides they'll help with explosiveness and what not, but don't forget paintball is a full body sport, your upper and lower body (especially you're core) need to be up to par to play at a top level nowadays. Anyway suicides are good to keep up your speed and explosiveness, long distance running would be better for your overall endurance, and a combination of that and the gym would be the best. I actually don't do any cardio (lol) because I play soccer twice/week but I do go to the gym 5 days/week and exhaust my core 3-4/week. I played almost every point in all three series and feel like I got better in the latter two.
Alright thank you, I'll try that out and let you know how my next time playing goes!
Old 02-15-2014, 03:54 PM #11
Ryan O'Rourke
H-A-M

Ryan O'Rourke is BST Trusted
Ryan O'Rourke is playing at Living Legends VII
Ryan O'Rourke owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Ryan O'Rourke posts videos on PbNation
Ryan O'Rourke supports Empire
Just my opinion that this is not necessarily fatigue. I had the same problem starting out on fire and then by the end of the day barley making it off break. Ask yourself two questions....

Are you playing the same players all day and are you deviating from your usual gameplan at all?

I'm such a big guy that I only play certain bunkers and eventually the other teams at rec ball and scrims just figure out how to shoot me man. Once I figured that out I started making huge off the break moves to the 50 bunkers and trying out snake side. I don't think fatigue is a factor because you're not the only person who plays paint ball and gets out of breath and I'm sure there are plenty that play at your field way more out of shape than you. Just try switching your game up instead of killing yourself in the gym.

"Originally posted by eforce: Headwraps are no more a part of paintball history than the salty jockstraps worn by random rec ballers in the 90's."
Ryan O'Rourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:18 PM #12
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan O'Rourke View Post
Just my opinion that this is not necessarily fatigue. I had the same problem starting out on fire and then by the end of the day barley making it off break. Ask yourself two questions....

Are you playing the same players all day and are you deviating from your usual gameplan at all?

I'm such a big guy that I only play certain bunkers and eventually the other teams at rec ball and scrims just figure out how to shoot me man. Once I figured that out I started making huge off the break moves to the 50 bunkers and trying out snake side. I don't think fatigue is a factor because you're not the only person who plays paint ball and gets out of breath and I'm sure there are plenty that play at your field way more out of shape than you. Just try switching your game up instead of killing yourself in the gym.
That is my second thought as to why I started sucking... I was too predictable so I started getting shot out. I'll try switching up my game and working out and let you guys know how much it helps
Old 02-20-2014, 03:03 PM #13
wangerinjaw

wangerinjaw plays in the PSP
wangerinjaw plays in the APPA D4 division
Make sure to remember that hydration doesn't start the day you play. It's best to drink a lot of water period, but at least start drinking a lot a couple days before you play, especially if you play events.

Adrenalin Army AA ALL DAY
wangerinjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:00 AM #14
omgitiszmd
Maryland Paintballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangerinjaw View Post
Make sure to remember that hydration doesn't start the day you play. It's best to drink a lot of water period, but at least start drinking a lot a couple days before you play, especially if you play events.
I have been trying to drink a gallon a day for a while but I will definitely keep that in mind.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:11 AM #15
MT26

MT26 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Crossfit has helped me a ton! The added strength training has made the day that much less taxing because the extra strength makes most movements, snake crawling, squatting, snapping, etc feel way less load. So not just a cardio regimen but total fitness.
VForce Grillz
MT26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:42 AM #16
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Also, there isn't just physical fatigue(which will cause you to move slower, even if you don't feel it, your muscles aren't reacting as quickly as they did at the beginning of the day) but you also have mental fatigue.
Also, I'm not sure, but your adrenaline might be running out, however whether you can run out of adrenaline isn't something I can confirm, I'm not really a doctor.
But I digress, mental fatigue is where your brain get clogged up thinking about the other the games you played that day so you can't think about the game you played.
You need to calm down and reboot your brain, to clear out the games that have stacked up and focus entirely on the current game.

How to do this? It's different for everyone. I hear that for some music is a decent way. Either way, you need to disconnect from paintball entirely for a few minutes, so your next game is like a new experience.

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:19 PM #17
Kahanamoku

An alternative theory:

It could be a growth in overconfidence throughout the day. you think you are playing well and begin to take more risks because you are unstoppable - which causes failures. these failures could then compound making you try harder to succeed in the maneuver that you tried causing further failure.