PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-13-2014, 05:17 PM #1
ajmort00

ajmort00 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Stainless steel vs aluminum freak inserts

What's the difference, aside from cost, between the colored aluminum inserts vs the stainless steel ones? Is there some performance benefit?
ajmort00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2014, 05:22 PM #2
dave_zok

dave_zok owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Stainless steel is harder to damage but the real benefit is that SS can be honed to 6 micron so the ball travels better
dave_zok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:25 PM #3
ajmort00

ajmort00 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Sounds like it's def worth the extra 8-10$ per insert.

Thanks!!
ajmort00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:07 PM #4
dave_zok

dave_zok owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmort00 View Post
Sounds like it's def worth the extra 8-10$ per insert. Thanks!!
If you're buying a kit it's $75 vs $109. I think it's worth the additional cost.
dave_zok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:11 PM #5
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
What's the difference, aside from cost, between the colored aluminum inserts vs the stainless steel ones? Is there some performance benefit?
Stainless Steel can be honed a slightly finer state than Aluminum can. As far as inserts go, they are slightly harder to dent as well. Performance wise though, you will probably not notice a difference (I know I didn't).

Annodized Aluminum is actually slightly more resistant to scratching (by a small amount) which could play a roll over time. They are also lighter and cheaper so they would personally be my choice. Just make sure you keep them protected in a case when not using them and take care not to get them damaged/bent. Others will say go with the Stainless Steel for the slightly finer finish which is an OK choice too.

Last edited by Mr. Stealthy : 01-13-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 AM #6
MaG Adrenal1ne
#PlayforPride

MaG Adrenal1ne is playing at Living Legends VI
MaG Adrenal1ne plays in the APPA D4 division
MaG Adrenal1ne supports DLX Technology
Better quality product at a heavier weight. I prefer the SS look in my freak barrel but we all know looks arnt everything!
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
***ONE OF A KIND G6R***
MaG Adrenal1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:44 PM #7
nerve2030

Quote:
Others have mentioned technical benefits but for the practical purpose of guiding a gelatin ball accelerated by air pressure they work the same. The very minor difference in surface finish does not, in my opinion, justify the extra cost.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3912255
nerve2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:25 AM #8
aclarke2000

I just got a stainless steel set and I put the magnet to them and of the 8, three didn't stick to the magnet. They look identical to the ss and are heavy like the ss ones. Any idea what is going on?

I have an aluminum silver color .679 and it is an obvious different metal finish, ink and weight, so I am not confusing the three ss with aluminum ones.
aclarke2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:53 AM #9
prone2wander

I believe the nickel content makes stainless less magnetic. The nickel serves as an anti corrosive and is considered better. I doubt the sourcing for stainless in inserts is all that consistant.

Last edited by prone2wander : 01-26-2014 at 07:51 PM.
prone2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:44 PM #10
nerve2030

Some stainless is mildly magnetic its nothing to worry about.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3912255
nerve2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:16 AM #11
aclarke2000

Hey nerve, thanks for the info. The magnet strength is strong to mild in the first 5, but non existent in the last 3.

Since I got your attention, there are little lines inside of the inserts that I can't clean. Almost like paint was dirty and scratched or maybe that's what happens over time with the inserts? it's polishing the inside feasible or could that damage the insert and best to just leave as-is?
aclarke2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:22 AM #12
MaG Adrenal1ne
#PlayforPride

MaG Adrenal1ne is playing at Living Legends VI
MaG Adrenal1ne plays in the APPA D4 division
MaG Adrenal1ne supports DLX Technology
Mine do the same. NOthing to worry about.
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
***ONE OF A KIND G6R***
MaG Adrenal1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:13 AM #13
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke2000 View Post
I just got a stainless steel set and I put the magnet to them and of the 8, three didn't stick to the magnet. They look identical to the ss and are heavy like the ss ones. Any idea what is going on?

I have an aluminum silver color .679 and it is an obvious different metal finish, ink and weight, so I am not confusing the three ss with aluminum ones.
I buy stainless steel for a manufacturing company. Magnetism can vary from types of stainless steel (201; 304, etc.) and even the same type of steel depending on the manufacturing process (hot or cold rolled). The type and process affect structural integrity and corrosion resistance, and I doubt either of those weigh heavily in the minds of insert manufacturers.

My assumption is the insert manufacturer is buying whichever type of stainless costs less at the time.

Ion: takes a half hour to do easy maintenance and there is a 50% chance it will leak once reassembled.

NT: requires at least a four year degree in metallurgy, physics, meteorology and dark magic to get it to operate.

eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:35 AM #14
RUSSOR

Annual Supporting Member
RUSSOR owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
RUSSOR plays in the APPA beginner division
stainless steel finish is like glass compared to the aluminum..just like a cf ul boomstick...im just bored switching out the barrels and notcing how heavy the freak barrel is compared to a dye ul...so i weighed them, dye ul is 4.7oz....3.8 w the deadlywind whip tip....a ss insert by itself is 1.4oz...the whole freak barrel w ss insert is 6.1oz...im still trying to find an aluminum insert to weigh....i figure a freak barrel w ss insert and deadlywind whip tip is the way to go...i dont even know if they make the tip nemore, hustlepaintball is the only one that hadem and theyre sold out...i had a fibur barrel but it was so ugly i couldnt deal lol...just a straight boring barrel, it just made my guns look terrible....now a sly pro merc is siick too bad its extremely overpriced for just a 689 and a useless 693, id spend 165$ if it came w 3 additional backs

Last edited by RUSSOR : 05-13-2014 at 03:38 AM. Reason: wrote the aluminum instead of ss in a sentence which made the whole difference
RUSSOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:29 PM #15
aimeagle21
I'm kind of a big deal!

Annual Supporting Member
aimeagle21 is a Supporting Member
aimeagle21 plays in the PSP
aimeagle21 posts videos on PbNation
aimeagle21 plays in the APPA D4 division
aimeagle21 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The difference in performance is something you will never notice while shooting paint. All the great benefits of SS over aluminum is all thrown out the window when you figure that you would be very hard pressed to find 20 identical paintball in a case. We're not shooting sniper rifles at a 1000 yards. I have owned both ss and al insert sets and still have the al set. All this technical mumbo jumbo is great and shows some people are to smart for their own good but when it comes shooting a paintball down field it means nothing.

Lesson: Save all your money and buy good paint. Throw out you gsl's and oled luxe and shoot any old $200 gun that has the electronics that can be used w/ today's rules.
Colors Paintball Great Lakes Series
Fierce Photography!
Old style trust

Last edited by aimeagle21 : 05-13-2014 at 03:32 PM.
aimeagle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:32 PM #16
Mr. Stealthy

Your paintball won't notice a difference between the finer honing on the SS inserts vs the Aluminum. As long as it is a decent quality finish, performance will be comparable. A benefit to the SS inserts is they do tend to be a little bit truer to size than their Aluminum counterparts.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:22 PM #17
kingcatnip

kingcatnip owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kingcatnip owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
I could be wrong here but I understand aluminum is more susceptible to expansion and contraction.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:50 PM #18
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcatnip View Post
I could be wrong here but I understand aluminum is more susceptible to expansion and contraction.
Unless you are playing in a furnace or freezer I would not worry about it.

Ion: takes a half hour to do easy maintenance and there is a 50% chance it will leak once reassembled.

NT: requires at least a four year degree in metallurgy, physics, meteorology and dark magic to get it to operate.

eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:08 PM #19
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcatnip View Post
Technically you are correct however without getting into the math around it ill just say that the difference is insignificant with the temperature changes you would be experiencing playing paintball in even the most extremes of weather. It is also not as cut and dry as saying Aluminum vs Steel since it depends a lot on the other properties that the metal is composed of.

Last edited by Mr. Stealthy : 05-14-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:41 PM #20
lungilung

Annual Supporting Member
lungilung owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
lungilung owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
lungilung plays in the APPA D4 division
lungilung owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
The ss inserts are made of copper now, not sure if the old ones were actual stainless steel or not? But current production ones are
Old 05-14-2014, 05:53 PM #21
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungilung View Post
The ss inserts are made of copper now, not sure if the old ones were actual stainless steel or not? But current production ones are
Copper? What are you basing this off of? I have never seen a copper one or anything to indicate this is the case.