Old 01-10-2014, 03:00 PM #64
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Article of faith of course. I mean, this conversation isn't really about man though so that's neither here nor there. when talking about the Christian God, you have to at least accept that the qualities ascribed to him are an accurate representation or the entire thing falls apart rather fast.
That's pretty much what I was getting at. Faith; my main hurdle I just can't accept for such extreme claims.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2014, 03:18 PM #65
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
That's pretty much what I was getting at. Faith; my main hurdle I just can't accept for such extreme claims.
well that's on you, obviously, and seeing as how you have no belief in God as the creator and sustainer of heaven and earth, then there's no reason to expect you would. My point is, if anyone wants to talk about God in a Christian context, then they need to at least entertain the thought that the qualities are accurate, otherwise you can't even talk about it. Again, the faith of people doesn't have a whole lot of bearing on the question of God's goodness, perfection and so on.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 PM #66
Umami
AFK IRL

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Good, bad, perfect, imperfect... they're all human constructs.

What a fruitless argument.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:19 PM #67
Iamamartianchurch

OK Mr. Buzzkillington
Old 01-10-2014, 06:31 PM #68
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
well that's on you, obviously, and seeing as how you have no belief in God as the creator and sustainer of heaven and earth, then there's no reason to expect you would. My point is, if anyone wants to talk about God in a Christian context, then they need to at least entertain the thought that the qualities are accurate, otherwise you can't even talk about it. Again, the faith of people doesn't have a whole lot of bearing on the question of God's goodness, perfection and so on.
Oh, I know. That was definitely more of a tangent than anything else. I'm incredibly bored and haven't had a drink since New Year's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post

What a fruitless argument.
I hate your avvy.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 PM #69
Umami
AFK IRL

Quote:
OK Mr. Buzzkillington

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:35 PM #70
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
1) Did you just presuppose mete-ethical relativism as a fact? And declare anything else "fruitless"? That's bold to say the least.

2) Doesn't this also fall under martian's notion of "entertaining the idea"? The traditional Christian narrative presupposes moral realism. If you aren't willing to begin from that standpoint obviously the conversation is going to be meaningless.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:23 AM #71
Umami
AFK IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
1) Did you just presuppose mete-ethical relativism as a fact? And declare anything else "fruitless"? That's bold to say the least.
Define "fact" for me while we're down here. And I didn't declare anything else fruitless, only that the discussion was fruitless.

Quote:
The traditional Christian narrative presupposes moral realism.
How many people in this sub do you think are aware of this apart from me, you, martian and maybe a couple others?

Last edited by Umami : 01-11-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:09 PM #72
ironyusa
reappropriating resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOldTimer View Post
Murder = the great flood, god murdered nearly the entire population of the planet... accept for Noah's family.

Deceit = god misled Abraham into sacrificing his son Isaac, causing Abraham some serious anguish... all the while, god knew that he would not have Abraham actually go through with the sacrifice.

These are just some quick examples right off the top of my head. You want more examples?
Murder implies an unrighteous cause.

God has tested man's faith in multiple cases, Job perhaps being the most notable.

Neither one of your examples support your claim. Maybe some more would help.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:53 PM #73
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Define "fact" for me while we're down here.
My understanding of truth (a fact simply being those things to which a true statement refers) leans between supervaluationism in a classical context (due to the problem of vagueness) and favor Łukasiewicz (L3 specifically) over Kleene in nonclassical contexts.

I'm not sure how that's relevant here. My point was simply to note that your presumed meta-ethical relativism is far from consensus and in fact lacks both historical and modern support in most theological and philosophical circles. Also, the arguments from respect and disagreement are fallacious and downright silly tbh.

Finally, this has little to do with are argument because the entirety of Christian dogma (which we must presuppose when considering the qualities/actions of God) supports moral realism as far as I can tell (with the exception of perhaps some early gnostics but I don't have the background to answer that).

Quote:
How many people in this sub do you think are aware of this apart from me, you, martian and maybe a couple others?
Very few unfortunately.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:47 PM #74
Umami
AFK IRL

Quote:
I'm not sure how that's relevant here. My point was simply to note that your presumed meta-ethical relativism is far from consensus and in fact lacks both historical and modern support in most theological and philosophical circles.
When you mentioned it the first time I did some reading, that is not the impression I got. Theological circles perhaps, as any theological position seems it would inherently require moral realism.

Quote:
Finally, this has little to do with are argument because the entirety of Christian dogma (which we must presuppose when considering the qualities/actions of God) supports moral realism as far as I can tell (with the exception of perhaps some early gnostics but I don't have the background to answer that).
I'm not particularly interested in storytime, that was my main point with the post you seem to take issue with.

Side note: the level to which philosophers utterly BUTCHER physics is truly painful to read.

Last edited by Umami : 01-11-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:10 PM #75
Iamamartianchurch

It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have a hard on for specialization and actually put effort in producing individuals who are well rounded. Really, what do I know, I'm just a mal adjusted aspie with weight issues.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:19 PM #76
Umami
AFK IRL

The number of philosophers who've drawn parallels between relativity and relativism while completely missing that it is absolutely nothing more than a coincidence of language is utterly astounding.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:32 PM #77
Iamamartianchurch

I'm happy I haven't run into that. Thuper lame.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:41 PM #78
Umami
AFK IRL

My favorites are the ones who invoke quantum without a modicum of mathematical understanding. Everything they say is slightly wrong as a result of that additional degree of separation, since our language and traditional perceptions of the world are ill equipped to handle those ideas.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:38 PM #79
Iamamartianchurch

Sounds like this dude I knew who was OK, then he started doing acid and DMT. Overnight he became amateur Wikipedia philosopher, everything he believed was in some way tied to pop quantum physics. Double slit this, ****ing vision quest that. Thank God he ended up moving to San Fran. Of course, the ONE time I went to San Fran, I was smoking a cigarette outside this random bar we were at and this guy just happens to be walking down the street, notices us and decides to delouse us with his tales of druggery and go nowhere music career. ugh.

Seriously, psychedelic users are some of the worst people on the planet. I mean all the claims about the "ego-shattering" experience come off as "ego-reinforcement" in practice.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 01-11-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:38 PM #80
ironyusa

Quote:
I strongly disagree with this notion.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:42 PM #81
ironyusa

Quote:
My favorites are the ones who invoke quantum without a modicum of mathematical understanding. Everything they say is slightly wrong as a result of that additional degree of separation, since our language and traditional perceptions of the world are ill equipped to handle those ideas.
Ironic because there are many physicists who lack an understanding of the statistical underlayment of their field as well. Particularly those that don't understand the implications of inferential statistics.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:18 PM #82
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
Ironic because there are many physicists who lack an understanding of the statistical underlayment of their field as well. Particularly those that don't understand the implications of inferential statistics.
This didn't work the last time you tried it and butchered it.
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:29 PM #83
ironyusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
This didn't work the last time you tried it and butchered it.
No, you refused to acknowledge fact and were one of the specific ones I had in mind when I made the comment.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:34 PM #84
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
No, you refused to acknowledge fact and were one of the specific ones I had in mind when I made the comment.
That's because you refused to address your flawed understanding of physics and statistics.
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote