DevilDog336
Todd Walker #11

Annual Supporting Member
DevilDog336 is BST Trusted
DevilDog336 is playing at Living Legends VII
DevilDog336 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DevilDog336 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Magfed options

I am looking into buying a mag fed gun. I was just wondering how they are doing out there, what platforms perform best, and what not.

Price isn't a big deal, so long as function is there. I'd really like a gun with eyes or a lock back bolt for when the mag is empty.

I've looked at a Tacamo Converted X7 Phenom, Rap4 468, that new Tiberius T15, and the Dye DAM.

Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2013, 01:08 AM #2
scottycms
Pointman

Tacamo mk5 A5 ive heard good stuffs about and my buddy uses one as well. A5 is pretty close to the x7 of course but with as long as the a5 has been out its one of their best selling guns to this day. Sturdy and reliable. Plus theres tons of mods for it.
scottycms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:11 AM #3
scottycms
Pointman

And if you go the DAM route you can flip a switch and have a hopper feed along with your mag. BT also has the DFender which isnt a mag feed but isnt hopper fed either and still allows you to sight/scope your rails without a big hopper in the way
scottycms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:46 AM #4
warrior24
Team Rival

warrior24 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
I would definitely get a Dye Dam if money was no issue, not only is the quality there, but ergonomics are great on it, has all the bells and whistles of a high end gun, but you also have the best mag feed design along with what I think are the best mags in the industry
warrior24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:16 AM #5
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
Other options that are highly functional while being less expensive than a DAM would be the MilSig Paradigm Pro or the TGR2 MK2 from Scarab Arms.

MilSig also has a couple guns that are lower tiers than the Paradigm Pro but are still good. Like the CQB MK3 and the M-Series Elite.

I'm in the same boat. I want to get into magfed but I can't decide what I want to go with.

==========================================
WISCONSIN NAVARONE
Lots of Intimidator Parts F/S
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:44 AM #6
DevilDog336
Todd Walker #11

Annual Supporting Member
I really like that the Rap 4 guns and the Tacamos have a single mag type, and box drum. I could see that being useful at a mag only game in a "oh ****" situation.

The DAM looks good, but I'm not a fan of Dye, and the more I do save, the more gear I can get. Haha.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:46 PM #7
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocker_Monkey View Post
Other options that are highly functional while being less expensive than a DAM would be the MilSig Paradigm Pro
Careful with statements like this. A Paradigm Pro is less than a DAM...$890 to the DAM's $1,300...but you haven't included magazines and since we're talking about getting a mag fed marker, you have to include that.

The Paradigm Pro mags run $35 for a 20 round (non-First Strike compatible) or $40 for a 10 round First Strike Compatible magazine. Compare that to the $10-$12 per mag for the Dye DAM Mags (though they must be bought in pairs). The DAM comes with 2 12 round mags and the Paradigm Pro with one 10 round FS ready mag and one 20 round mag.

So, if you want six mags total for the Paradigm Pro, add another $140 to that cost ($1,030). Of course, that's 5 20 rounds and 1 10 round for First Strikes. If you want 6 of each, add $375 ($1,265). To have 6 12 round (they call them 10s but they hold 12) and 6 20 round mags with a DAM you'd add $115 ($1,415). That's a $150 price difference between both guns each with 6 10-12 round mags and 6 20 round mags.

I got my DAM specifically because I liked the ability to switch between hopper and mag during a game. I play mostly scenario and big games so this option was a real seller for me. If I was looking for purely a mag fed gun, the Paradigm Pro or RAP4 468 would be high on my list as well I just don't like the price they charge you for mags. The 468 has the option for less expensive mags (and thus would probably get my nod). Depending on durability of the mags (and I know the Dye mags are very durable from first hand experiance...ask others who have used the other brands about their durability), you could wind up having the Paradigm Pro cost more than the DAM long term.

Last edited by Robotech : 12-17-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:40 PM #8
warrior24
Team Rival

warrior24 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
He said cost was no concern, get a Dye Dam, ive seen many review on the 468 as my friend originally wanted one, and from a reliability standpoint, you cant beat the Dye Dam, its awesome as a magfed gun, and awesome as a hopper fed gun, get the box mag that comes out in the next few months and you potentially have the very best magfed gun option in the industry. I love the Dye Dam and have nothing but good things to say about it with the exception of air effeciency.
warrior24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM #9
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
I will freely admit that after a couple sour experiences with Dye stuff I try to stay away, but I shouldn't let that affect my recommendations.

The DAM is very cool and implements some neat tech. Just doesn't float my boat personally.

WISCONSIN NAVARONE
Lots of Intimidator Parts F/S
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:21 PM #10
wolf16731

The Tacamo kits now have the Lok Bolt upgrade available and it works very well. Run the Dmags ($50 or so for 10 mags), and you should have a very capable setup that shouldn't be anywhere near as expensive as the high end options. I personally run a Dmagged X7 Phenom and the standard RAP4/Milsig mags in a 98ACT. Both are insanely reliable on the field compared to the horror stories I have heard from others.

If you wanted to do it on the cheap, I would highly recommend finding a used Tippmann A5 and getting the conversion kit for it with Dmags. If you find the right deal, most of the tacticool accessories like stocks, shrouds, etc will already be with the A5 and you should be able to have a full working magfed rig with less than $350 invested. You might even find a few already converted for decent prices too.

The same thing could be done for the X7 Phenom if having a regulator is important to you, as it should be. But keep in mind, there are people that can take an unregulated Tippmann and take guys using high end electros out all the time. Just something to keep in mind. The only reason I recommended the A5 is because to me, the mag release almost seems like a much better idea on it with the MP5 style lever release. Wish they had that for my Phenom..

Also, a Lok Bolt for these guns is just as good as having eyes from what I have seen so far. So I wouldn't let the lack of eyes on these guns wipe them from your future candidates.

Last edited by wolf16731 : 12-17-2013 at 10:26 PM.
wolf16731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:47 PM #11
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Also rap4 have confirmed that the 30rnd Dmags are about to hit retail, which mitigates the main drawback of a twin stack design (15 +15 works out probably about the same as single stack 20 as far as time spent reloading).

Now that the lokbolt is out for the phenom and 30rnd Dmags, it's a great option. I'm seriously considering it.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:30 PM #12
DevilDog336
Todd Walker #11

Annual Supporting Member
Me too man. I've been looking into that option.

I wish PE would come out with a mag fed Etha EMC.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:45 PM #13
Robotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
Also rap4 have confirmed that the 30rnd Dmags are about to hit retail, which mitigates the main drawback of a twin stack design (15 +15 works out probably about the same as single stack 20 as far as time spent reloading).

Now that the lokbolt is out for the phenom and 30rnd Dmags, it's a great option. I'm seriously considering it.
Intersting...some of my team mates have Dmag conversions on their Tippmanns so it will be interesting to see these new mags. I like the idea of 30 round mags.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:09 PM #14
wolf16731

Also, RAP4 is also working on a Dmag Gen2. And a drum mag for FSR.

http://www.x7og.net/magazines/46485-dmag-mk-2-a.html

And a drum mag for FSR.
http://youtu.be/HFe9S2h9sOk?t=3m35s

Last edited by wolf16731 : 12-18-2013 at 05:16 PM.
wolf16731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:43 PM #15
Robotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf16731 View Post
Also, RAP4 is also working on...a drum mag for FSR.

And a drum mag for FSR.
http://youtu.be/HFe9S2h9sOk?t=3m35s
That could really change things if companies start going in that direction. I know I know, FS are soooo expensive but understand there was a time when regular paint was very expensive too...$120+ for a case of paint in 1987 which translates into almost $200 today. And that was for crap stuff. So if people start shooting more FS, and the price comes down and production goes up lowering production costs, it could be a viable alternative to regular paint on a more regular basis...

...might take a while for the shift...but it could happen.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 PM #16
Henchman

Why not start with a Tipx.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:26 PM #17
DevilDog336
Todd Walker #11

Annual Supporting Member
Too simple. I'm not trying to run around as a Lara Croft wannabe.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:35 PM #18
Henchman

Laura croft wannabe?

Hmmm. Not so much.

Last edited by Henchman : 12-21-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Henchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:28 AM #19
DevilDog336
Todd Walker #11

Annual Supporting Member
Lacks firepower. Accuracy by volume.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:34 AM #20
sobersteve323
Budget Baller

sobersteve323 is attending Decay of Nations VII
sobersteve323 supports Empire
Accuracy by volume and mag fed?
sobersteve323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:13 AM #21
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

When running 20 round mags you can afford triple burst, which is essentially the same thing.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote