Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-20-2013, 12:29 PM #22
Nahib_Stilgar

Air tank faces forward from the bottom of the grip frame!
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:28 PM #23
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Shocker_Monkey is playing at Living Legends VII
Shocker_Monkey has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
Shocker_Monkey is Legendary
Shocker_Monkey is Boss

Like that? What's the point of that? I can't say I've ever seen someone do it that way. (not my pic, just the first one I found)

==========================================
WISCONSIN NAVARONE
Shocker_Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:46 PM #24
Nahib_Stilgar

More like this. Think 12g or small tanks.

Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:40 AM #25
phantomzeke

Annual Supporting Member
1. Not sure where to start (gear, marker, people to play with)
2. Has not the money.
3. I love my 98.
4. Not much of a magfed/milsim presence here.
5. I'm with ShockerMonkey on this, not sure if I want to give up current play methods...although I've made a bit of a start with TiPX...
phantomzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:22 AM #26
Whippertoast

1. Money

That is my only reason for not doing magfed, as soon as I have the money, I'll definitely look in to it.

For all those people who are worried about people with full auto guns and 260 round spires, most seasoned magfed people say they can deal with those people pretty well.

Magfed definitely takes more skill and marksmanship, so it isn't such a good idea to get one right off the bat, but when you eliminate someone with a magfed gun you'll have better feeling of accomplishment.

Also, when playing magfed you are going to use very little paint, so perhaps that will offset the cost of magazines and markers etc.

I remember the first time I played paintball I was using a rental 98 and I had a pretty slow trigger finger. I was against some seasoned speedball guys who all had nice gear. I shot maybe 40 times and eliminated 2 people and managed to stay in to the end. You see? Magfed doesn't put you at a distinct disadvantage. In fact I would say you are given the advantage sometimes.

-Spend less money on paint
-No hopper to get in your way or be hit by paint
-Ability to use First strike rounds
-Look 5x cooler (Mind you, speedball guns have their own kind of cool, especially the nicely anodized ones)
Whippertoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:36 PM #27
martix_agent
I'm out of creativity

Annual Supporting Member
martix_agent is playing at Living Legends VII
martix_agent is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocker_Monkey View Post

Like that? What's the point of that? I can't say I've ever seen someone do it that way. (not my pic, just the first one I found)
So you can use the stock. duh! Everyone knows about the advantages that a stock has over a tank.
martix_agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:24 AM #28
Jacenator
destraction

Jacenator owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Jacenator has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
1.Price: going to college, paying for gas, and cost of living doesn't give me a lot of room to put toward something like this from a retail job.

2.location: North-western Mississippi has only one alright paintball field. No big events or anything. the closest event for me is 6-8 hours away. It would do well to put a large facility here that people could go to to have big events. A lot of people play, but have no where to go. Even less so for mag-fed.

3. Verstility: not many mag-feeds can swap to hopper fed so that you can play with other hopper fed/full auto people. So you would need to own another gun.

4. Capacity: Quite simply, the lack of a box magazine. Say you needed surppresive fire or had to go toe to toe with a hopper user. You could just smack a box mag in and have at 'em. even saving your first strikes for the 20 rounds and loading pods into your box mag.

5. variety: they all start to look the same after a while. Oh, another M4...yippee. There needs to be more designs, such as an m14, LMGs, bolt actions that load first strike, SMGs, or even a bull-pup.

Those are the main ones that comes to mind now but I do have a side note.

6. Entry Level: A cheap, mechanical gun without many features that someone could use to cheaply, yet effectively, test out mag-fed paintball. Kingman/Spyder has already taken the lead on marker price with the mrx and mr5, while Rap4 has taken the lead on magazine price with their D-mags.

If you could combine the best of all worlds with a cheap, simple, m14 styled marker I would be on it faster than white on rice. If I like it, I would then move on to buying something bigger that could use a box mag.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to the players. Shows that this company is a cut above the rest.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:44 AM #29
CrazyHarry
Evil Genius

CrazyHarry is playing at Living Legends VII
CrazyHarry has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CrazyHarry has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
CrazyHarry supports Empire
1) Lack of crossover compatible markers (not enough markers that can switch from hopper fed to magazine fed on the fly).
2) I don't want to pay for a low end marker in a milsim shell (see proto rail in a DAM, inline blowbacks in most other markers).
3) Mag fed manufacturers are afraid of electronics. Only one marker with eyes? Seriously?
4) Don't understand some of the mag fed mindset. A phantom isn't a mag fed marker, but a DAM with a box mag (that can be reloaded with pods) is? Are you kidding me?
5) Lack of cross platform compatible magazines. Why should I have to buy 10 mags for each different marker, when I can shoot as many hopper fed markers as I want off the same loader? If hopper fed paintball manufacturers can get together and come up with some standards, why can't mag fed manufacturers?

Bonus reasons:
1) rails are too difficult to clean, properly.
2) markers are too heavy (and I don't like running with a remote)
3) cost of changing out all my pod holders with mag pouches

Geisterjager CO
CrazyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:07 AM #30
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHarry View Post
1) Lack of crossover compatible markers (not enough markers that can switch from hopper fed to magazine fed on the fly).
2) I don't want to pay for a low end marker in a milsim shell (see proto rail in a DAM, inline blowbacks in most other markers).
3) Mag fed manufacturers are afraid of electronics. Only one marker with eyes? Seriously?
4) Don't understand some of the mag fed mindset. A phantom isn't a mag fed marker, but a DAM with a box mag (that can be reloaded with pods) is? Are you kidding me?
5) Lack of cross platform compatible magazines. Why should I have to buy 10 mags for each different marker, when I can shoot as many hopper fed markers as I want off the same loader? If hopper fed paintball manufacturers can get together and come up with some standards, why can't mag fed manufacturers?

Bonus reasons:
1) rails are too difficult to clean, properly.
2) markers are too heavy (and I don't like running with a remote)
3) cost of changing out all my pod holders with mag pouches
Sort of sounds to me like you really just aren't interested in trying out MagFed. Which is totally fine. "To each, his own" and all that.

WISCONSIN NAVARONE
Old 12-23-2013, 01:11 PM #31
Cdn_Cuda
Balls to You!

Cdn_Cuda owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
1) Cost of mag-fed markers
2) Complete change of gear to accommodate mag use (again more $$$)
3) Concerns about ball breaks in mags
4) Markers looking too close to real firearms
5) Extra time necessary to load mags in-between games.

Taken my first steps to magfed with a T8.1 but hit the field only a few times a year, so it's a slow process.
Cdn_Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:37 PM #32
milsigcanada
MILSIG Industries

Annual Supporting Member
milsigcanada works for a Paintball manufacturer
Hey CDN,

Your comment in number #4 is quite interesting, and maybe even a little bit contrary to what my own personal views over magfed markers.. My thoughts were people wanted "realism" whereas yours is.. it's too close to comfort?

That's a very interesting perspective, thank you for providing your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn_Cuda View Post
1) Cost of mag-fed markers
2) Complete change of gear to accommodate mag use (again more $$$)
3) Concerns about ball breaks in mags
4) Markers looking too close to real firearms
5) Extra time necessary to load mags in-between games.

Taken my first steps to magfed with a T8.1 but hit the field only a few times a year, so it's a slow process.
milsigcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:53 PM #33
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
1. Price, especially on mags. I could drop $300 to $400 on a gun, but another $200 on accessories and extra magazines.
2. Lack of different styles. It's all AR-15's/M16/M4's. Nothing fun. If they released a bullpup like a F2000 or something else fun I'd be more down.
3. Lack of stats/reviews. I can't get very much info on magfed guns, like efficiency, reliability, etc. I also can't find many reviews on the guns (actual, 3rd party reviews, not demo reels).
4. Fields not allowing people to BYOP smaller calibers. I would be more willing to try magfed if I could bring my main gun, a sidearm, and a grenade launcher with .43 cal paint in it, to offset the ROF disadvantage.
That's it.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:40 PM #34
Diomedes
Nerd

Diomedes is playing at Living Legends III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocker_Monkey View Post

More like this:

Small tank. Great balance, tighter play. After a few months with a PGP, I couldn't deal with stuff in my shoulder (tank or stock), so I turned my ASAs around.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My PBN feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:08 PM #35
Shocker_Monkey
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
More like this:

Small tank. Great balance, tighter play. After a few months with a PGP, I couldn't deal with stuff in my shoulder (tank or stock), so I turned my ASAs around.
Thanks. I guess I've never played without some thing in my shoulder. Might have to try that some day

WISCONSIN NAVARONE
Old 12-25-2013, 04:18 PM #36
Cdn_Cuda
Balls to You!

Cdn_Cuda owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by milsigcanada View Post
Hey CDN,

Your comment in number #4 is quite interesting, and maybe even a little bit contrary to what my own personal views over magfed markers.. My thoughts were people wanted "realism" whereas yours is.. it's too close to comfort?

That's a very interesting perspective, thank you for providing your feedback!
Too close for comfort in a way. Having markers that look like real firearms leads to perception problems with the general public (ie they think they are real weapons) and may be a barrier from getting young new players involved in the sport.

I fully understand that mag fed tends to focus much more on milsim and thus having more realistic markers, but it 's just not appealing for me. From my limited understanding airsoft tends to focus on realism and can be much more affordable than paintball. (I have never played airsoft, but this is my perception)

Personally, my interest in mag fed paintball is the limited ammo and challenge aspect. I could care less if my marker looks like any real firearm and actually prefer it doesn't. As long as it is functional and comfortable. I have never been one to add accessories just to improve the looks of my markers. Scopes, sights, shrouds just aren't my cup of tea. I understand that many people are interested in the realism aspect though. This is simply just my opinion.

I think the key to expanding mag fed use is to try to standardize mags and lower the price point of the markers. There is no particular reason mag feds need to be purely milsim either, so start looking at some varieties in design.

