PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-17-2013, 07:14 PM #64
Shawn*Walker

Answers to questions:

1. How will cash prizes be guaranteed?

What do you mean by this? I have always paid out all cash prizes advertised on any event I have ever ran. If your asking because the NPPL didn't pay out all the cash prizes in HB last year, that was a different company not in my control.

2. How will divisions fill up with enough teams to run properly?

I can't control this. All we can do is put out a fair entry fee and run a good event. I hope players and teams will come and we will do our best to promote and advertise. But ultimately the teams will decide. This is one of the reason we did the cash bonus, to reward the divisions that have more teams with more prizes.

3. How will the integrity of the pro division be preserved?

Again, I'm unclear what you are asking. Are you saying that some of the Pro teams don't deserve to be Pros? I think that's rough. I think being able to climb the ladder and become a Pro team is what makes our sport great. PSP does this also with their Challengers division. They started this year with 5 top Div 1 teams in the division and allowed them to fight to get to the top, but they still were considered Pro just by registering. I don't think that's any different than the NPPL/APL Pro teams. Teams that have the backing and want to compete at the top can have the opportunity to do so.

4. How will this league be developed in a way that helps the industry rather than trying to shave off a few teams from the PSP for bare survival? The divisional structure and 5-man format make it pretty obvious whose market you're trying to reach into.

I would argue that people that are interested in playing in the APL are 5-player teams. I believe across the nation that 5-player is the preferred format. Every field I talk to play a version of 5-player. For every one team that can afford to play in the PSP there at least 20 teams that can't. Those are the teams we want to give an opportunity to play at a National event.

5. What can you tell us about the APPA knockoff attempt?

Not much to say on this. We couldn't come to terms with the APPA 7 years ago so we had to do our own system. Although there were similarities between the systems, how can there not be? There is only so many ways you can get a player membership card and register a team. IDPro was actually based on a system I purchased from Dan Bonebrake called IPPI. We used IPPI for Great Western Series, Pan Am and the first few years of the XPSL. Then we tried to work out an agreement with APPA and couldn't so we developed the IDPro based on the system we already owned, IPPI.
Shawn*Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2013, 03:06 AM #65
edek1

Nice answers Shawn.

Good luck with spreading Millennium in the US. Make it count
edek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:01 PM #66
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
I also prefer to handle things like an adult, and certainly prefer not to handle them in public - which is why I was surprised when you posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Walker
As far as using APPA or not. I too agree that the APPA has done a great job of keeping track of our industry. I also agree that pride and history shouldn't play a part in the decision to use the system or not.

To that end we reached out to the APPA in an effort to secure their services for the APL. They have said that as of now they will not allow us to use the APPA system for the APL.

It's obviously their prerogative to choose who they work with and who they don't. The APPA is a business and they need to make business decisions that they feel are best for their company.

I think it would have been great to have our whole industry on one ID system but I can't force the APPA to allow us to use the system. That's got to come from them.
Now, you were definitely pretty slick about it, but you basically blamed the situation on pride and some sort of prerogative we maintain to willy-nilly deny leagues use of the system based on unexplained "business reasons". Neither of these is the case.

You also said you wanted to see the industry on one system, when the last time you were given an opportunity you specifically chose to "create" a separate system.

You could have just said that you would not be using the system, or that you would not be using the system as the result of a disagreement over the outcome the last time you were given an opportunity to use the system, and I wouldn't have had anything to say. But you didn't.

I want to be absolutely clear that this situation is very specific to this promoter. Any new promoter is welcome to use the APPA system, but if a promoter abuses access to the system, then we obviously are not going to be able to continue to do business with that promoter. In that case, we will provide that promoter with a copy of their data and move on. In the 12 years I've been doing this, that's only happened once.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:04 PM #67
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
I also want to be clear that similarities between the IDPro system and APPA were not coincidental nor a result of there only being a limited number of ways to do a particular task.

Old map makers used to put small mistakes in their maps so that if someone copied them, they would know, based on the presence of the same errors in the copied map, that it was their map that had been copied. While I certainly didn't intentionally put mistakes into APPA, I definitely made some pretty glaring design errors when I first built it.

Those have since been fixed, but it was telling to see the same errors we had made duplicated in the ID Pro system.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:39 PM #68
Shawn*Walker

Doesn't seem to be anything here I need to respond to. I think everything has been said.

Let's get the season started!!!!
Shawn*Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:55 PM #69
contract*killa
MASS Media

contract*killa posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn*Walker View Post
Doesn't seem to be anything here I need to respond to. I think everything has been said.

Let's get the season started!!!!
contract*killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:10 PM #70
DJ Paris_82
Professional Photographer

Annual Supporting Member
DJ Paris_82 is a Paintball photographer
DJ Paris_82 supports Team VICIOUS
DJ Paris_82 posts videos on PbNation
DJ Paris_82 is Legendary
DJ Paris_82 supports Empire
Interesting.
DJ Paris_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:29 PM #71
SDL2
gO fOrward withOut fear.

Well done chris. THE TRUTH WILL SET ALL US FREE
SDL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:28 AM #72
taswid
OG

taswid plays in the PSP
taswid supports Team VICIOUS
taswid supports Team VICIOUS
Chris is such a tool .. It's sad he has some say in this sport.
2010 GFOA SEASON OPEN DIV CHAMPS (5-1ST)
2011 PSP D3 WORLD CHAMPS
2011 PSP D3 SEASON 3RD
2013 NPPL D2 CHAMPS
taswid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:52 PM #73
walpatal22
STRENGTH & HONOR

Annual Supporting Member
Good luck, I can only imagine how hard it is to start a new league. Competition is good for everyone, it's what drives America and ultimately leads to a better product.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:31 AM #74
Chex5
All I Do iS F-ING WIN!!!!

Chex5 plays in the PSP
Chex5 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Chex5 donated to help Peyton Trent
Chex5 plays in the APPA D2 division
Shawn keep that"A Hole " Dan from the NPPL off your staff and I will support your league that guy has a long line of players that want to punch him in the face and rip out his gay little earring. This isn't a joke I'm serious he is the most disrespectful POS. Other then that I'm happy to see another league

Mile High Saints NPPL
Blitz Paintball
American Paintball Coliseum
Chex5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:00 PM #75
Mack99
Fury #55

Mack99 plays in the PSP
Mack99 helped look for balloons
Mack99 is playing at Living Legends VI
Mack99 plays in the APPA D4 division
First, for the on topic question. Shawn, you haven't addressed the webcasting question (as far as I've read). What will you be doing about broadcasting the first event? (Edit: specifically, what divisions will be broadcast, will there be a professional commentating crew, will you be able to choose to watch lower division fields as a separate live feed, etc). I know a lot of my decision will be based on what happens in the first event, but sadly I won't be able to make it out there as either a player or spectator, so I'm hoping to watch from work/home.

Also, when are we going to see a rulebook? Our team participated in a warmup tournament "using the APL rules" that didn't really exist yet. Needless to say, there were arguments with the refs from a few teams and, other than the dirty hang that two teams argued over there was not a single penalty called despite obvious infractions under PSP rules (i.e. playing on with obvious hits, spinning on a player, etc). Refs simply called them out since they didn't have any penalties specified in the cheat sheet. As for the only penalty assessed, the call was sketchy at best: a player checked another player on the field, found what could be considered a mark and told him to drop the flag, the other player picked up the flag and hung it, no point was awarded because the possibly hit player touched the flag and the second player noticably informed the other that he may have been out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taswid View Post
I have friends back east that are ranked d2 from 1 year of playing a local non coached 5 man series with four teams in their div. tell me how that's fair? Thanks for support my point. It's not a fair system working system as cocky they are.

And if it's so hard for college teams why are they on national TV?
I know this has been dropped because it's a hijacked thread discussion, but I'm incredibly curious how this "happened". Just looking at the math:

Base score for event = 90(#teams-place/#teams-1)+10=90(3/3)+10=100
Points earned for event = Base score*division multiplier*Players field multiplier*# Teams multiplier*Age Multiplier=100*x*1.0*0.7*1.0=70x (where x is the division multiplier).
Worst case, you'd need to end the season with 984 pts to be reclassified to D2, so the number of events needed to reach that with all 1st place finishes are: Beginner (984/(70*0.5)=28 events), D5 (14 events), D4 (7 events), D3 (4 events), D2 (2 events). Now this doesn't also consider that only your top 5 scores are counted and the top score drops. So it's literally impossible to obtain a D2 ranking without playing in all D3 or D2 events. And if you place 1st in 5 local D3 events, then it's not unreasonable to assume that team should be promoted to D2 anyway.

Bráithreachas roimh gach uile ní
RIP Brian Carey
Homewood FD
Last Alarm 3-30-10

Last edited by Mack99 : 01-27-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Mack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:41 AM #76
paintsprayerrr

paintsprayerrr plays in the PSP
paintsprayerrr plays in the APPA D1 division
There may be a pro webcast but there will not be a divisional webcast unless those divisional games are played on the pro field which is likely to happen for the higher divisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack99 View Post
First, for the on topic question. Shawn, you haven't addressed the webcasting question (as far as I've read). What will you be doing about broadcasting the first event? (Edit: specifically, what divisions will be broadcast, will there be a professional commentating crew, will you be able to choose to watch lower division fields as a separate live feed, etc). I know a lot of my decision will be based on what happens in the first event, but sadly I won't be able to make it out there as either a player or spectator, so I'm hoping to watch from work/home.

Also, when are we going to see a rulebook? Our team participated in a warmup tournament "using the APL rules" that didn't really exist yet. Needless to say, there were arguments with the refs from a few teams and, other than the dirty hang that two teams argued over there was not a single penalty called despite obvious infractions under PSP rules (i.e. playing on with obvious hits, spinning on a player, etc). Refs simply called them out since they didn't have any penalties specified in the cheat sheet. As for the only penalty assessed, the call was sketchy at best: a player checked another player on the field, found what could be considered a mark and told him to drop the flag, the other player picked up the flag and hung it, no point was awarded because the possibly hit player touched the flag and the second player noticably informed the other that he may have been out.

I know this has been dropped because it's a hijacked thread discussion, but I'm incredibly curious how this "happened". Just looking at the math:

Base score for event = 90(#teams-place/#teams-1)+10=90(3/3)+10=100
Points earned for event = Base score*division multiplier*Players field multiplier*# Teams multiplier*Age Multiplier=100*x*1.0*0.7*1.0=70x (where x is the division multiplier).
Worst case, you'd need to end the season with 984 pts to be reclassified to D2, so the number of events needed to reach that with all 1st place finishes are: Beginner (984/(70*0.5)=28 events), D5 (14 events), D4 (7 events), D3 (4 events), D2 (2 events). Now this doesn't also consider that only your top 5 scores are counted and the top score drops. So it's literally impossible to obtain a D2 ranking without playing in all D3 or D2 events. And if you place 1st in 5 local D3 events, then it's not unreasonable to assume that team should be promoted to D2 anyway.
paintsprayerrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 AM #77
PaintballinRider

PaintballinRider plays in the APPA D4 division
PaintballinRider has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PaintballinRider has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Hopefully we see more teams signed up. The pickings are pretty slim at the moment with only a few teams in each and one where there is only a single team signed up.
PaintballinRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 PM #78
Biggest Johnson

Biggest Johnson owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Actually I tell him to return the jewelry and "take my wife" Please !
Biggest Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote