BOOBY GT FOUNDER

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al donated to help Peyton Trent
f8al owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
f8al owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
f8al posts videos on PbNation
f8al supports our troops
GI Sportz Pulse RDR Overview & Comparison

We were fortunate enough to get some Pulse RDR loaders from GI Sportz, and have been well aware there are a lot of questions surrounding the loader and how it stacks up to the competition in terms of size/weight/profile etc. In an effort to answer as many questions as possible surrounding this sure to be hit loader, we have taken many pictures and compared them to the competition (Rotor/Spire/Z2). If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask and we will do our best to accommodate them.

An overview video is coming, but I wanted to get these images up in the mean time to appease some people that I have kept waiting

Unboxing:
The Pulse RDR and Pulse RDR Ready (non-chrono version) come in a nice cardboard box with a support piece to keep the loader in place inside. The lid flips open to unveil the contents of the box. Upon taking the Pulse RDR out of the box it was immediately noticed how durable and solid the loader feels in the hands. The lid system feels solid and the spring has a good amount of tension to it, a bit more then the Rotor but not as much as the Spire. The tray slides out via a simple push button latch system and is very easy to do. The paddle assembly is a 3 finger as opposed to a 2 finger shown in the demo models and some beta models similar to what Nick Slowiak of Houston Heat used at World Cup. The speed feed (in my opinion) leaves a little to be desired, but is a nice touch as it is one of the more common points of complaint when a new loader comes out. In all fairness I am sure the major companies (Exalt/Virtue/HK) will make a speed feed in the near future so this one will more than serve the need in the mean time. The speed feed is installed by removing screws on the inside of the shell and dropping the lid down. The inclusion of additional screws is a nice touch as they are typically easily lost when at the field or at an event in the heat of the match. The chromo unit weighs next to nothing when removed from the tray. It slides in to place via a track and a 4 prong plug on the left hand side of the tray/unit. It is very easy to remove and install on a whim if an end user should so choose to do so.

Contents:
• Pulse RDR
• Pulse Speed Feed
• Spare Shell Screws
• Speed Feed Cover Piece

Last edited by f8al : 01-24-2014 at 03:31 PM.
f8al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2013, 06:49 PM #2
f8al
BOOBY GT FOUNDER

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al supports our troops
Side Profile Comparisons:

We placed the Pulse, Rotor, Z2, Spire and Spire 260 on a stand and used a tripod mounted camera to ensure that the shot was from the same angle, height and direction. As we can see it from the side (and back as well) it looks very similar in profile to the Rotor. It does appear that it will rest a bit lower on a marker than the Rotor or Z2, but not as low as a Spire/Spire 260.

Rear (Shooter) Profile Comparisons:

We rotated the stand and took the same shots again from the back of each loader to see what it would be like for the user while in play. Again it looks very similar in profile to the Rotor and is close to the Spire 260.

Mounted Comparisons - Side Profile:

Last edited by f8al : 12-11-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:49 PM #3
f8al
BOOBY GT FOUNDER

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al supports our troops
Mounted Comparisons - Rear Profile:

Mounted Comparisons - Front Profile:

Weight Comparisons:

A biggest point of complaint for a lot of players is the weight of the loader. While I will never understand why, it's something that needed to be addressed when looking at the loader. Below are images of each loader on the scale WITH batteries in them. It should also be noted that the Pulse and Z2 take 4 AA batteries while the Rotor and Spires take 3 AA's.

Last edited by f8al : 12-11-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:49 PM #4
f8al
BOOBY GT FOUNDER

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al supports our troops
Boot Up, Menus and Programming:
In this video we run through the boot up screen on the Pulse RDR as well as the menu system and each parameter that is associated with it. Apologies for the slight blurriness as I thought I had my SLR in focus. Hopefully I can explained everything well enough so that I compensate for the lack of clarity, but please ask if you have any questions.

Pulse RDR Chrono vs Virtue Clock and Speed Test:
In this video we compare the Pulse RDR's chronograph against a Virtue Clock to see how accurate it is. As you can see it is relatively close to what the Clock reads out at and in our opinion would be acceptable as a baseline for a reading ,especially since chronographs can vary from model to model or even Clock to Clock (for example). We also used a SL8R (readily accessible marker capable of well over 20bps) set to uncapped ramping to see how well the Pulse can keep up and to see if it will jam up at all. Again please feel free to ask any questions if we did not cover something.

Last edited by f8al : 12-11-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:49 PM #5
f8al
BOOBY GT FOUNDER

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al supports our troops
Stock Speed Feed Installation/Loader Disassembly:
The Pulse RDR (and presumably the RDR Ready) comes with a speed feed in the box. In an effort to be completely transparent I DO NOT think this is a great speed feed (HK Epic and SF Crown user) but I greatly appreciate the efforts GI Sportz has taken to supply a speed feed to initial adopters of their loader as it is always a topic of complaint for customers having to wait. The loader does disassemble quite easily, basically as easily as the Spire but not quite as easily as the Rotor. The speed feed installs quite easily and should be relatively easy for aftermarket companies to manufacture an alternative option for the Pulse. GI Sportz has also included a bag of screws in case you should happen to lose/drop one when installing or removing the speed feed. Also another notable feature in the loader is the inclusion of a adhesive backed foam ramp that I did not initially notice. It is my assumption that this was done in an effort to help reduce ball breaks in the loader when diving or running around, but again that is just MY guess so I could very well be wrong.

1. Shown here are all the pieces you will need to disassemble the Pulse loader and install the speed feed if so desired. Note the bracket piece below the speed feed in the picture. This will take the place of the mounting bracket for the lid mechanism (see pictures below).

2. There are 2 screws that hold the top shell in place with the bottom shell. The 2 open screw holes are there for when a user wants to use the speed feed and not needed when using the stock lid.

3. There is also a lip and hole opening to keep the two halves mounted together. There is also fingers that are a secondary securing device as well as the mounting for the Ring Kits that will expand the capacity of the Pulse when they are released.

4. Here you can see the aforementioned foam ramp. The foam does have a decent amount of give to it for padding, but is also firm enough to provide the needed inclination to feed the paintballs in the nose towards the feeding tray.

5. On the inside of the upper shell piece you can see where the lid mechanism mounts (center of image) and where the extra screw holes for the speed feed are (recessed holes upper left corner). The 3 screws remove to allow the lid and bracket to be removed as one piece (see following images).

6.The lid and bracket come out as one piece by sliding it toward the rear of the shell. This is genius in my eyes as it makes for far less hassle when reinstalling a lid if ever desired.

7. The mounting bracket for the lid assembly.

8. The cover piece installs to cover the opening left by the lid mounting bracket. Only the forward most screw is used to hold this piece in place as the other 2 screws are used to secure the speed feed when installed.

9. Final installation of speed feed and finished product.

Last edited by f8al : 12-12-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:57 PM #6
Smoothieblit
Trusted eBayer

Smoothieblit owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Smoothieblit owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Smoothieblit supports DLX Technology
Smoothieblit supports Empire
Thanks man, I am sure we all appreciate it

Pawn Shop With Great Prices HERE!
Smoothieblit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:08 PM #7
f8al
BOOBY GT FOUNDER

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al supports our troops
No problem at all sir! Please feel free to post any questions so I can cover them in the thread and/or video!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:07 PM #8
mnproref
Lakeville Ambush

mnproref owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
mnproref has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mnproref has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Operating sound/loudness comparison to Rotor/Spire?

mnproref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:55 AM #9
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Thanks bud - mine hasn't come into the UK stores yet...

One thing; the main black body of the hopper and the grey back part - doesn't seem to flow together - looks like there is a gap between the two, so not easy to wipe down.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:39 AM #10
f8al
BOOBY GT FOUNDER

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWayz View Post
Thanks bud - mine hasn't come into the UK stores yet...

One thing; the main black body of the hopper and the grey back part - doesn't seem to flow together - looks like there is a gap between the two, so not easy to wipe down.
No problem at all, happy to help. I am updating the thread now and making a video once my employee gets in for the day.

If you are referring to the part where the tray meets the body you are correct then. There is a gap in the tray where the shell nests in to which seems like it was done for reinforcement. I like the idea, but agree it looks odd at first.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 AM #11
Smoothieblit
Trusted eBayer

Smoothieblit owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Smoothieblit owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Smoothieblit supports DLX Technology
Smoothieblit supports Empire
Damn, that rdr is near the weight of a mini, Ill stick to my spire

Pawn Shop With Great Prices HERE!
Smoothieblit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:16 PM #12
f8al
BOOBY GT FOUNDER

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al supports our troops
All images have been posted that have been asked for. I thought of a few that need to be taken as well in addition to making the video.

More updates to come!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:51 PM #13
Killer Carton
Give'm Welts

Annual Supporting Member
Killer Carton has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Killer Carton has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Thanks f8al
Killer Carton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:04 PM #14
4leaf4life
WHAMMY

4leaf4life is a Professional paintball player
4leaf4life works for a Paintball manufacturer
4leaf4life plays in the PSP
4leaf4life posts videos on PbNation
4leaf4life plays in the APPA Pro division
4leaf4life is Legendary
4leaf4life supports DLX Technology
Nice
4leaf4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:31 PM #15
f8al
BOOBY GT FOUNDER

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al supports our troops
Thanks Nick!

Videos have been posted and more images are coming to illustrate how the loader is completely disassembled and how the speed feed is installed.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:08 AM #16
WildWayz
The Moose God

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Great work!

As mentioned in a PM, if you could test with different length barrels, that would be great!

Videos are very good - thanks again
Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 AM #17
I'm_Addicted
snowman FTW

I'm_Addicted owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Great review. Your facility looks awesome as well.
I'm_Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:24 PM #18
NJEmortal
The i3 Guy

Annual Supporting Member
NJEmortal is BST Legit
NJEmortal posts videos on PbNation
Thank you, the photos were very helpful
NJEmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:25 PM #19
applebutt89
Been here since 04

Annual Supporting Member
applebutt89 plays in the PSP
applebutt89 supports Team VICIOUS
applebutt89 plays in the APPA D3 division
applebutt89 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
applebutt89 is Legendary
applebutt89 supports DLX Technology
Good write up
Baltimore Trauma Fan #655
applebutt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:23 PM #20
f8al
BOOBY GT FOUNDER

f8al plays in the PSP
f8al supports our troops
Thread has been completely updated with all pictures I have taken. I have a request to test the chronograph in the Pulse with some different length barrels as it is suspected that makes a difference so I will start working on that. Please post up or PM me any requests you may have and I will do my best to accommodate them!
Old 12-12-2013, 02:33 PM #21
4leaf4life
WHAMMY

4leaf4life is a Professional paintball player
4leaf4life works for a Paintball manufacturer
4leaf4life plays in the PSP
4leaf4life posts videos on PbNation
4leaf4life plays in the APPA Pro division
4leaf4life is Legendary
4leaf4life supports DLX Technology
The difference between the readings on a virtue clock and the pulse is based on where the readings come from.

Chris from Virtue explained it to me. He said that the chronos read the fps about 2-3 inches in front of them. This is why the Pulse is a little faster as the ball is still in the barrel as apposed to just leaving the barrel, the Virtue Clock.
4leaf4life is offline   Reply With Quote