Last edited by Cdn_Cuda : 12-28-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Cdn_Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:18 PM #37
phantomzeke

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn_Cuda View Post
Personally, my interest in mag fed paintball is the limited ammo and challenge aspect. I could care less if my marker looks like any real firearm and actually prefer it doesn't. As long as it is functional and comfortable. I have never been one to add accessories just to improve the looks of my markers. Scopes, sights, shrouds just aren't my cup of tea. I understand that many people are interested in the realism aspect though. This is simply just my opinion.

I think the key to expanding mag fed use is to try to standardize mags and lower the price point of the markers. There is no particular reason mag feds need to be purely milsim either, so start looking as some varieties in design.
You sir, I like the way you think. Have my like! That is a perfectly valid point and one I share to an extent. I like the thought of the challenge, the limited ammo, NOT having a hopper in my way...also helps those scenario players who are left handed, don't want a tournament style marker (e.g. Victus, DM14, etc) and don't want to have to deal with a predominately right-handed marker market. Having that hopper in your way sucks and trying to shoot right handed when you aren't also sucks, so says my ex anyway lol.

To go with that, standardized mags and a lower price point, at least on some milsim would help raise interest in it. I haven't done much research on the market yet beyond purely cosmetic searching but the lowest price I've seen on a milsim marker yet probably wasn't less than $250 if not $300 outright. Now I'll be honest, none of my markers except my second was anything close to brand new and even that was $200 even and it's a good reliable marker that I've been using for almost 3 years now I think. I've several, even one that is technically better than my beloved 98 (A5) but nothing yet has felt or worked better for me. It's not quite milsim but I like it and it didn't cost $3-400 just to get started. Honestly I probably paid 50 for my first marker (MR1) and it was more than enough to get me rolling. I've been hooked ever since. Anyway, long winded rant aside, coming out with a milsim that was low enough for poor misers like myself to get started and mags that worked with any magfed rather than specific ones would definitely help the market and interest. Not to mention need more magfed events~! Unfortunately there are none in my local area, much less paintball. Woe is me and all... lol.
phantomzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:21 PM #38
Riddler236

Riddler236 is a founding member
not for me...

1) no interest in playing army man dress up.
2) no interest in markers that are bigger, heavier, more unwieldy and awkward to shoot than their traditional counterparts in the name of trying to look "real."
3) no interest in markers that are very often disproportionately priced to the level of craftsmanship and performance they offer.
4) no interest in markers that seem to have a host of problems feeding and shooting quality paint reliably without breaks, especially if they're limited paint markers.
5) no interest in markers that have no soul, passion or rich paintball heritage.
Riddler236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:44 PM #39
Savage Mikey

1. Cost, the mags add up and the soft gear needed to carry them.
2. Not many mag-fed players in this area...but its slowly changing.
3. Lack of efficiency on current mag-fed guns compared to speedball type guns.
4. Jams/chops are more likely using a magazine system
5. Seems to be always some key element on a mag-fed marker that is lacking...and this is across all brands. Some have great consistancy but lack a round chamber window, others have around chamber window but lack consistancy. Some have tons of upgrade options for furniture but poor quailty over all, some are high quality but little in the way of furniture compatibility.

Despite these issue keeping me from buying a mag-fed gun currently, the biggest being cost I will find away around the rest. I'll probably have to weight the pros/cons of each marker on the market. In the end ill probably get a para pro or similar model...but the cost will no doubt delay that.
Savage Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:05 PM #40
[nK]Sharp

1. My personal lack of money
2. Nobody I know plays woodsball
3. Heavier compared to speedball guns
4. Would like to see more diverse set up of markers. Most look like ar15s.
5. I work all the time and rarely get to play paintball anymore.

Hopefully I get this new job I applied for since I would have both more money and time to start playing paintball again. Sold my DSG (pump shotgun) just to pay for a down payment on a car.
[nK]Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:10 PM #41
pepper_pb

Wink my 5 reasons

1) cost (although the new paradigm pro isn't too high)

2) the thought of being blasted with 200 rounds by my 12 year old son as I grab for next mag

3)being disowned by my ultra religious in-laws for my lack of prayer ('cause the only praying I ever do is praying n spraying)

4) I haven't seen or heard of any local MFOG unless I hop on a ferry to the mainland

5)'cause I can already hear the wife, "Oh my God Sean! you bought another one!!!"

side note for reason 3: maybe I can explain magfed is about faith, in the marker and my marksmanship

sidenote for 5: I can tell wife about all the savings in shooting less paintballs
pepper_pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:55 AM #42
oneidentiti
Umass Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
oneidentiti plays in the PSP
oneidentiti is an NCPA player
oneidentiti plays in the APPA D4 division
1. Mag fed markers are a lot of money
2. I play back line and I love shooting streams of paint and watching it hit nothing
3. Idk any field that has a magfed series
4. Hard to get anybody I know to join me playing magfed
5. And finally because I know I'll miss walking onto the field w/ a case of paint in my pod pack too much
oneidentiti is offline   Reply With Quote