Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Should PSP mandate bright-colored shelled paintballs in the PRO division?
YES 579 84.16%
NO 109 15.84%
Voters: 688. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2014, 07:02 PM #64
Nick Brockdorff

has been a member for 10 years
Nick Brockdorff posts videos on PbNation
Not exactly a new idea, but no league has moved on it yet, unfortunately, as it is a great idea.

Eventually, we should also play on dark turf, with a weave type that allows fill to seep into it (so it does not discolor too badly over the duration of an event), and use dark bunkers.

Nick Brockdorff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2014, 07:23 PM #65
Ryn_Droma

Ryn_Droma is playing at Living Legends VII
From a viewer standpoint I think this is a great idea as it's hard to see the lanes through the netting or on the webcast. From a player standpoint, I still think it's a great idea. It is harder to see dark shell paint coming in, but by no means impossible. Experienced players still see it, bright shells wont change anything there. There is really no downside to this if ALL teams are using the same shell color.

Additionally, it would also probably be cheaper for paintball manufacturers. Making all grades of your paint in the same shell and fill color has got to be cheaper than having several different colors. Yellow may not be cheaper than black, but it's got to be cheaper than black, blue, purple, white, silver, green and yellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etek3ego11geo2.1 View Post
Someone told me that the dye paint stopped being manufactured because of the fact that the color of the shell they used was hard for the eye to see how far or close the paint actually was from them. I think this is true and this was a disadvantage from the opponent team.
There is not an ounce of truth to that. If there was, they would have just changed the shell color.
Ryn_Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:43 PM #66
wgp73

Annual Supporting Member
wgp73 is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPumpPlayer View Post
What is every idea followed this logic man? if you wanna cap at 12.5 then fine, why should I? 300fps? maybe for you but I shouldn't have to...

not exactly apples to apples there but consider that black and darker shells are difficult to grow the sport from a spectator perspective, and this simple change can benefit many without hurting anything. Yes, pros will be able to see it easier, but they will ALL be able to so it is an impact that is uniform and fair. I love the idea obviously and the quoted comment bugged me because of course it would need to be a rule, you don't want to put yourself at a disadvantage... It needs to be uniform.
Definitely not apples to apples. 300 fps has been the standard since the beginning of tournament paintball. That is a legitimate safety issue. As far as ROF, I think it should still be one ball per trigger pull! That is my opinion. I don't think the rules should be changed because I have an opinion/preference... As far as growing the sport, I played my first WC in 96. I have been listening to that lame @ss phrase for too long. If you want to grow the sport, get the cost down. Paintball is extremely expensive. Paint, travel, time off work, $2000 for a gun that doesn't shoot that much better than a $500 gun. You want to get paintball on TV. Start with fining players for cursing. Have you heard Oliver Lang talk before a match? Try counting the amount of F-Bombs he uses. Bet you will lose count! Corporate sponsors don't want to hear that nonsense.. Paintball has a lot of issues to fix but yellow balls are not one of them
wgp73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:50 PM #67
buzzin007
IM SHOOTING PEOPLE

buzzin007 supports DLX Technology
Would love to see that
You gas up the marker, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth.. live it.. love it.. Paintball 4 life..

bring pumps http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4285553&highlight=
buzzin007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:13 PM #68
JBalbin94

It'd be a lot easier to make game highlights and call shots. I'd support it. Thumbs up
JBalbin94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:32 PM #69
Hellf1ghter22

The Visibility of the paintball HAS to be increased if the sport is going to be more interesting to the average watcher but bright colors are not enough

Remember back when hockey was really taking off here is the US in the mid 90's and they had that hockey puck that had internal electronics which allowed its position to be tracked for NHL telecasts? Well as technology has progressed over the last while Optical Tracking Software (OTS) has got to the point where they would no longer need the internal electronics to track a puck. In fact I would imagine that it could now be able to track hundreds of objects at once.

My idea is to have every paintball round's trajectory traced on the screen and then slowly fade out over a 1-1.5 second period of time. That way the dumb dumbs could follow what is going on and not be totally lost. Hey, it worked for hockey here in the US. Also, once it caught on they were able to stop it because it was really annoying for anyone who already knew what was going on.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:50 PM #70
AustinHembo
`~`

Annual Supporting Member
AustinHembo plays in the PSP
AustinHembo is reppin' sidebar 4 life
AustinHembo plays in the APPA D4 division
i completely agree
Old 06-22-2014, 09:21 PM #71
98Pro
Asylum 502

98Pro plays in the PSP
98Pro owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
98Pro owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
98Pro plays in the APPA D3 division
Is it not possibly to treat a balls shell with something that can be seen better through a specific lens? Kind of like how a 3D movie is only 3D with the glasses but with a color that can be much brighter/visible with something that high lights the balls through a lens.
"Alright you guys are my ginger crew, you gotta act hard af" - Todd Martinez
Play SEPS!
98Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:27 PM #72
Hellf1ghter22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Pro View Post
Is it not possibly to treat a balls shell with something that can be seen better through a specific lens? Kind of like how a 3D movie is only 3D with the glasses but with a color that can be much brighter/visible with something that high lights the balls through a lens.
Well you can use magnetically charged particles but I still think Optical Tracking Software (OTS) would be the easiest solution.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:46 PM #73
PiggyShark

PiggyShark supports Empire
Great idea! It's simple and can be applied across the board to be fair. As for cursing, I agree that I frown on our pros use of profanity but have you ever heard micced up sport (nfl-mlb-nba) pros? They curse like sailors too.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:53 AM #74
1dayteam120

Annual Supporting Member
1dayteam120 supports Cereal Killerz 2
1dayteam120 donated to help Peyton Trent
1dayteam120 supports Team VICIOUS
1dayteam120 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellf1ghter22 View Post
The Visibility of the paintball HAS to be increased if the sport is going to be more interesting to the average watcher but bright colors are not enough Remember back when hockey was really taking off here is the US in the mid 90's and they had that hockey puck that had internal electronics which allowed its position to be tracked for NHL telecasts? Well as technology has progressed over the last while Optical Tracking Software (OTS) has got to the point where they would no longer need the internal electronics to track a puck. In fact I would imagine that it could now be able to track hundreds of objects at once. My idea is to have every paintball round's trajectory traced on the screen and then slowly fade out over a 1-1.5 second period of time. That way the dumb dumbs could follow what is going on and not be totally lost. Hey, it worked for hockey here in the US. Also, once it caught on they were able to stop it because it was really annoying for anyone who already knew what was going on.
HD may have saved it
2 Cheap Cyborg 6s, Luxe 2.0 FST
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post85931745
Interested in selling an entire gearbag and getting cash now? PM ME I have cash
1dayteam120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:03 AM #75
PsychoFist

Annual Supporting Member
PsychoFist owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
This should definitely be implemented.
PsychoFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:08 AM #76
iTzpinkgodzira
Ride or Collide

i approve this message.
05 Ego - Dark Ego6 - Nexus Ego6 - JT Impulse - Ego9 - Proton - Vanquish 1.5
iTzpinkgodzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:39 AM #77
SouljaboyRI
Keep Calm and Flex On

SouljaboyRI plays in the PSP
SouljaboyRI owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
SouljaboyRI owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
i like this idea
SouljaboyRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:55 AM #78
g3tinmyb3lly

g3tinmyb3lly is playing at Living Legends VII
g3tinmyb3lly owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Imagine if they began making paintballs specifically for pro tournaments that had a reflective surface that could be spotted better by cameras, they could highlight the lanes of paint and make it possible to see where everyone is shooting when viewing on stream/tv.

Maybe I'm crazy, but with all the technology nowadays I doubt it's anywhere near impossible, most likely not economically feasible though. Would definitely be interesting to watch...

Last edited by g3tinmyb3lly : 06-23-2014 at 01:59 AM.
g3tinmyb3lly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:40 AM #79
Wes.Tones
Coloradical

Great idea. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the stat crew. This would make their job 100x easier and probably increase the accuracy of the stats immensely.

Last edited by Wes.Tones : 06-23-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Wes.Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 AM #80
T.Scruggs
Hardwork

T.Scruggs plays in the APPA D4 division
Game changing move, both on the field and off. The change on the field might be why it has not been done yet.

Making the game more digestible for spectators is a great idea!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 AM #81
jjaxx
Sneaky S.O.B.

Yellow shells would be great! It would be alot easier to see what is going on from the stands.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:06 AM #82
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey plays in the APPA D5 division
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by PntBllJnky22 View Post
Disagree
Congrats on hot providing any reason why you disagree.

Overall, especially from a spectatorship standpoint, I think this would be one of the smartest things the league could do. Its hard for spectators, especially ones new to the sport, to see the paint and really understand exactly what is going on down on the field. And its the new people that need to be brought in for the sport to go.

And besides, I miss the neon yellow shells of Chronic.

==========================================
WISCONSIN NAVARONE
2k5'd Timmy FSO - Bring me Xmas funds
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:22 AM #83
cjanderson_90
Hey, my name is Cole.

Annual Supporting Member
cjanderson_90 is playing at Living Legends VII
cjanderson_90 supports Team VICIOUS
I find that out of all my friends, if they dont play paintball, the y have no interest because they dont understand it. A yellow shell would change that.
Also get a fleet of quadcopters and sensors on the bunkers so when someone is in a bunker, a quadcopter comes and hovers above them so you can see where they are shooting. In a perfect world...

INCEPTION KRYPTONITE

Art Of Pump
My guns
Pump Videos!
cjanderson_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:42 AM #84
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey plays in the APPA D5 division
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson_90 View Post
I find that out of all my friends, if they dont play paintball, the y have no interest because they dont understand it. A yellow shell would change that.
Also get a fleet of quadcopters and sensors on the bunkers so when someone is in a bunker, a quadcopter comes and hovers above them so you can see where they are shooting. In a perfect world...
That'd be awesome. Although I suppose you could use the quad's to always know exactly where your opponents are.

WISCONSIN NAVARONE
2k5'd Timmy FSO - Bring me Xmas funds
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote