PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-17-2013, 09:51 PM #1
Jt's_ego11

Jt's_ego11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Best and worst things about being a referee

Hey guys I have been refusing at my local field for about 4 months now. In this time I have learned a lot and been exposed to so many situations with just plain stupid people.

What do you guys like about reffing?
I love seeing people get into the sport and come out with smiles after a game. Outweighs all the negatives.

What do you guys hate about reffing?
I hate it when....
People take their masks off in the middle of the game.
They want to complain to you about stuff that is out of your control and trying to do your job (having to wait because the field didn't have enough rental guns)
Loose their barrel bags when you tell them to put it in your pocket.
Getting shot in the head by a 10 year old from 10' away.
People that don't understand that regular gun safety principles still apply to paintball guns.

Also another thing it was wondering is what should be done as far as people who break the rules?

Masks and barrel bags on and so on...
Currently the field is growing and is in its first year of business so would sitting people for a game if they break the rules twice be bad for the future of the field? People take their masks off while the game in still going on after I have told the person at least 3 times to put their mask on.

Last edited by Jt's_ego11 : 11-17-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Jt's_ego11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2013, 03:47 PM #2
lobo1
MedleyPaintballPark

lobo1 plays in the PSP
lobo1 is an NCPA player
lobo1 plays in the APPA D1 division
There's not much you can do when people take their masks on mid game like that. Ive seen countless of times when that has occurred at our field and all we can do is yell loud enough at that person so that first he puts his mask on and second that hopefully we screamed loud enough that it scared him into never taking his mask off again.

Keep in mind you want to lead with example. So if players see you with your mask off, then they think its okay to copy that. We made sure that all the refs at all times had their masks on when on the field.

rip Ian Guckian
lobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:40 AM #3
TehTerribleRef

You see all kinds of stuff at your local field, players taking masks off, *****ing about what field we're playing, the fact you didn't call a clean player out, etc...

Tournament level paintball you get a lot of *******s who don't understand the rules and try to tell you how the rulebook was written. I throw more flags for arguing than anything else probably. You were shot, get off my field. Don't stand there and argue about the fact you're out.
TehTerribleRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:49 AM #4
ChaseJax

ChaseJax is attending Decay of Nations VII
ChaseJax supports Empire
Where I play if someone takes a mask off they blow the whistles signaling game over.
I remember not too long ago same kid did it twice... REALLY annoying.
ChaseJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:13 AM #5
impulseballer42586
WCPS Operations Manager

Annual Supporting Member
impulseballer42586 is a Moderator
impulseballer42586 is Legendary
I haven't really reffed much rec play, but I was always given the tomato example, and that usually makes people understand the dangers.

I've been told a tomato is very similar consistency to the human eye, so ask them what would happen if you shot a tomato with a paintball gun....THAT'S YOUR EYE!

Lol, tends to scare them a little straight.

Step #1 - Go Here
Step #2 - Read This
Step #3 - Don't talk about fight club
impulseballer42586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:24 AM #6
calvman
Clickety screeeee

Annual Supporting Member
calvman is a Mega Moderator
calvman is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
calvman is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulseballer42586 View Post
I haven't really reffed much rec play, but I was always given the tomato example, and that usually makes people understand the dangers.

I've been told a tomato is very similar consistency to the human eye, so ask them what would happen if you shot a tomato with a paintball gun....THAT'S YOUR EYE!

Lol, tends to scare them a little straight.
I don't know if a tomato is a good stand in for an eye, but the use of it as demonstration is a great idea!

Of course the only problem is getting a bunch of tomatoes to the field.

"Always buy the biggest bottle."

ASM|macroline guy|BPP|DAB Photo|Inception|Powered by EXALT
calvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:56 AM #7
impulseballer42586
WCPS Operations Manager

Annual Supporting Member
impulseballer42586 is a Moderator
impulseballer42586 is Legendary
Yeah, even if it's not 100% true, noobies aren't going to call you on it, and it gets a good point across.

Step #1 - Go Here
Step #2 - Read This
Step #3 - Don't talk about fight club
impulseballer42586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:30 PM #8
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehTerribleRef View Post
You see all kinds of stuff at your local field, players taking masks off, *****ing about what field we're playing, the fact you didn't call a clean player out, etc...

Tournament level paintball you get a lot of *******s who don't understand the rules and try to tell you how the rulebook was written. I throw more flags for arguing than anything else probably. You were shot, get off my field. Don't stand there and argue about the fact you're out.
Judging by your post and your calling the people paying your check "*******s" I am going to assume you're not a field ultimate anywhere which, in no case does that make it "your" field. Correct, most players don't understand the rules. Correct, penalties are commonly thrown for arguing during a point. But you still shouldn't call your customers who are giving you money *******s. Quite unprofessional.

EDIT: Masks coming off should be covered in a safety meeting prior to the start of the day. If a player removes their mask, as a referee it is your obligation to protect that player. Get to them, yell, get their mask back on as quickly as possible even if that means dragging them to the ground and getting your back eaten up.

As far as punishment, 3 strikes. First time you sit a game. Second time you sit two games. Third time, you're out for the day. Pretty simple and they usually figure out that you're not screwing with them and that all the money they spent is down the drain now.

Last edited by simple_condolences : 12-08-2013 at 04:33 PM.
simple_condolences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:23 PM #9
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is playing at Living Legends V
Racso is playing at Living Legends VI
Racso is playing at Living Legends VII
Racso is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt's_ego11 View Post
I don't think there is much that I actually like, but there is stuff that I hope I am accomplishing. I hope to be teaching newer players the importance of safety.

Quote:
Mask taken off mid game
Getting shot
Mask taken off mid game
Forgotten barrel covers
Mask taken off mid game
Not being listened to
Mask taken off mid game
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:12 PM #10
Shiner777
Seahawks Nation

Shiner777 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Shiner777 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Shiner777 plays in the APPA D4 division
Shiner777 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racso View Post
I don't think there is much that I actually like, but there is stuff that I hope I am accomplishing. I hope to be teaching newer players the importance of safety.

Mask taken off mid game
Getting shot
Mask taken off mid game
Forgotten barrel covers
Mask taken off mid game
Not being listened to
Mask taken off mid game
^^^ THIS guy^^^

Nailed it love helping and teaching new players
all that i hated
Shiner777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:56 AM #11
iStepbroi
Sauce

iStepbroi plays in the PSP
iStepbroi is playing at Living Legends VII
iStepbroi owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
iStepbroi plays in the APPA D4 division
iStepbroi supports Empire
Quote:

Mask taken off mid game
Getting shot
Mask taken off mid game
Forgotten barrel covers
Mask taken off mid game
Not being listened to
Mask taken off mid game
definitely this...
Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 PM #12
jesseywithers
code red paintball

jesseywithers is playing at Living Legends VII
jesseywithers has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jesseywithers has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
jesseywithers supports Empire
People that take there masks off
Getting shot while im moveing to a diff location when im openly wearing a yellow jersey that plainly says referee
Losing our barrel socks(if they dont find it we make them buy one to replace it)
Not listening
People hiding behind where im posted tryin to use me as a deterent for getting shot at

but it all makes up for it when I see kids come out of the field with huge smiles on there faces sayin that they love our sport and they cant wait to come back

System X NME
Evil Minion 07
CODE RED PAINTBALL

Last edited by jesseywithers : 01-20-2014 at 08:59 PM.
jesseywithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:29 PM #13
Marci

Marci owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I actually like being a referee. I guess my favorite part is when everyone is following the rules and having fun. Once I know a group isn't going to be a safety issue I can relax and have fun with them. I try to make it so that players want to come back out.

As for what I don't like... I guess that would be having to deal with people who have NO sense of safety whatsoever. I swear those kinds of groups are the most stressful/annoying. Another big problem with me are the experienced players who join in games with people who obviously have no skill and take advantage over that. Like, it'd be one thing if they were just having fun, but there are people who unnecessarily go all out and light people up with rental guns. Like holy crap, can you not just one ball it? This Saturday I had some adult play with some kids and we just lighting the daylights out of these kids. One of my friends was playing that day so I told him to jump in and single out the adult to give him a taste of his own medicine.
Marci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 PM #14
zackattack9909
Sucka Free Sunday

zackattack9909 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
zackattack9909 supports Team VICIOUS
zackattack9909 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
zackattack9909 supports DLX Technology
I love watching everybody have fun. I try my best to be a fun ref, while still strict to the rules, and seeing everybody come off the field with a smile (after the initial sting of the hit, of course) makes it worthwhile to me. Oh, and getting a little pocket change as a college student is always nice

As so many of you guys have said, one of the worst things is people taking their masks off. That to me is still nowhere near as bad as the people who come up to me and get in my face about a call. Sure, just because the ball hit you where you can't see if there's paint or not doesn't entitle you to yell at the ref and get in their face. I've had a couple of those over the year I've been reffing. The tryhards always suck too, the ones who have guns waaaaay above their skill level (I'm talking, there's this 11 year old kid at my field with a DM13) and just go 12.5 ramp all day, and don't stand the concept of overshooting, causing people to complain to me about it. Or the mom's trying to take a good camera shot of their baby without the net being in their way, totally oblivious to the fact that they could be shot without a mask on. Or, the worst are the players who decide that because they are paying, they can play how they want to play, and not how the rules dictate. I could go on and on about the worst things. But, still, the smiles on those people's faces make it worth it to me at the end of the day.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:30 PM #15
EmpireEmperor

EmpireEmperor is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
EmpireEmperor is Legendary
You get to hoard all the pods that are left on the field at the end of the day.
EmpireEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:32 AM #16
ryder_hogle

reffing is fun to get the sport to grow more but you have to make sure everyone is safe in doing so. We want to send them home with all of their extremities lol
ryder_hogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:40 PM #17
ThatOneNiceRef

ThatOneNiceRef owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
ThatOneNiceRef has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

Mask taken off mid game
Getting shot
Mask taken off mid game
Forgotten barrel covers
Mask taken off mid game
Not being listened to
Mask taken off mid game

This guy, all the way.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:27 AM #18
bag681

bag681 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I carry a sharpie and a knife downfield. If you take off your mask, you get an x on your wristband. If you do it again, I cut it and you go home.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:03 PM #19
907stone
AK Pump

907stone has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

Mask taken off mid game
Getting shot
Mask taken off mid game
Forgotten barrel covers
Mask taken off mid game
Not being listened to
Mask taken off mid game
this!
Quote:
i like helping out at my field and the pocket money is nice too (I'm 20 and work a full 40 hour job m-f)
Quote:
the #1 worst thing ever about reffing is that you don't get to play imo
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple_condolences View Post
Judging by your post and your calling the people paying your check "*******s" I am going to assume you're not a field ultimate anywhere which, in no case does that make it "your" field. Correct, most players don't understand the rules. Correct, penalties are commonly thrown for arguing during a point. But you still shouldn't call your customers who are giving you money *******s. Quite unprofessional.

EDIT: Masks coming off should be covered in a safety meeting prior to the start of the day. If a player removes their mask, as a referee it is your obligation to protect that player. Get to them, yell, get their mask back on as quickly as possible even if that means dragging them to the ground and getting your back eaten up.

As far as punishment, 3 strikes. First time you sit a game. Second time you sit two games. Third time, you're out for the day. Pretty simple and they usually figure out that you're not screwing with them and that all the money they spent is down the drain now.
its pretty common practice for a ref at a smaller place to claim a field as his, especially since he is probably the only one on the field and is taking personal responsibility all players on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag681 View Post
I carry a sharpie and a knife downfield. If you take off your mask, you get an x on your wristband. If you do it again, I cut it and you go home.
good idea, its too wet at our field right now to do sharpie or wristbands but i might suggest we do that in the spring.
Originally posted by Kindadinosaur "Adrenaline. Itís what drives us to return to the field, week after week. The bruises we wear are badges of honor, and proof of our dedication to our chosen craft. One need only examine the smoking remains of our bank balances to see the extent of this addiction. We breath paintball. We live paintball. We are paintball."

PUMP OT
907stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:17 AM #20
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907stone View Post
its pretty common practice for a ref at a smaller place to claim a field as his, especially since he is probably the only one on the field and is taking personal responsibility all players on it
Generally I would agree with you. I've been in this sport a long time and I understand how recreational fields are run, large and small, and I understand how tournament fields are run.

In no case does this guy have the right to use the word "my" unless he is signing his own pay check. He may be the person working on the field for the day, but he's still being an *** clown to those people.
simple_condolences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:35 PM #21
jronzo
passing by your bunker

jronzo owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jronzo has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jronzo has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Typically for reffing at my local field i adapted what my coaches/head refs rules 1: you take your mask off mid game i yell at you 2nd time i see your mask lift off i tackle you and put it on for you then tell you youre done for the day. 2:i go through the safety briefing 3 times during the day, beginning if the day, around noon, and finally an hour before we get done.