PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-16-2013, 01:09 PM #1
scottycms
Pointman

Good barrel for a DAM

Im tryin to find a good rifled barrel with a muzzlebreak for an Assault Matrix. I been hearing good things about an Apex 2 but im not sure on that barrel's First Strike capabilities. Somethin like a hammerhead with autococker threads is what im leaning towards but if anyone has had experience with an Apex 2 and knows how well it works with first strike or if it works at all your input would be appreciated.
scottycms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2013, 02:09 PM #2
Waste (Banned)
Pursuit of happiness

Hammerhead barrels are worth picking up if you want to.

Any reason you are wanting to change the stock barrel?
Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:50 PM #3
scottycms
Pointman

Not sure if the UL barrel gives the first strike as much oomph. yea I was thinking hammerhead
Old 12-16-2013, 05:06 PM #4
Waste (Banned)
Pursuit of happiness

After googling for a few minuets rifling seems to be an issue..

I'd link you but it will not let me link to ******

Mod edit - please don't avoid the filter, it's there for a very good reason.

Last edited by Pump Scout : 01-07-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:53 PM #5
scottycms
Pointman

Rifling with the stock barrel?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:03 PM #6
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

has been a member for 10 years
Thought the DAM just had a normal UL in it so it shouldn't be rifled.

I'd avoid rifling unless you're going to shoot first strike exclusively as it tends to shred normal paint and FS out of a smoothbore still retains most of its advantages over a normal paintball.

Last edited by SKI008 : 12-20-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Should != shouldn't.
SKI008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:27 PM #7
scottycms
Pointman

In that case what would.be a good barrel?
Old 12-18-2013, 02:08 PM #8
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
I've had good luck with the Tiberius Arms/Lapco .683 Riffled FSR barrel. The Hammerhead riffled barrels also work well. I believe .686 or .688 are the desired fins for FS rounds with the Hammerheads.

Riffled bores do tend to be tough on paint. I haven't yet found the right combo for my FSR barrel but I've also had a lot of breach breaks from my Rotor pressing a bit too hard on the paint. I have almost a case of paint that should be the right bore size I'm going to test out and see if I can't figure out what the right combo is. You definatly want small paint with the .683 bore barrel though.

With FS rounds, the riffled barrel makes a NOTICIBLE difference in consistancy. So much so I'm trying to find a way to make regular paint will with the riffled barrel and not just sticking with the stock UL barrel.

For smoothbore barrels, the stock UL barrel in the DAM is all you need. You won't find any further improvements from that. If you're just wanting a different length or a different muzzle break, any high quality barrel will work so long as it is available in cocker threads.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:23 AM #9
scottycms
Pointman

Yea I keep hearin the .688 hammerhead is perfect for fs as ive heard smaller have been known to squeeze the fins on the rounds but im thinkin a .688 would be somewhat safer on regular paint and still give the fs that needed bore size. Probably get the hammerhead scenario mofo with battlestik muzzlebreak and a .688 insert. Will see how that goes
Old 12-20-2013, 09:35 AM #10
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
The Apex2 works fine with first strikes. You just have to remember to dial it all the way back when going from regular paint to first strike. It just can't be used to assist the FS rounds in any way. Would only benefit you switching back and forth.

==========================================
WISCONSIN NAVARONE
Lots of Intimidator Parts F/S
Shocker_Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:43 AM #11
Robotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottycms View Post
Yea I keep hearin the .688 hammerhead is perfect for fs as ive heard smaller have been known to squeeze the fins on the rounds but im thinkin a .688 would be somewhat safer on regular paint and still give the fs that needed bore size. Probably get the hammerhead scenario mofo with battlestik muzzlebreak and a .688 insert. Will see how that goes
Like I mentioned, I shoot the Tiberius/Lapco .683 barrel and it works great with FS rounds. My paint breaking issues have been both barrel and loader related but the barrel issue was because of the paint being too large for the bore.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:07 AM #12
splatthetick

Sheeee-it...for the price of the DAM...it should track like Phoenix missile out of the box! I have to upgrade after buying this p8nt slinger? Wow!
splatthetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:14 AM #13
Graebner
Matrix Freak!

Graebner plays in the APPA D4 division
dye or freak kits are great! just match bore to paint :-) easy as one two three
Old 12-23-2013, 05:57 PM #14
Robotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatthetick View Post
Sheeee-it...for the price of the DAM...it should track like Phoenix missile out of the box! I have to upgrade after buying this p8nt slinger? Wow!
For 99% of the folks out there, the stock barrel works great. It's an ultralight after all and is a barrel many folks upgrade TO.

However, for First Strikes, we're finding that riffled barrels work better. This is something that wasn't really in the works when the gun was being developed. What most find though is that if you shoot the riffled barrels, regular paint accuracy drops off a bit. If you're not shooting FS rounds, the stock barrel is as good as you are going to get. If you're shooting FS and regular paint but don't want to compromise regular paint accuracy for FS accuracy, the stock barrel is going to be the best you can get. If you want ultimate FS accuracy (with my .683 barrel I'm making head shots at 100 yards) and don't mind a bit of a drop in normal paint accuracy, then get a riffled barrel.

Mind you, the argument over regular paint accuracy with a riffled barrel is still not decided. Some see no change in regular paint performance with some riffled barrels.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:35 PM #15
scottycms
Pointman

Ive also heard that even though FS rounds maintain uniformity as far as size variances pretty well. They are known to vary even if less so than regular rounds. But theyre not made of the same material as regular rounds do you guys know what variables affect an FS rounds swell/shrink? If any? Because in spring and summer I play in a very humid muggy climate
Old 01-07-2014, 06:13 AM #16
Jase808

Annual Supporting Member
Jase808 is playing at Living Legends VII
Jase808 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Jase808 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Jase808 supports Team VICIOUS
Jase808 supports Team VICIOUS
Jase808 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Jase808 supports Empire
I play in hawaii and do not see much of a change in first strike rounds. I think because they are made from a polymer not a gelatin shell they wouldn't change much in size. Water doesn't effect them my daughter dropped about thirty in the toilet and I had to pull them out and dry them off. Thank god it the toilet only had water in it. I ve shot about twenty of the thirty and have noticed no difference in the rounds.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:18 AM #17
GhostJedai
I push buttons

Annual Supporting Member
GhostJedai is BST Trusted
GhostJedai has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai is attending Decay of Nations VII
GhostJedai supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase808 View Post
I play in hawaii and do not see much of a change in first strike rounds. I think because they are made from a polymer not a gelatin shell they wouldn't change much in size. Water doesn't effect them my daughter dropped about thirty in the toilet and I had to pull them out and dry them off. Thank god it the toilet only had water in it. I ve shot about twenty of the thirty and have noticed no difference in the rounds.
Remind me to never play in Hawaii.... >.<

Though, the puns that can come from that are endless.
Christ Krew #17

GhostJedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:22 AM #18
scottycms
Pointman

Good to know. Yea been doin the research on it some more. Picked up a t9.1 with a lapco fsr barrel from a buddy, I guess the rifling is very slight to the human eye? It looked like a smoothbore when I checked it out unless the rifling is only a subtle swirl. Pretty excited to let a few rounds off with it.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:58 PM #19
Robotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottycms View Post
Good to know. Yea been doin the research on it some more. Picked up a t9.1 with a lapco fsr barrel from a buddy, I guess the rifling is very slight to the human eye? It looked like a smoothbore when I checked it out unless the rifling is only a subtle swirl. Pretty excited to let a few rounds off with it.
Hold it up to a light and you should see the riffling very easily. If not, I'd wonder if it is an FSR barrel. It should be pretty apparent and if you stick your finger down the barrel you should feel them too.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:31 PM #20
GhostJedai
I push buttons

Annual Supporting Member
GhostJedai is BST Trusted
GhostJedai has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai is attending Decay of Nations VII
GhostJedai supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Hold it up to a light and you should see the riffling very easily. If not, I'd wonder if it is an FSR barrel. It should be pretty apparent and if you stick your finger down the barrel you should feel them too.
Robo should know. He's stuck his fingers down plenty of barrels... if you know what I mean...
Christ Krew #17

GhostJedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:32 PM #21
scottycms
Pointman

Well in that case being a lapco fsr barrel its not marked as rifled and i checked in the light and did some fingering. No rifling but no biggie ill probably go snag a rifled barrel here soon. Longest rifled barrels for tib are only lapco? Hammerhead has a 10" with the m50 tip. Tryin to grab a 14 ill have to go with another lapco